+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Run  (Read 5173 times)

Lopsided

First Run
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
Eight months out, and I went for my first run.

Have not run since I was diagnosed with OA a few years ago.

Did my morning PT and stretching and set off, one lap of the housing estate, just over two kilometers. Most definitely, my motion was not as fluid as it used to be, and an awful lot slower. But it was not uncomfortable. To start with, I could feel a mild arthritic twinge in my right (not operated yet) hip, but as I went on, it went away. My left hip felt well, but towards the end, I could feel my left thigh muscles. Walking up the stairs afterwards, I could feel some discomfort in the knee on my operated leg.

My conditioning is nowhere near what it used to be. I am glad I can run.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: First Run
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »
loppy-

That is GREAT!!!!  That is one thing that I can't wait to do - the first run.  I haven't had a real run for about 10 years after running for 25 years.   You are an inspiration.

Just remember to take it easy coming back.  We don't want any setbacks.

Daniel
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

maxi

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:37:14 AM »
bloody awesome loppy ...    a great encouragement to hear ..

i am glad u can run toooooo ... !!!   ...   8)

9.5 weeks out here from RBHR ..   walking around 3 to 5 ks a day, some on beach some on golf course some in streets ...

running the beach will be a blast .. cant wait .. thanks for the encouragement. im like Daniel and havent run for yrs...

Paul
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »
lop,

Sounds really encouraging. I haven't been a runner for over 10 years. Can't wait to try it with my new "gear". It's funny, sounds like everything else will hurt other than the hip(s).
 :o
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
Daniel, Paul and Steve,

Yes, you probably will run again, and I am glad you are interested.

In terms of running, it was pretty minimal what I did. I have noticed that I have been a bit stiff since, mainly in my other hip. I am not worried about that, as I know that will need to be resurfaced in time. I was told the bone would not have fully grown in until one year out, so I will not push the running in the mean time. Even so, I do not expect to get back to the same level as before.

I look forward to reading when you start running too.

Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
Dan,

Great to read that you are starting to push your limits.  Years ago I was in Florida driving back to my folks after finishing a run out in the country.  It was early morning and I came up behind some riders who had on all the high tech gear, riding high tech bikes, etc.  They were a mixed group and as I carefully passed them, I glanced over at the ladies (in an admiring way of course) and realized with a shock that all the riders looked like they were in their 70s and 80s. 

I've kept that picture in my mind ever since.  It is a reminder that there are folks out there who will not let others set their limits for them.  I really want to be running in my 70s and 80s.  If not running, then I will find some other physical exercise to do.  My inspiration now are people like you, who are leading the way. 

Happy trails,

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »
That's why we had this surgery - so we can return to our active lifestyles. I'm so glad you started running. Reading a lot of post makes one a little gunshy about running again.

You are inspiration and in six months I will join you for a 5k - slow....
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

phillwad

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
Mac - I just read "Grace to Race" about a 78 year old nun who completes a number of full on Ironman's each year - yes I did say 78 years old and yes she finishes most of them - great read.

Dan - I am also looking forward to doing some running when I get back up to speed.  For Cyclocross racing I need to be able to sprint a little way with the bike and last fall was funny to watch me hobble, limp up a couple of short hills pushing the bike.  It was part of the race that really made my hip hurt and part of the race that I lost time on.  So I am looking forward to finding a football/soccer field and doing a few laps to get back into a little running.  I am not as ambitious as hipnhop  :P

I am also loooking for a few trail 5K or 10K's to do - why? - because now I can  ;D

Cheers - Phill

joedb123

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
Congrats Lop! My goal is to play squash and racquetball again. My Dr. who claims he is conservative is reccomending to wait 9 months to 1 year before trying. Your 8 month period makes sense then.

Good luck going froward.

jjmclain

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 01:08:48 PM »
Phill-

I assume the book you read is about Sister Madonna Buder? If so, she is in amazing shape!!! Looks awesome at her age! I have seen her at some races.

June

Dayton96

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation Phil.  My local library doesn't carry the book, but Amazon has it.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »
I have to read that book!

It is a reminder that there are folks out there who will not let others set their limits for them.

Mac,
I have an experience to share about "older" people.
I completed what is called a Grand Canyon Rim to Rim hike in September 2006. South Rim to North Rim, 24 miles, one mile elevation change. Down to the Colorado River then back up out. It took three days carrying 45+ pounds of gear and water. Brutal temperatures. 110 degrees during the day and down to about 20 degrees our last night at the North Rim campground. Snakes, lizards, scorpions, oh my!! I was in pretty good physical shape, had no major problems except a mild case of dehydration during day two and one large blister on my foot.
I will never forget climbing the last 100 yards or so up to the North Rim. As we approached the end of the trail there were about 5 couples, men and women, standing there. They watched us finish and applauded us. They were all in at least their 70's. It turns out they were British, traveling to the desert Southwest U.S. and stopped at the Grand Canyon to go for a hike. They hiked from the North Rim to the bottom of the canyon, stayed overnight at a place called the Phantom Ranch then hiked back to the top of the North Rim the next day. This is a one mile elevation change in brutal heat. IN THEIR 70's!! When I reached the top they were asking me if I was O.K.  :o The one guy went back down the trail to check on a couple that was lagging behind. This is a steep, steep trail, over 8 miles. I will never forget it and will always admire them. Very friendly, fun to talk with. Tough Brits!

Steve
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:41:00 PM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

phillwad

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:47 AM »
Dayton96

You can always ask the library to get the book.  My library here in Cleveland is really good at doing that.  It was a "new" book - not sure when it came out but I got the impression it was recent.

Also read “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougal, which I found an amazing book.  Remember I do not run much so the idea of doing a 100 miles not on a bike is “foreign” to me.  Then when I was on one of my 2 crutches walks  8)  this week I started to listen to a podcast for biking when the host wanted to encourage riders to go bare foot – maybe if is something I should try – bare foot riding not 100 mile bare foot running

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303

Yesterday just started reading "Devoted" about Team Hoyt - the father and son that compete as a team for marathon and ironman, about 80 pages in.  Another inspirational read

Not sure why I have been reading a bunch of running books recently

jjmclain

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
Phill-

I have also seen Team Hoyt race! They are incredible!!!

June

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »
phill,

Yes, yes, "Born to Run", definitely. Amazing book. My neighbor lent it to me. One of the few books I ever read that I had to own. I have to try barefoot running. I can't stand the waiting!

Steve

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat