+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sick People in My Office -- 1 week pre-op.  (Read 7621 times)

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
Sick People in My Office -- 1 week pre-op.
« on: April 19, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »
I just need to vent.  I am one week pre-op and there are all of these sick people running around in my office.  I mean they are really just hacking and spewing all over the place.  One of them even opened my office door this morning and stuck his head inside and said "I won't come in because I'm really sick.  Hackhackhackhack," and then closed the door.

I am drenched in Purell anti-viral stuff and my hands are numb from all of the alcohol. 

The oddest part of these people's behavior is that they all brag about how much sick leave they have saved up.

I know it's probably just nerves.

Has anyone ever had their surgery rescheduled because they had a cold?

Thanks for listening.  All done venting.

kate

FlbrkMike

Re: Sick People in My Office -- 1 week pre-op.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
People seem to think that sick leave is just for when you feel like you just can't make it to work.  But really, you should use it when you're contagious to keep from infecting everybody else.  That's just being considerate.

A asked my anesthesiologist this question when I had my pre-op meeting before my second surgery, whether they would cancel if I came down with a cold.  This was really my biggest fear counting down the last week or two.  She said that it would really happen only if you had a bad enough respiratory infection to affect breathing when under general anesthsia. 

Your doctor might be different, though.  If you're really worried you might try taking some Zicam.  It seems to help prevent colds and lessen the severity if you do contract one.

Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »
Zicam, eh?  I'll pick some up on the way home tonight.  The problem is that the physicians' assistant here told me to stop all the meds a week before the surgery.  I wonder if that would include the Zicam, too?  I can at least get 2 days in (surgery is 4/27).

Glad someone else had this fear, too.  Thanks.

kate

Dayton96

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »
On the other hand, you don't want your surgery cancelled because you were taking Zicam.  I had my surgery four weeks ago and I was the same as you.  Seems like there were a lot of sick people in my office all of a sudden.  A couple of times I thought I was getting a scratchy throat.  I drank lots of OJ and got lots of sleep.  I also kept washing my hands.

Good luck with the surgery.  Happy future biking.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »
Clear any type of medicine with your surgeon even if it is natural, over the counter. You don't want to have to reschedule! :-*

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
You're obviously correct.  I should have included that "disclaimer" in my earlier post. 
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

lori.36

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »
Well I am sick right now!  Hacking up green chunks, feel pretty good overall.  I am 3 weeks out for my surgery.  I need to do pre-op testing and wondering if I should wait a week?  Been drinking lots of water and hot tea.  I hope I can kick it soon.

Anyone else have advice about pre-op testing and a cold?
Lori
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
My surgeries were January 10 and 12 this year. That was right after the holidays and being around lots of people and little kids. Yes, my biggest fear was I would catch a virus from someone, somewhere and have to postpone my surgery. All you can do is wash hands and try to keep them away from your nose, eyes and mouth. That's tough to do. I made it to my week of surgery with no cold or even mild cold symptoms. Funny thing was, my surgeon Dr. Gross had a cold that week and would not even shake anyone's hands! Ironic!   ::)

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
I was sick the week before surgery, I was really worried it would mess up my surgery....I went to Dr. Gross, so o was traveling and had hotel plans, airline tickets....it would have really been awful to get cancelled....

I felt ok but was coughing a lot. I called his office and the nurse said to get some antibiotics.  My local doctor got me a rx for antibiotics / zithromax, and it worked just on time.....or maybe I kicked it only own...I was barely coughing when. I flew out of town and was ok for surgery....

Rest, drink lots of fluid, rest, rest....use tour own sick time if you need to.  I ended up taking an extra week off because I had that cough, so I left work early to rest.... It all worked out in the end.....ihabe my fingers crossed for you!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:49:07 AM »
I was completely OCD pre-op in relation to germs and getting sick - I was ready and didn't want to reschedule for anything.  I even made my husband stay longer on a business trip so he didn't bring anything home.  I was a completely Crazy person, so don't be concerned about your venting :)

Edit: the husband actually had germs which was the reason for his exile.  Not many were left (a slight sore throat still) but it had to be completely gone.  I had that previously and probably gave it to him but that was beside the point - I could have gotten it back!!  I was given/allowed antibiotics (since it seemed to be bacterial) and it went by the time it needed to. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:08:44 PM by Lori Cee »
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
You guys make me laugh.  Only another pre-op peep would understand how OCD we get about every little thing.  I started the Zicam yesterday.  I actually went in the pharmacy's drive through window and made the pharmacist go get it and bring it to me so I wouldn't have to go into the store.  He was very nice about it, though.  I'm okay with meds through tonight on the week thing, so I'll e-mail the physician's assistant and make sure it's okay.

I've got a yellow sticky on my door today that says "please keep door closed.  thank you."  We are playing tag-team with documents flying back and forth between me and the one "safe" person.  Seems like everyone here is sick.

OJ is a good idea also.

Thanks for the insights ~~
kate

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
I'd wondered if my OCD and other various oddities present in my behavior came from focusing on the little and insignificant pre-op rather than dealing with the enormity of what I was doing (doing both at once and all) and it going to be such a life changing event.  I kept a record of a lot of it in my blog and when I look back I figure that something seriously was going on with my mental health!!  Think it's starting to come good now - or maybe I'm just used to being crazy now and I don't notice so much  :D
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
5 days and counting.  I have drunk so much chicken soup that I may begin clucking.  Three quarts of orange juice and counting.  I am sequestering myself behind barricades in my office.  I may rent a Hazmat suit for next Monday and Tuesday, or find one of those cute little white things that they wear over their mouths in Taiwan.

I Lysol-sprayed my office this morning to get rid of the germs on the files, and the secretary outside my office started sneezing and gagging.  Guess I spread it on a little too thick?

I venture out for coffee stealthily.  Crack open the door and peer down the hallway.  Limp out on my cane.  If I see a sick person walk down the hallway, I sprint back to the office, shut the door.  WHEW!  A close call.

Using the rest room is a toss up.  Do we go for the common rest room or limp farther down the hall to the handicapped one?  Only one person can infect the handicapped restroom, but perhaps they were there longer, with more germs per cubic centimeter?  Oh, the choices to be made. 

Files are no longer files.  Oh no.  They are pieces of cardboard crawling with slimy green germs.  Use a paper towel to process the files. 

Can't wait till Wednesday, friends.

Kate

Files

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
You are cracking me up!   ;D

I wonder how cautious (read paranoid) I will be before my surgery.  In the meantime I am going to work my butt off to be the healthiest I can be.  I figure that if I am in really good shape I will also probably not be as susceptible to the germs.

Good luck with the self-imposed exile.  I hope your surgery goes smoothly.
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

FlbrkMike

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Too funny Kate!!

After what you're going through now your recovery will be a piece of cake (hopefully sterile cake).
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

thelandlady

pre op nerves
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
Hiya everyone, I have my pre op tomorrow and hopefully get a date for my surgery. I just hope my blood pressure is ok as i have white coat syndrome lol,I had a hip resurfacement 5 years ago but its never been pain free and my blood test s i ve had lately show very high amounts of cobalt and chromium.i am having the M O M hip taken out and having a cemented ceramic THR. all being well i will be painfree soon.

bothdone

Re: pre op nerves
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »
Hiya everyone, I have my pre op tomorrow and hopefully get a date for my surgery. I just hope my blood pressure is ok as i have white coat syndrome lol,I had a hip resurfacement 5 years ago but its never been pain free and my blood test s i ve had lately show very high amounts of cobalt and chromium.i am having the M O M hip taken out and having a cemented ceramic THR. all being well i will be painfree soon.

Hi

I hope everything goes well for you.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

phillwad

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 07:26:53 AM »
Kate

I think today is the day, hope it goes well and enjoy the stay in the hospital. 

Cheers Phill

Dayton96

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
Good luck Kate.  Please let us know how you surgery and recovery goes.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »
Good luck, Kate and see you on the other (happier) side.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal