+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slow recovery brrrrr  (Read 2381 times)

pasinvabch

Slow recovery brrrrr
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »
So I'm at the 2 weeks mark feeling good, walking as much as I can, doing the standard exercises....My pt thinks I should ditch the walker(25% allowed only), but after seeing the doc he wants me to stay with the 25% weight bearing for 4 more weeks >:( then he will xray the hip and we will take it from there. No outpatient pt untill then.... He said I'm doing great but that is what he wants....so I  have to do it, I'm scared to mess up the hip. Im starting upperbody light work on my own...I'm sooo disappointed being a "gym rat".
On the othe side my mom came from Spain and keeps me company since my husband is about to go back to work. I have not had so many siestas and free time in my life before. Like we say in Spain "paciencia" (patience?)
Piedad

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Re: Slow recovery brrrrr
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »
Piedad,

Hang in there. You'll be alright. Remember, this is only temporary and the rewards are wonderful!

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
Hello Piedad,

I understand your frustration.  I was put on a 4 week restriction after my second surgery of "toe touch only", which means no weight bearing at all.  I was using crutches, though, and not a walker.  What made it even more frustrating was that after my first hip four weeks earlier I had no weight restriction, only what I felt comfortable with, and I was walking without crutches after a week.  This time I felt like I didn't need the crutches after a week but still kept using them.

Would your doctor allow you to use crutches?  They might me less frustrating than a walker, though I can't imagine anything being more frustrating than crutches.  I got permission for full wieght bearing a week ago today and, I'll tell you, I don't think I ever felt so free to be walking around on my own after so long.

Don't despair, this will all be behind you soon and you will be so glad you did it!!

Mike
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

phillwad

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:43:07 AM »
Piedad

Welcome - My doctor has me on a pair of crutches for 6 weeks, until early May.  I can get around good but in the house it is slow.  My outside walks are good and manage to go for about 60 min most days - always good to get outside and chat with friends.  I see the posts from people who are off crutches, canes, walkers after a very short time - my doctor, is like yours, and wants me on them for a full 6 weeks.  When I looked on this site it appears that the surgical approach in to the hip joint might have something to do with how long you are asked not to be full weight bearing

I have 2 pairs of crutches, one for inside with our new wood floors, the other for outside for the paths and gravel.  Wife is happy I am not bringing rocks in on my crutches  :D

Cheers - Phill

pasinvabch

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I just read that some people are walking with a cane after a week and it is hard not to wish to be them.
By the way Phill I have 2 walkers, for in (narrow) and for outside with breaks, 4 big wheels, a cup holder and a little seat that opens up and I can put stuff in it. It helps on the long walks if  I get tired I put the breaks on and sit for a bit :). I walked about 2 miles total yesterday(morning and afternoon) and the only thing that hurts it's the heel of my hands from the walker. I wonder about the crutches too...if I keep the same weight bearing....
Piedad

bothdone

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »
Hi

You are completely correct with "patience".    There's an old expression that's worth remembering - "it is a marathon, not a sprint."

For both of my BHRs I used a walking stick/cane for about four weeks.    Every so often I still take a walking stick with me when I go on long walks, particularly over rough ground.   

Very best wishes with your recovery.... and enjoy your siestas.

Ed 
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

phillwad

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
Piedad

What a great name - where are you from?  2 miles yeaterday - Great

I am just about to set out on a walk this morning while I have some good weather - rain later and on Saturday.  Using 2 crutches I do find that my wrist hurts on my long walks, I try to have my index finger pointing down the crutch - that helps keep my wrist straight and a better "load bearing path" (engineers can be so.........engineer'ie).  I know that I am trying to limit my weight to 75% on my surgical side - so that weight has to be carried somewhere, I am a big guy (190lb or 13 1/2 stone or 83 kg - I know this is read around the world  ;D)  so if I am carry 25% on the crutches I am not surprised my wrist hurts a little

Cup holders - good idea I might try to find some add on car cup holders that will hang and swing to keep my tea from spilling

Keep walking - Phill

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat