+-

Author Topic: Two weeks post op - why does the implant feel like it needs to be lubricated?  (Read 2478 times)

Dayton96

I'm exactly two weeks post op.  I've been off pain meds for at least a week, I'm using a cane and walking every day.  I have one annoying twitch in my recovery.  Whenever I get up after sitting or lying down, whether for a few minutes or a few hours, I feel stiff in the area where I imagine the implant to be.  In fact, I can barely walk.  After a few minutes of slowly moving around, it seems like the implant gets lubricated and the stiffness goes away.  This is pretty consistent.  Does anyone know what's going on here?

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Lopsided

I do not think it is your device that needs lubricating Mac, I think it is your muscles and tendons that are stiff.

With me it did not start for until about week three, and then it lasted about three months.

Look in other posts for 'Startup Stiffness.'

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

obxpelican

That's called startup stiffness, it's quite normal and sometimes can last for a year or so, I cannot remember how long mine lasted, might have been a year.  Many of us had startup stiffness.

Chuck

I'm exactly two weeks post op.  I've been off pain meds for at least a week, I'm using a cane and walking every day.  I have one annoying twitch in my recovery.  Whenever I get up after sitting or lying down, whether for a few minutes or a few hours, I feel stiff in the area where I imagine the implant to be.  In fact, I can barely walk.  After a few minutes of slowly moving around, it seems like the implant gets lubricated and the stiffness goes away.  This is pretty consistent.  Does anyone know what's going on here?

Mac
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

It's you that needs lubrication (I recommend a nice Guiness  :D ).

I still get stiffness after four months. I just had a checkup with my Doc, he liked my range of motion, etc. so I know it's not an issue, but I think it just takes time to go away. My other hip is at 8 months and does not have the stiffness at all, so I expect as everything gets stronger, more flexible and heals, the stiffness goes.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dayton96

Thanks guys.  I went back and read some of the posts on "startup stiffness."  I've been having such a good recovery, I was getting overly confident.  I'm walking around the house without my cane and it seems I'm not sitting for very long before I jump up to take care of something.  The startup stiffness is very annoying, but if it is short term and that is the only problem I have, then certainly a small price to pay to get back my fitness.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Mac,
The others before me already explained the startup stiffness thing. At 11-12 weeks post op I have it too. If I sit too long I really experience it. The first 5 or so steps are very stiff and I probably look like I did before surgery. Then it quickly goes away and I am walking normally and comfortably. I remember reading other posts about this. Hey, it sure is a lot better than before surgery when it would never go away and that's the way we walked all the time!

Steve (newdog)
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hipnhop

Mac, sitting for too long really bothers me so I try to get up every hour and move.  Bought somethign called Joint Juice a the Supermarket. They had 10 for $10. Don't know if it will help but it tastes pretty good (strawberry Kiwi). They were out of WD-40 Flavor.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

bothdone

LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats