+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: weightlifting/resistance training  (Read 57055 times)

Bionic

Re: weightlifting/resistance training
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »
I took years off from squats--I mean like over a decade.  Yet my response to starting again was almost immediate.  My legs started inflating with obvious definition.  My pants started feeling tight.  I started at 100#, and now, 1 month later, 225# feels light.  It's amazing how fast you get your strength back, assuming you had it before.

I wouldn't worry about losing ground from taking time off.  The rest might actually be good for you.  And it comes raging back as soon as you start again.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

Buster

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »
Good to hear you're making progress.  Keep me posted as I would like to be able to squat and deadlift when the doc gives the okay. I to feel that squatting would be okay after all the surrounding muscle has healed. I don't think there will be a pounding on the joint like running would cause.  I train with a small group and we do an occasional powerlifting meet.  For me it will be bench only for awhile.

jwtoto

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
This is a great discussion and really relevant to what I'd like to be doing soon. I am scheduled to have my right hip done by Dr. Su on April 15th. But I have a question: even if you don't do squats, in order to work your upper body with free weights you have to carry the wait to lift it. I mean your legs have to get involved even if you don't do deadlifts or squats when you use free weights. Are we talking about working out with machines only here in this discussion?

Jerry
                                        soon to have right hip done by Dr. Su
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

Buster

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
Hi Jerry

I started out with 30lb dumbells 2 weeks after surgery doing overhead press.  I would grab them off the DB rack so I didn't have to bend over.  I then went to light bench press at about 4 weeks being careful not to use leg drive during the press. I also did various upper body machines just to keep active. At 8 weeks during a doctor visit he advised not doing any lower body with weights, machine or free weights.  He said deep knee bends and band work that the PT showed me were okay.  My flexibility is pretty good now where my operated side is already better than at pre surgery.  No problem at all clipping toe nails and putting on socks and shoes.  Judging by the way I can go deep with bodyweight squat squats with weights shouldn't be a problem when the time comes.  I might not be able to go as heavy as I once could but I'll take whatever I can handle.  Joe

jwtoto

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
Hey Joe,

So I take it there was no weight carrying limit that your doctor gave you, if I understand you correctly. The reason I ask is my doc, Dr. Su, has a 20 lb. weight carrying limit for 3 months, then 50 lb. limit for the next 3 months, then (if there are no complications, I assume) you go unrestricted. I got that from his website. I need to ask Dr. Su more specifically what he means by this but, on the face of it, it looks like I won't be able to carry any free weights heavier than 10 pound dumbbells for three months, then I can go up to 25 pounders for the next three. If that is the case I'll just have to bide my time and do body weight exercises, which can be challenging if done correctly. Maybe Dr. Su is pretty conservative about the weight carrying part of his recovery protocol.
Did you say who your doctor was? I missed that.

Jerry   
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

Buster

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
I didn't walk around with the weight, I just took the db's off the rack and alternated pressing over head.  I didn't feel any strain so I just went with it.  I definitely wouldn't bend over and try to pick them up off the floor or walk around with them.  I now do yard work pushing around the wheel barrel loaded with yard waste and don't feel strained at all.  My surgeon was Dr. Della Valle at Rush Medical in Chicago and he really only advised against lower body weight lifting and running.  I think you're safe to go with upper body machines.  I used to sit on a yoga block to make sure I didn't violate the 90 degree rule when sitting down using them. At 8 weeks he took the 90 degree rule off and I feel better every day.  It's a little tight in the buttock sometime but after sitting awhile the stiffness goes away and it really isn't that bad to begin with.  Doing the side and forward step with the bands around the ankles really make it feel good after.  Also balancing on one leg for 45 seconds at a time doing 3 sets each leg also works well for me.  I used to feel the operated side after putting the other foot back on the ground but now I feel nothing!  A sigh that the muscles are getting stronger.  When you start PT they will show you all kinds of good stuff to do.  Don't strain and it gets better and better every day.

moe

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »
I started leg weight training at about 8 weeks, I found lunges much more challenging than squats, even now at 8 months. It's the balance part that's tough but really worth working on. I also like lying down and doing various movements with ankle weights. It really targets those muscles that have been cut. I use the therabands also. moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

sheptr

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »
I am 12 weeks post op and have been doing upper body exercises since the 4th week post op.
My doc advised 20lb carry limit the first 3-4 months, I see him again in 2 weeks, when I think I will be
upgraded to 50lbs carry limit. 
I have a squat cage at home with the weight tree directy next to it, so I have been able to load the
bar without carrying the weights around, and can get as much as I want or can push/pull on the bar.  I also have a set of Powerblock adjustable dumbells that go up to 130 lbs each, and have been using them at that weight.  I moved them on their stand into the cage and can use them as well.  Because I am not punishing my body with squats & deadlifts yet, my upper body has been making some great gains. I am looking forward to being able to start squatting again.

Todd
LBHR, 12/31/09  Dr.Su
LBHR - 12/31/2009 - Dr. Su

Buster

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 09:07:02 AM »
Hey Todd

Sounds like you've done a little powerlifting.  130lb db's is a lot of weight to be throwing around so close to surgery.  Only my buddy who has benched 500, with good hips can handle that...lol.  Keep posting on your progress.  It's good to hear from others with the same interests.  Joe

Buster

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »
Just got back from the 4 month checkup.  The doc said no running or squatting until the 1 yr mark which will be when I see him next. He said the bone needs this time to heal completely. I guess it will be bench only for awhile.

stephen

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
I'm seven months in recovery and back in the gym doing what my body knows best; weight training. My endurance is down, but I see an increase in my strength weekly. I'm 50 and had my right hip done last March.

I just got done doing my third workout ofd oing squats and can do 3 sets of 10 with 225 (not a lot since I was once a 500LB squater). I get tighter in my hip muscle with each set, but the next day it feels fine.

I also can jog on a treadmill for 2-3 miles at a slow pace with no pain in the hip anymore.

Buster

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »
Stephen, good to see another lifter on here.  My doc said not to lift heavy until the 1yr mark which will be Dec 18th.  I've been doing a lot of walking and the leg press machine with moderate weight.  I too had a 500pr squat in the gym and 451 in competition prior to the resurface.  I would like to get back heavy but will wait until getting the ok.  I think running would be harder on the hip than squatting?  Post your progress so I know what to expect.  Joe

stephen

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 05:50:13 PM »
Buster,

My year will be March 2011. I probably won't do heavy sets anymore due to age (50+) but I can still train to stay in shape. Power lifting has been out since I was in my early 20's. Gyms don't like you dropping all that weight when you train so I stopped doing it for "etiquete" reasons.

I enjoy weight training now for its benefits and now watch the up and coming young guys and try yo teach them what I learned over my years.

Buster

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
Got the doc ok to lift heavy.  Today I squatted 225x8x3sets and deadlifted 225x5x3sets and am feeling it already.  Before the resurfacing I was able to squat 500 and DL 450.  I will take it slow and see how it goes.

sheptr

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
That is great news Buster!  I hit my one year mark December 31st.  See Dr Su on the 12th of January and hope to be following in your footsteps in regards to the squatting/deadlifts.  Keep us updated with your progress.

Todd
Dr Su
LBHR
12/31/09
LBHR - 12/31/2009 - Dr. Su

Buster

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 04:15:19 PM »
Second squat/deadlift workout since doctor ok.  Did 3 sets of 8 with 245 after warmup in both with just wrist wraps.  Weight feels heavy on shoulders during squat but ok during deadlift.  Taking it slow going one workout a week.  I was really sore for a day or two after the first workout last week, mostly back stiffness.  Will see how I feel tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:16:32 PM by Buster »

Buster

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »
I have done 2 powerlifting meets since getting the okay to lift heavy.  The last meet on March 5th I did a 365lb squat, 308 bench and 385 deadlift.  After today's workout I actually think I might be able to hit my pre surgery pr's of 451 squat and 441 deadlift.  Time will tell and I'm taking it slow.

Krunch

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
Congrats on the post-op meets.  As an ex-competitive powerlifter it's great to hear of guys training and competing after surgery.  What wt. class did you lift at?  Best of luck down the road.

Train hard - train smart,
Craig
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

Buster

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »
Hi Craig.  I lift in the 198lb class usually weighing 195 at 5' 10", pretty skinny for a powerlifter...lol.  I lift for fun and never come close to what others lift.  I entered my first meet at 50 yrs old and turn 56 in June.  Had the right hip resurfaced in Dec 09.  The weights are feeling pretty good.  Take it slow during your recovery.  Joe

phillwad

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »
Amazing - just amazing  :o

Thanks for the story - not sure I will be taking up power lifting but will stick with getting back on my mountain bike

Again - "wow"

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat