+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: lower part of shin feeling numb.  (Read 4733 times)

BillB

lower part of shin feeling numb.
« on: April 24, 2011, 02:36:23 PM »
Feels like a silly question but has anyone else experienced this. At 4 weeks after the surgery everything is progressing well as far as walking and stifness. My ankle and the front of my lower shin feel kind of numb - there is no swelling so I am puzzled. Could this be some kind of nerve issue?  I will see my doctor in 10 days and hope that it is better or at least get an answer to this.   Am I the Lone Ranger here or has anyone else felt this numbness that I described?   Before the resurfacing I did experience this also at night when my hip flared up so I figured that after the surgery it would not be there.  But it is.

maxi

Re: lower part of shin feeling numb.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
could be a nerve issue mate, sounds like it to me ....
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

23109VC

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »
I had all kinds of weird pains after surgery.  I had a pain in my butt, I felt a weird pain in my groin, my leg was sore and also numb down the front and back...and when I would sit down I'd sometimes get a weird shooting pain in my knee.

Almost all of that stuff have gone away completely or is GREATLY reduced.  I still get the butt pain once in a while, but it's very subtle.  I have a new pain in my outer hip which I think is mild bursitis....I had knee pain but it went away.  I had knee pain before surgery and after, but it dissipated.

I would say most of the pains were there off and on for 4-6 weeks.  It wasn't u til week 6 that it really got mich better.  I'm at 8 weeks and still have mild discomfort at times.

I wouldn't get bothered yet.  I kmow at 4 weeks I had some pain for sure...and it mostly all went away.  It's easy to sense a new pain or question why some pains don't go away faster.... The past 8 weeks have taught me to be patient and just know that our vodieswent through something drastic and it's not realistic to expect everything be pain free and perfect so fast.

Honestly, even with the mild pain I have now, I'm 100x better than before surgery...,

I hope you feel better now than before the surgery.  I hope both of us heal 100% but even if I only get to where I amnkw....which to me feels like 90%... I'll take it!

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

BillB

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
Sean;  Thanks for the info. I know I need patience but  sometimes it is not easy. I have good flexibility of the leg back now and to have some weird thing going on in the lower part of the leg is frustrating. A friend of mine had his daughter have something done to her pelvis to seat the femur better, a birth defect but anyway, he indicated that there are nerves that the surgeon has to move aside in the operation so I suppose that I could have a temporary nerve issue here also. I will quiz the doctor on this when I see him on May 6th.
Thanks again.

margot

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:10:42 AM »
Bill, did your numbness/pain ever subside?  I am 11 weeks post-op and have considerable ache in the buttock, back of knee, calf and heel.  I've been told by my therapist that it's the sciatica - being irritated by swelling (which I still have) and possibly the SA joint.  I am very anxious to have it resolve itself!

AlanN

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
I'm at 5 months now and up until now (and still on the odd occasion) have had all sorts of tweaks, pains, numbness etc etc etc!

The thing is, no single thing has ever lasted too long, no more than say a week or so, and have always disappeared on their own.

I still on occasion get some tingling and slight numbness in various places however nothing consistent.

My surgeon told me not to worry about these "twinges" as it is a sign that the healing process is continuing.
He explained that not have only major muscles been cut and re-joined, major nerves have also been moved aside and re-aligned.
Add to this the residual swelling and related scarring he said that these sort of "twinges" can occur for some time and may indeed never fully cease.

I have personally had many strange feelings however nothing that has particularly worried me and certainly nothing to anywhere near approach my pre-op agony, which was most certainly consistent!

I think the key is, as long as the feeling is not too dramatic, and doesn't last for longer than 3 weeks, it's fine.
Just my opinion of course ;)
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

eperk

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »
Feels like a silly question but has anyone else experienced this. At 4 weeks after the surgery everything is progressing well as far as walking and stifness. My ankle and the front of my lower shin feel kind of numb - there is no swelling so I am puzzled. Could this be some kind of nerve issue?  I will see my doctor in 10 days and hope that it is better or at least get an answer to this.   Am I the Lone Ranger here or has anyone else felt this numbness that I described?   Before the resurfacing I did experience this also at night when my hip flared up so I figured that after the surgery it would not be there.  But it is.

Sounds possibly like your sciatic nerve--this is more likely to be the case from the surgery if your incision was posterior, as opposed to anterior/lateral or straight anterior--it's capable of giving you numbness/weird sensations in that area.  Since you had pre-existing issues with this, you could also have muscle tightness contributing...or a back problem.  I've seen people with some sensory changes in the calf who had a lot of tightness in leg/butt muscles---you could have your P.T. to do a check for you of:  Glut muscles, particularly the piriformis, as well as the hamstrings and IT-band.   I would ask your M.D. or P.T. to do a check of your nerves--there are specific areas of numbness/weakness that can result depending on where the nerve impingement is coming from.  For the extent of the nerve involvement, sensory nerves are a larger diameter than motor nerves, so lighter damage often presents with only sensory (feeling/sensation) changes, while more severe damage/pressure also shows weakness in muscles that are ''serviced'' by that nerve.  Hope these thoughts are helpful...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat