+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: weightlifting/resistance training  (Read 57048 times)

Buster

Re: weightlifting/resistance training
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
Did another meet last Saturday 3/10.  420 squat, over 400 for the first time since the resurface.  452 dead lift, had 463 above the knees but couldn't lock it out.  Hips are a little tight now but overall not too bad.

hernanu

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
That's excellent, Buster - not at all a competitive lifter, but I also want to know the limits to reach. Thanks for posting, it's encouraging that you got back to your previous numbers.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
Awesome!!!!....what did you bench?

Buster

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
Benched 303.  Locked out 314.5 but the butt came up.

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Gotta love the 1175 total !! congrats

Buster

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Thanks!  My best before the resurface was 545kg/1201.5lbs.  I'm still not up to my old squat which was 205kg/451lbs and I've benched more.  The dead lift was more than I ever did, even before the resurface by 5kg.  The best news is that I don't have any aches and its only 2 days since the meet!  If training goes well I will lift again in July.

Krunch

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »
Congrats on all of your lifts, Joe.  Looks like your training is really progressing.  I've started squatting and deadlifting along with upper body stuff.  A lot of muscular pain, but the hip is great.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Craig
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

phillwad

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »
Wow - I just lift light weights to keep tone - what you describe is amazing

Buster

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
Tripled 385 in the squat today and dead lifted 340 8X Wednesday.  Knock on wood but I think the hip is holding up nicely.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 05:00:35 AM »
Buster WOW! that's awesome!!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
Great results, buster!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mick11

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
Hello Buster (Joe), or anyone else who can help with information. My name is Eric Mickley and I sure would appreciate it if you would help me by answingering some questions about your experiences with the resurfacing. I'm a former California NASA Drug Free State Powerlifting Champion way back in 1991, and started up again about five months ago at the age of 48. Even though I hadn't lifted in a long time, my totals are getting back up near where they were when I competed, but the old hip injury just kept getting worse and worse. It has gotten so bad I can't tie my shoes and I am walking with a very bad and very painful limp, doing everything hurts. I can stand up quicker with 455 than I can with no weight. Just getting up out of a chair is excruciating, so I went to a doctor and was told my hip was beyond repair. Cartilage worn through, labral tears, osteoarthritis, bone spurs etc.. Two doctors, and two identical diagnosis' later, I am contemplating a hip resurfacing. I am extremely concerned that I may never Powerlift again. Today, my doctor told me that I wouldn't be able to do squats and or deadlifts ever again, after getting the resurfacing, but almost any other activity would be O.K.. Needless to say, I felt gut-shot. I thought I was going to throw up. Reading your story gave me some new hope, and I am curious to learn the details about your procedure, which device you had put in, BHR? Cemented or not? My Doctor does cemented, but I've heard it's not as good. Which procedure/approach, Superpath? Etc.. And most importantly, if you have had any problems with the heavy iron. I'm currently squatting about 455 for five reps in training with my labrum torn, which puts my squat around 500 for a single, even when injured. I would like to be able to go up to 600-700lb squat and DL, and I am concerned about the hip holding up, neck fracture, etc.. I suspect my doctor is being cautious because 1. it's unknown ground, as no one he's heard of has gone that heavy with a hip resurface, you are the heaviest to my knowledge. and 2. fear of liability. Your story gives me some hope. Do you know of anyone who has gone that heavy? Have you heard of anyone getting a pelvic neck fracture after 6 months? I've worked so hard, It's my passion and I don't want to quit. I don't mind taking a year off, as it comes back pretty quick for me (about 6-9 months to go from beginning to my pr's). I just don't want to do this resurfacing if I have to quit lifting forever. Sorry for the long email, I guess I'm still upset by what the doctor told me. Thank you for your advice and information, Eric

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
Eric welcome mate. I can't really shed much light on the poundages that you want to lift. But on the device side personally I'd go for the BHR it's the most proven device out there with the best track record. The cementless debate to me is a bit misleading as the BHR has no problem with cement failure. Cement is used differently in the BHR than other HR's and thrs and McMinn has never had a femoral component come loose! In theory.I can see the cementless has advantages but that's in theory. In theory the ASR was better than the BHR and we all know how that turned out!
The recipe for a good outcome with hip resurfacing is simple, get THE BEST SURGEON YOU CAN FIND, use A PROVEN DEVICE, then ALLOW YOUR BODY TO HEAL. If you do this you will have a great result!
Danmy
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

stephen1254

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
I think the jury is still out on this. As I recall Buster didn't start squatting with weight until one year. I would think at one year that you would be pretty safe with the cup, but I'm still not comfortable with the cap on the femur neck. Since bone was removed from the center there is less bone even after healing. The addition of the metal spike in the center may strengthen the femoral neck - after it fully heals - or create some additional loading in some other area. I don't think anybody really knows. I have read on this site that Dr.'s haven't seen a femoral neck fracture after 6 months. I assume there are HR patients that are doing heavy squats.

I've been doing 100 deep knee bends and 100 very light leg presses on leg days since 7 weeks - with my Dr.'s approval. At 4 months he cleared me to do squats with just the barbell, but he was concerned about the ultimate amount of weight I could squat. There wasn't a number given; just 45 lbs was OK and 200 lbs seemed to be too much.

I'm at about 5.5 months and yesterday I squatted with weight for the first time, holding 25 lb dumbells. I'm going to limit the weight to 50 lbs or so for the foreseeable future and see how it goes. How much weight I can ultimately squat is a real unknown right now.

As far as the operation is concerned, you can't tie your shoes now and everything hurts. It isn't going to get better so your choices are not being able to walk, or being able to walk without any pain at all, but maybe not do heavy squats. When you look at it that way it isn't too tough a call.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Buster

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
Again, my doctor told me I could do whatever I wanted after 1 year. My 3 yr check up is due in December and I will tell the doc how its going.  Wednesday I dead lifted 395 for 5 reps and today squatted 400 for 1.  I have chatted with Ed Coan who is considered the greatest power lifter of all time and he is up to 700 in the squat.  Ed had a total hip done in Norway about 18 months ago.  I squatted heavy up until the night before my surgery wanting to make sure the surrounding muscle was strong to help in recovery.  At 57 my dead lift is stronger now then before the resurface.

Mccoolio

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »
hey guys,

Had my left hip resurfaced 10-2-12 by Dr Christie in Nashville. Before surgery I was squatting 405 for 5-8, Leg Pressing 700-800 for about 6 reps and stiff legged deadlifts 225 for 6-8. I had about stopped regular deadlifting because of back issues.  Dr Christie said I could get back to heavy squatting after 6 months. I gradually started back and now am up to 295 for 8. Every time I go up in weight the hip hurts a little bit but that seems to be normal. I only go parallel. I'm shooting for 315 for 10 reps or so at some point. Don't really feel the need to go any heavier.

My question is: since squatting, leg presses and hamstring work isn't a pounding movement does it contribute at all to wear? Also shouldn't building up all the muscles and tendons around the implant be a really good thing?   

thanks,

Donnie

Buster

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Donnie, I agree and my doctor said the same.  I squat and dead the heaviest I can.  In fact my dead lift is higher than before the resurfacing.  Squat is lagging but I'm working on it.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 12:53:19 AM »
Squatting will probably contribute to wear but in such a small way not even worth mentioning. How ever remember that real deep squats do edge load the device so personally I'd only squat to parallel
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

23109VC

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2013, 01:15:47 AM »
I had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross two years ago

I've been lifting weights the last six months very aggressively including heavy leg presses leg extensions and leg curls.

I'm also doing extensive jump roping

Every once in a while I'll get a little twinge in my hip, but most of the time it feels better than my UN-operated hip!

If I jog after about a mile I start to get soreness in my soft tissue around the incision so I pretty much avoided running-  cycling ellipticals even basketball doesn't seem to bother it at all

Good luck!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Roger H.

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2013, 01:09:17 AM »
I was an elite, drug-free, super-heavyweight powerlifter for many years and was inducted into the USA Powerlifting Hall of Fame in '09 at the age of 55.  My best lifts that year were a Squat of 771 lbs, Bench Press of 505 lbs and a 705 lb deadlift. 

I retired from competition after the '09 IPF Masters World Championships in the Czech Republic, as I could hardly walk afterwards, due to the severe osteoarthritis, which crept up on me over a 2-3 year period.  I had bilateral hip resurfacing on Monday & Wednesday of the same week in April of 2011.  I walked out at discharge without crutches and at day 13, I was hitting balls at the driving range and playing racquetball at 90 days.

I came back to weightlifting a bit too fast and within 6 months I was deadlifting well over 500 lbs for reps and squatting rep sets of 315 lbs.  I decided to play golf for the next couple of years, doing hundreds of miles of walking and letting the bones heal.  I returned to the gym 6 weeks ago and am doing low (12") box squats, 5x5 at 275 lbs with a wide stance.  I began deadlifting last week and I've been warming up, then doing pulls of 5x5 at 365 lbs, just enough to break a sweat.  I'm doing bench press sets at 5x3 at 275 lbs.  I could easily deadlift over 500 lbs my first month back, but for what?  I intend on training my usual 4 day split (Monday/Bench, Tuesday/Squat, Thursday/Bench, Friday/Deadlift) but try to keep with intensity at a moderate level.  I may come back as a Masters III ('60-'69 age group) in a year and a half but am unsure if I want to flip that switch back on again.

I walk and lift without any pain and I came home on Ibuprofen-only and that's all I ever use, mainly after playing 36-72 holes in a day, golfing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat