+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anti Inflammatories Two Years After?  (Read 43090 times)

Windie1

Anti Inflammatories Two Years After?
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »
Does anyone else have to take anti inflammatories two years after their resurfacing just to be able to get through day to day?  I don't get it, the pain now is worse than before my surgery.  The pain is in the groin and at my back side where the top of my thigh meets the buttock.  My ion counts are fine (Cobalt = 1.2, Chromium = 1.0) and nothing significant shows up on x-rays and MRI.  My doctor doesn't seem to know what's causing the pain.  He put me on Celebrex which reduces the pain but doesn't fix what's wrong...  Anyone with some suggestions?

Ernie

Re: Anti Inflammatories Two Years After?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
That is discouraging.  Was the pain there from the time of your surgery, or did it come on some time later?
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

Windie1

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
I've been telling my doctor ever since just after the surgery that something in the groin didn't feel right.  But, because I was on anti inflammatories until Jan of this year the pain was tolerable.  In Jan I had to go off the medication for a week - that is when I knew something is really wrong in my hip because the pain was awful!  I've always told him that I felt that the mechanics of the device are fine but that maybe the soft tissues surrounding the implant might be rubbing on the edge of the acetablular cup... 

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »
My doctor doesn't seem to know what's causing the pain ...  Anyone with some suggestions?

Get an  opinion from an experienced resurfacing surgeon, one that does seem to know.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:17:30 PM »
A good, experienced HR surgeon would know what is causing the pain. To me it is inexcusable that he/she is not helping you. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Windie1

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
So my doctor has me scheduled to aspirate the joint to check for inflammation.  Dr De Smet said this procedure is rarely performed these days because it almost always gives the wrong answer...  Anyone else had an aspiration lately?

Lopsided

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »
Dr De Smet said this procedure is rarely performed these days because it almost always gives the wrong answer...  Anyone else had an aspiration lately?

Windie1,

You have been in pain for two years, your doctor does not know why, and all he can suggest is a procedure that will probably give the wrong answer.

Run! - or at least hobble - away! Preferably in the direction of Dr. De Smet.

D.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
Windie1,

Listen to Dr. De Smet. Please!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Windie1

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »
I guess I asked too many questions because he has stopped replying.  Who here in the states can I ask for a free, long distance second opinion?  I was thinking maybe Dr. Gross but I don't know how to get in touch him.  My doctor came highly recommended to me by other doctors and is supposed to be the best in town so now I'm thinking I might have to travel elsewhere to get this straightened out...

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
... is supposed to be the best in town ...

Best in town is not good enough. You want best in world.

... so now I'm thinking I might have to travel elsewhere to get this straightened out...

Many of us have traveled around the world to get it done.

stano

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »
Windie1,
     I just put a packet together for Dr Gross,he said he would be in touch within 2 weeks. He did request a copy of my insurance card. I am sure there is a charge but I need help now. 20 months post BHR , have taken anti Inflammatories and viccodon , but the pain is still there.  Dr Gross has a very easy web site and I did talk to Lee his assistant on the phone just to make sure my packet is right.

stano

Dayton96

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »
Unless he has changed his policy within the last 8 months, Dr. Gross does not charge for a telephone consultation.  Dr. Bose, Dr. Clarke, and Dr. Pritchett also do not charge for the initial consultation.  Dr. Bose will email you, while Dr. Clarke and Dr. Pritchett will do a telephone consultation.   

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Windie1

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
Thanks Mac and Stano for the info!  I called Dr. Gross's office and the secretary confirmed that he doesn't charge for a phone consultation.  I'm curious though. I know Dr. Gross's office says no MRI images should be sent in the packet but, how do they diagnose a problem post hip resurfacing without them? 

Stano, is your pain also in the groin area?  Did your doctor aspirate your hip to check for infection? 

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »
Windie 1,

I am not a doc and I don't know everything Dr. Gross looks for on the x-rays. I do know he checks for correct placement of the resurfacing components especially the angle of the acetabular cup. He also checks the condition of the bone in the proximity of the components. If you decide to send him your info, be sure to have a list of your questions and concerns ready for when he calls you. He is very honest and easy to talk to. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Steve

jjmclain

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 04:30:55 AM »
Windie 1,

MRI's are for the muscles and tendons, etc. and the X-ray shows the joint, so I assume that is why he says no MRIs. Good Luck to you!!!!

June

stano

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »
Windie1,
I do have groin pain, but the really bad pain is on the side of the buttocks that has been operated on. My doctor ordered a three phase bone scan to see if something is loose, all good, he did mention the next step is a arthrogram ?  I am waiting on Dr Gross, in the packet I sent was a stand up X ray, lay down X ray and the X rays my first visit after surgery.

Stano

stano

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
Windie1,
          how are you doing ?  I talked with Dr Gross monday and he thought that I had a tear in the abductor tendon, tuesday I will get a shot and start therapy. Let me Know how you are doing.

stano

Windie1

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »
I went ahead and let my doctor aspirate the hip and guess what?  There was no fluid in the joint ergo, per my doctor, no infection.  Yet another test comes back negative.  He said he was going to consider my case further over the weekend and for me to go back on my anti inflammatories (don't think I'm going to do that yet - I'm not interested in just covering up the pain for another year).  I want to hear what he has to say this coming week but, I am going to start putting together a packet for Dr. Gross.  See what he has to say...  This is all sooo frustrating it just makes you want to scream!  ???

Stano,  So glad you got to talk to Dr. Gross.  How do you tear the abductor tendon, how does he see that from x-rays,  and what kind of therapy do you get for that?  Hope it all gets better!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:25:32 PM by Windie1 »

stano

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Windie1,
    When I talked to Dr Gross about the x-rays he said that everything looked good. He said the angle of the cup and all parts looked good also. We did not talk about how or why there might be a tear but on the steps to heal it. Tuesday I get a shot and the following Monday I start therapy. He said that I need to do abductor strenghting. I also sent him my
chromium and cobalt results 1.2-1.0. This was also good for a BHR .

Stano

Windie1

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
Stano, 

Now that you have a plan, will your ortho or Dr. Gross direct the treatment?  How does that work?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear