+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: AVN and resurfacing?  (Read 1512 times)

shubhasgirl

AVN and resurfacing?
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
I am about to schedule resurfacing ... YIPES! I have AVN in both hips but currently only my left hip is symptomatic. The surgeon I've chosen has done about 1,000 resurfacings so I'm comfortable that I'm in very good hands.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone with AVN who had surgery. I'm wondering if anyone was scheduled to have resurfacing but when the surgeon got in there, felt it was necessary to do a total hip replacement instead?

I'd love to hear from ANYONE with AVN and their related surgeries - good or bad! Thanks  :)

hipnhop

Re: AVN and resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
I just had resurfacing 4 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with AVN. Although it was a concern I had enough good stock on my femoral head to warrant HR.  It depends on how much of your femoral head is affected by the AVN. If it is less than a certain % you are good to go. MAKe sure you use a good HR surgeon like Dr. Mont in Bmore. He does tons of AVN cases.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

shubhasgirl

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
My AVN is likely a result of oral prednisone steroids taken to treat Sarcoidosis (diagnosed in 2008.) X-rays taken 6 months ago compared to a few days ago show progression of the AVN/bone collapse. He says he won't know until surgery how much good bone there is. He also said that, because sarcoidosis is an auto-immune disease, another flare-up could result in taking more steroids possibly leading to more damage, undermining the HR.

I think I should have asked how many similar cases he has dealt with and what the outcomes were. He did say that out of about 1,000 HR surgeries he's only had to do one conversion. But I didn't ask how many times he's set out to do a resurfacing but ended up doing a replacement. I have a lot of confidence in him and don't know if I'm overthinking it. At some point I have to put it in the hands of the person with knowledge and experience, but it's hard to know when you've done and asked all you can!

phillwad

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
You are on the right track, read and learn then discuss and question your Doc.  You can always have another discussion with him prior and you learn more.  I was OK so I do not specifics with AVN

Good luck and cheers - Phill

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal