+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: deep water running  (Read 4976 times)

hipnhop

deep water running
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
prior to my hr I was doing a lot of deepbwater running, at least 2 to 3 hrs per session 2x a wee to get me ready for I'M. The pain from running on pavement was to intense. I would do an outdoor 8 ile run once a week just for some impact.

Deep water running for three hours in really boring but doable. Except for cold, I wore a wet shirt to help keep warm.  I plan to do it agaim post op to keep. Impact off devixe. I might increase outside mileage a little.

Has anyone heard of any scientific studies translating water running to actual distance running. I try to get my heart rate to 120 but it is so hard when u have the water cooling you down.  Besdies finding the right time to carve out deep water running time so the water aerobicsladies don't kick me out, it was fun
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Lopsided

Re: deep water running
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
Not quite the answer to your post, but the hydrotherapy that I did included running forwards, backwards and on the spot, jumping jacks, and bicycling, all in the pool and with interval training.

Think that helped recovery a lot.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
howdja do it?!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
I am amazed that you had enough ability to move your leg forward and back from the affected hip to do deep-water running pre-op.  I have tried it, but the pain is waaaaay too intense.  Man, I can't wait for this surgery (4/27/11).  I torqued my hip just slightly last night chasing after an old blind basset who was chomping on a rogue piece of kitty poo, and it felt like someone set off a stick of dynamite in my hip.   Looking forward to doing pool-work post-op but wondering how you get in and out of the pool??

(sorry for the hijack.)

kate
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:23:34 PM by katekosar »

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
Depends on your weight. If you are 180 lbs, you burn 650+ calories per hour doing water running, 570+ if you weigh 150. About 11.5 cals per minute. Running you burn 700+ calories per hour.

So while it's not as grueling, you still use a lot of energy. The benefits to the muscles and what gets most exercised requires much better informed people than me.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
Kate, when I was on crutches I would always make sure to leave one crutch by the pool's exit stair.  I would use the other to get to my lane, I would lay the cruthc on the bench then take thre steps and jump in the water.  I would swim with AquaSpere Alpha Fins that require no kick. check them out:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5265.htm

I would push off the wall with my good leg leaving the bad leg fully extended.

When it was time to exit I would just head fro the stairs and my crutch was waiting there for me.
Water running was extremely hard and painful. I would do about 15 minutes with the Water Belt and have to call it a day.  I cant wait to see how long I can go post op.

Tommy

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »
My pt had me doing 2 hours a day in the pool in conjunction with my walk/run routine. I feel it was instrumental in me running a 1/2 marathon at 6 months. My workouts were done in a pool so heart rate wasn't a problem. I learn to respect people who walk and walk fast, sometimes I was almost jogging.
                                                                           Best of luck   Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
This "deep water running" is something I've never heard of.  Do you need any equipment to do it?

I have a 42 foot pool, 10 feet deep at the deep end and about 4 feet at the shallow end.  Do you need deep water or shallow water?  My water should be warm enough to start swimming in another 3 or 4 weeks, depending on the weather, and I would love to find a no-impact way to get some aerobic excercise (besides just lap swimming - which in my pool involves a lot of pushing off the ends).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:54:17 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

halfdone

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
Mike you can check stuff like this on the web, for example
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1078
check out you tube for this and water resistance training
A flotation belt is a useful bit of kit.  Another bit of kit that you might enjoy are these:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Tone-Hydro-Bells-Yellow-Pair/dp/B0026QU8EY/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4
or similar.  They allow you to get some good upper body work without any weight bearing through hips
You might also want to get a neoprene vest or t-shirt to keep you warm, at least initially.
Have fun!

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
Mike, the video is great you can also use your legs like a cross county skier, it help build your hip flexors. I try not the lean to forward in the water.

I use at flotation belt, you can find them at any sport store. The pool water will need to be a foot over your head. You don't want you feet touching the ground. I usually swim for an hour than pool run for 30min.  It will def be more cardio than I need with no impact.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat