+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: H R Design  (Read 6509 times)

Dannywayoflife

H R Design
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:08:56 PM »
Hi all was just wondering, after watching the video of Mr bloomfield over on vickys site i was wondering are all HR devices designed to create a fluid film luberication?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Lopsided

Re: H R Design
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »
Yes, with all MOM devices, the clearance between the surfaces of the two components is between one hundred and two hundred microns (1000 microns in one millemetre) depending on the brand, and the gap between is filled with your synovial fluid.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »
I thought That wouldbe the case. I really liked the mr bloomfield interview he was very informative!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

toby

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
Danny,
 For my surgery, I was torn between my surgeon (Prof Cobb) and Mark Bloomfield who is a great advocate and very experienced HR surgeon-over a thousand BHRs. I understand Mr Bloomfield has recently returned to the UK from NZ taking up the role of Clinical Director of the Sussex Hip Unit who treat NHS patients. I'm aware that you would need to have your procedure carried out on the NHS-why not contact Mr Bloomfield to see if it's possible with him (before NZ he was only working privately). Also, I can't remember where you live, but if you decide on a cemented you are entitled to ask your GP to have a referral to an HR  surgeon who operates on the NHS-so you could ask for Prof Cobb at Imperial College London or Gary's surgeon Jeremy Latham at Southampton.
Best Wishes
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
has Mr bloomfield really come to sussex?!! last i heard he had gone to NZ. Cool ill have to check him out. To behonest ive spoken to 4 hip surgeons (3 of whom are family friends) and all 4 have all said hold out as long as possible as all implants only last so long. Also the longer i can put it off the more development can go on in the mean time.
Mind i dont think i can wait longer than 18 months to be honest. So as soon as the bad days out weigh the good ill have to get it done!!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

jugrimm

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
I had a hip resurfacing (Birmingham Hip) on 5/10/02 (left hip).  I was 50 years old.  Very fit, a keen skier, tall and slim.  I had done my research and decided that resurfacing was definitely for me, but the first consultant I went to wouldn't/couldn't do a resurfacing but put me on to Mr Kalesh Desai at Charing X hospital in London.  I checked with the hospital in Birmingham where the BH had been developed and they confirmed to me that Mr Desai had trained there.
The operation was deemed a success.  I had an epidural.  The op lasted about 4 1/2 hours.  I was out of hospital within 5 days, and never again used crutches.  I managed with a stick and made a rapid recovery.  By February 2003 I was skiing black runs in the Alps.  I was thrilled with my hip and continued to lead a very full physical life.

In June 2008, while living in France, I noticed that I had large lump in my left groin.  It was not painful, but I decided to go to the local doctor.  He immediately sent me to hospital fearing that it might be a hernia or worse, cancer.  I was x-rayed, cat scanned and had an ultra sound.  I was told that my lump was a hard mass which contained blood and tissue.  It was drained for 3 days while I was hospitalised and then I was discharged.  Within a week the lump had come back, and I was readmitted to hospital.  This time a drain was put in under local anaesthetic in a scanner.  I was there for 7 days while they continued to drain it.  The doctor wanted to operate and remove the hard shell that constantly filled, but I decided to return to London and ask Mr Desai's opinion.

Mr Desai sent me for an MRI in September 2008.  He reassured me that my hip was fine and that the lump had nothing to do with it.  He advised that I should do nothing and see if it went of its own accord.

On 28 Feb this year I went to see Mr Desai as my right hip has been giving me pain for sometime now and I was aware from all my previous xrays and scans that there was very little cartilege left and so it was time to start thinking of another resurfacing, this time on the right.  However, I pointed out to Mr Desai that I still had my strange lump.  He immediately sent me for an xray, cat scan, and this time a blood test to check my metal levels.  He informed me that since my visit in 2008 further research had been done and patients had presented with 'pseudo tumours' as a result of excessive metal levels.  He said that if this was the case I would have to think about replacing my left hip as well as the right.  I was very distraught at this information.

I received the results of my blood test which were chromium levels 25.3 (norm is 3) and cobalt level 15.8 (norm is 2).  So the advice is to replace the resurfacing with a large ceramic head, THR and do the same on the right.

I have done much research and discovered that the metal levels would appear to be due to the fact that the hip was not correctly placed at an angle of 40o causing it to rub.
This has occurred mostly in women under the age of 60, and according to some surgeons, especially in tall, slim, small boned women.

My dilemma is whether I should risk just leaving the BH in place as I have no symptoms from the tumour.  However, should I then risk having a resurfacing on the right side?  I cannot find out from my research whether or not the high metal levels would decrease should I decide to have the BH replaced.

I am hoping that there might be other patients visiting your site who might have experienced similar problems and might be able to advise me.  Or better still, a surgeon.

Thank you for letting me share my story.

einreb

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
I am hoping that there might be other patients visiting your site who might have experienced similar problems and might be able to advise me. 

You may find this thread relevant... http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2311.0
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
Going back to the referral thing, I was told I couldn't be referred as far as southampton because there was a surgeon in Bournemouth who would do it. I couldn't get his statistics anywhere and in the end got fed up of waiting.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:12:52 AM »
Toby are you sure mr Bloomfield has come back to the uk? I have checked the Sussex orthopaedic centre website and there's no mention of him on there.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

toby

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
Danny,
I also follow Vicky Marlowe's yahoo forum too, and Chris Saunders a frequent poster/experienced hippy who is touch with Mark informed the group of his recent return to the UK. I too checked the site a couple of weeks ago and reckon that because it's so recent, they haven't updated their site. Chris said his role is clinical director. It could be that his contract is with Care UK which manages the services of the Sussex Ortho centre. Phone either of these organisations and I'll bet they'll tell you how to contact him. Also, you could go his old website and I'm sure his secretary will provide his details.
By the way, are you also familiar with the UK Yahoo Hippy forum. which Mark B set up? I am no longer a member, but he often replies to patient questions on the site and corrresponds through his personal email (he did so with me). I've got problems with my computer at present -virus (can't access favourites to send you any direct links etc).
If you have trouble contacting him-let me know and I'll trace his details.
Best
Toby

toby

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »
 Danny,
Just did a search on google/found this on Linkedin (so he sure is back in UK).
Mark Bloomfield
Title
Medical Director, Sussex Orthopaedic Treatment Centre, Hayward's Heath at Care UK
Demographic info
United Kingdom | Medical Practice
Current: Medical Director, Sussex Orthopaedic Treatment Centre, Hayward's Heath at Care UK Past: Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at BMI Healthcare, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon. Clinical Director, Orthopaedic & Trauma Services at Ashford...Education: University of Zimbabwe Summary: Experienced Orthopaedic Surgeon now also in a managerial / clinical leadership role with Care UK at the Sussex Orthopaedic Treatment Centre, Hayw...
Regards
Toby
PS his old website is   www.thehipclinic.co.uk

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:57:09 AM »
Toby many thanks! That's great info I will try and contact him and see what he says. I think i may have to join his hippy group also I'll do a search for the uk yahoo hippy site!
It would be awesome if I could be seen by mr Bloomfield himself would solve alot of problems for me!!
Really appreciate your help mate Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 05:23:57 AM »
I joined the yahoo forum but the format is nowhere near as easy as this one, plus you'll get thousands of e mail notifications unless you disable them.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 05:54:37 AM »
Roger that Garry I may set up a separate email for it then. I only really want to get hold of mark Bloomfield anyway.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
Toby,
         thanks for that. ive found the link. My only concern is that Mr Bloomfield may not be working in a surgeon role if he is medical director?
Well i am going to try to make contact with him next week after this wedding malarky!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

toby

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »
Danny,
Yeah, the great thing about the wedding malarky is that it's driven me out on for mountain bike rides,  long walks and swims 2 days in a row (still waiting for a full calf heal before returning to running).
Please let us know once you've hooked up with Mark B.
Best
Toby
ps I agree with Gary re- the volume  ease of Pat's site -but I think that you can organise the UK Yahoo into daily digests

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
Not had chance to try and make contact with mr Bloomfield yet and not joined the other group as yet either been working nights :'( I am looking into going to see dr Bose as a alternative.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat