+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: 3 Weeks Post Op Report  (Read 4529 times)

hipnhop

3 Weeks Post Op Report
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »
It's been three weeks since my Right Hip HR with Drs. Craig Thomas and Reinalda Horton.  For all my triathlon buddies, here's some advice. Recovery is not a sprint; it's a 1/2 Ironman and I am still in the swim. 

Weight bearing 100% post-op. I am off the crutches, just don't need them. It just happened.  Walking with cane fine but got limp.  Told not to go off cane for another two weeks.  I've been walking 1/2 mile each day. I split 50m with cane, 50 without.  My unoperated hip hurts more than usual. I wish I just got both done at the same time.  I feel my recovery will be shortchanged by the lack of range of motin on unop hip.  Back hurts a little too. Hope to clear it up with pt and core strengthening exercises soon.

Doc told me to stop Lovenox shots at two week mark and start taking baby aspirin. Sleeping is good now. Can roll over with no problem.  Still have 90 degree restrictions.  I wish I could put on my own damn socks.  I couldn't if I wanted to. Hip is too tight and stiff.  Thank God for the sock pully thingy.

Told to try to walk stairs normally, a little scared so I still do one foot down followed by other foot. All the PT seems not to be helping increase flexibility. I think once 90 degree restrictions are off I will be able to stretch the msucle and losen things up.

Got clearance to drive at two weeks but it wasn;t a good idea. Now I feel ok with it but still not comfortable. I am 6 ft tall with long legs. I drive an Ford Expedition but still feel i need more legroom to drive comfortably. Staying out of car as much as possible until I feel better. 

Going to see therapist about issues related to surgery, disability and life. Also planning to visit Walter Reed Army hospital to visit soldiers who lost their limbs in battle. Got the idea from a post. Maybe if I see those who are really going through it I will find some patience to deal with this little bruise.

No pain meds. Dont want to take motrin for bad hip. Just wish I could detox myself off all that junk. The lingering hip issue might make that impossible. Another reason to get both down together.

So tired all the time.  No metal energy to work. I promised I was going to rewrite my first book, devise of survey, get in some good reading - nahhhhhhh. I just veg out on True Blood (Great DVD Series), play Scrabble, video games an dpost on Surface Hippy.  I realize that taking 4 weeks off means taking 4 weeks off.  Don't short change yourself - relax and let your body do its job.

I lost all desire to go to gym or pool right now. Convinced by too many posts that the risk are not worth it. Will likely wait till 5 to 6 weeks before I go to gym or pool. Feel I could it t now but MSRA infection is real. My son just got over one (he's a 19 year old college student). They did not even want me to see him in hospital.

All in all I don't regret it. I have no hop pain on the operated side. Just tightness and a little soreness.
Got to go watch another episode of Try Blood - Love those "Fang BAngers."

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

jjmclain

Re: 3 Weeks Post Op Report
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »
Once the 90 degree restriction is lifted, things will get better! It will take a week or two to finally be able to bend down and/or get your socks on etc. I think it was about 5 weeks or 5 1/2 where I could do it comfortably. After 4 weeks, get on a spin bike or a bike trainer because you don't have to worry about the 90 degrees, and it will help your ROM. First pedal stroke will be very tight, stiff, etc. but it will get better! Good Luck!

June

phillwad

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
Hipnhop

You and I must have been in surgery the same day, mine was March 18th.  I do not want to read to much in your post but you seem down - come on we are both on the right side of recovery curve ;D.  I have another hip resurfacing scheduled soon so I will have to go through this again. 

My Doctor keeps us on crutches (yes both sides) for a full 6 weeks.  Two crutches are a pain, I had to lean against a wall last night as I drank a glass of wine at an art show my wife took me to.  I am not allowed to drive for 6 weeks, have to wait until early May :'( - it is humbling to be waiting for everyone to drive you around.

Like you I am normally hyper active and competitive, 80mile mountain bike races, cross country skiing and cyclocross racing.  I am just starting to get calls about group rides, single trail adventures and it sucks to be hobbling around.  Next year I want to be back at full strength

I got a 3 mile walk in yesterday - good to be outside but mit was cool in Cleveland.

Hang tough - Phill

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »
Hip,
Hang in there buddy, it's tough but you'll be alright. I'm not as competitive as you and phillwad but I know what it's like to have to wait to do the things you love to do. I kayak and do what I call extreme backpacking with two of my best friends but have to wait until probably this fall. I can sit in a kayak but can't risk falling on stones if I have to get out or flip over. They have been hounding me ever since I got home from surgery to get out and do stuff. Just don't do anything stupid that could hurt your hips! We're here for you.

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Krunch

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Relax man!  I wish I was at three weeks instead of one. We're all going nuts together, wanting to get back to our life passions. This op is just another level in our training program.

The Deadwood Series is great!

Craig

"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

joedb123

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
Hip, Great post. I signed on today to give a two week post op report and saw your 3 week, perfect timing. I am at 2 weeks 2 days post op. I have been on a walker for most of the last two weeks and also rented a wheelchair just to lounge around my living room. over the last 4 or so days I started using elbow crutches and went out for a walk around the block yesterday (first time outside in two weeks), it was tough but gratifying. I am regaining a little more strength every day and at certain moments feel like I could start dancing! On the pain side I steel feel a fair amount. I feel it at the incision and I still get muscular discomfort at night. I think that comes mostly from being so still on my back. I am still taking painkillers at night as they just help me sleep and sometimes during the day if I feel I need them. I am staying very consistent with my exercises and I think that is helping alot. I for one had quite a bit of swelling in my thigh for the first 7 days after the operation that swelling then went to my foot and is now finally gone. At his point I am still sleeping on my back and it is driving me nutty. Just last night the inevitable happened; half asleep I forgot I was a surface hippy, and flung myself onto my side, woops! A little painful but not too bad. I am hoping, like you I will be able to sleep in my old favorite positions at 3 weeks.

On the mental side of things I can relate to all of what you say. This is a long tough slog! the key word to my mind is PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!!! (OK 3 words). I really believe the key to this is careful and thoughtful recovery. This is all going to pay off in the end.  As far as doing all those things you said you would do while recovering, don't sweat them. I said the same things and I thing the only thing I have really acheived is a record amount of scratching my nuts.
Don't be hard on yourself over this issue. The only thing you need to achieve right now is HEALING. If you accomplish that you have accomplished all you need to during this period of time. Be a friend to yourself and don't worry about it. I can say however my Call of Duty skills have improved greatly, yippee!

Anyway thats my report. It feels great to share this experience, it really makes a difference for me. Feel good hipnhop, better times are coming!

Joe

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »
Went to the gym yesterday and rode stationary cycle so easily and with no pain. I was amazed. I had the seat up high to limit range of motion but I was able to ride comfortably. In fact, I noticed no difference in power pre and post surgery.  I had resistance on a 8 out of 20 and held rpm at 84 for 20 minutes. Felt good to break a sweat. Tried to do elliptical - after 5 minutes gave it up. Too much pain. Both of these exercises were cleared by my PT. Did some upper body exercises and did my PT routine afterwards. 

Last night - Slept like a baby.

Krunch

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »
Way to go!  Glad to of a great day in the gym.  The weights are callling me, but I'm not answering them............yet.  Keep up the good work.

Train hard, train smart
Craig
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

Ernie

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »
day 10 I did some pull ups and dips in my home gym, since neither puts any weight on the operated leg.  It felt great.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

richardLB

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »
Hi just read your 3 week op report , i am at 5 weeks now. i was told by my surgeon to be on two crutches for 4 weeks and have 2 weeks on one crutch with gradually putting full weight on the resurfaced Hip.  i understand how you feel as i am an active mountaineer and climber its what i do for a living.  My Advice is don't jump ahead even if you can .by using the two crutches for so long you get to walk in a proper manner with no limp, as i moved to one crutch i was able to just carry on walking in a normal manner.

I started my 5th week with a long walk on dartmoor (uk Devon) in the blazing sun with no  pain or stiffness although i do get some discomfort in the groin area sometime. i am now going to the gym this week walking slowly with no support on the tred mill ,feels weird with a little bit of off balance. but going on the static bike is great and enables you to get a bit of cardio without straining the hip.

I am really rambling on so sorry for that, but you sounded so down and i just wanted to let you know it gets better so hang in there.

phillwad

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
RichardLB
Great to hear you have got out, I am still walking outside on the sidewalks.  I grew up in England and did loads of Boy Scout hikes on Dartmoor - memories flooding back  ;D - Thanks

Hip - I also rode the stationary bike the last couple of days but you are infront on me - my goal is to ride and not break out in to a sweat! - that is hard to do compared to where I was pre-op.  I am going to hang in with low levels for 6 weeks and my first post op doctors appointment - see what he says then.

Great work - Cheers - Phill

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
Went to the gym yesterday and rode stationary cycle so easily and with no pain. I was amazed. I had the seat up high to limit range of motion but I was able to ride comfortably. In fact, I noticed no difference in power pre and post surgery.  I had resistance on a 8 out of 20 and held rpm at 84 for 20 minutes. Felt good to break a sweat. Tried to do elliptical - after 5 minutes gave it up. Too much pain. Both of these exercises were cleared by my PT. Did some upper body exercises and did my PT routine afterwards. 

Last night - Slept like a baby.

Great results, hip! I was about the same at your stage (maybe not quite so much resistance). It just felt great to get on the bike and not have my ankle or heel hitting it as I pedaled. Just smooth sailing. I didn't even care how fast I went (well maybe a little) or how much I sweated, I was just glorying in the feel of an unimpeded stroke on my left after the first surgery and on both after doing the right.

I'm enjoying the feeling of not having pain and getting that smooth motion back that I hadn't felt in such a long time. Glad you're getting your sleep back, sleeping well fixes a lot of things.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dayton96

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »
HipnHop,

Your comment about being tired all the time caught my eye.  Does your doctor have you on an iron supplement?  I have to take an iron pill twice a day for 30 days.  I have not been experiencing the tiredness that you are describing.  I know everyone heals differently, but you seem to be pretty vibrant and apparently were in great shape before your surgery.  It seems to me you should not be so tired all the time.

Mac

Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »
Dayton, It has decreased significantly over the past few days. I think it had more to do with depression than surgery. Doc said I could swim and workout. Since I started back it def has me feeling better. Plus seeing a therapist helps.  Gotta get my mojo back!

Dayton96

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »
After the initial shock of finding our bodies have apparently betrayed us, I think those of us who enjoyed active lives have a distinct advantage when it comes to healing and recovery.  We know how to set physical goals.  We know there will be physical setbacks in training, but they can be overcome with patience and maybe tweaking our training regimen.  We know the pure joy of reaching physical goals and them immediately setting new ones.

So, what are your current goals Hipnhop?

Mac   

phillwad

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
Yesterday I did some stuff in the morning, went to our daughters track meet and got home at 7:30pm - ready to take a nap and get up to do something - the nap did not end until 11:30 and climbed in to bed - did not get in all the exercised planed/hoped for - but today is another day and another goal.  Can I walk 5 miles?????

Cheers - Phill

Dayton96

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »
Phil,

Are you still walking on crutches?  If so, I find it amazing you are trying to walk five miles.

Mac

Hip-o-potimus

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 02:46:30 PM »
These post op postings are very motivational.  Someday we'll all nearly forget we were going through this. 

hipnhop

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
Here are my goals for this year. I am avoiding long distance running for 6 months but will do a lot of deep water running and light road work.  I plan on making this happen:

May 7 - Metric Century
May 29 - 2 Mile Lake Swim
June 12 - AquaVelo (1.4 swim and 56 Bike)
Aug 13 - 100 Mile Century
Sept 24 - Aqua Velo 2.4 mile swim 112 bike

Oct ?
Left Hip BHR

2012 - IRONMAN!!!!

Dayton96

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »
This is great.  I hope you will post on your training and post the results each time you complete a race.  I know I'd like to hear the good and the bad. 

Mac

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements