+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Follow-Ups After Surgery Abroad  (Read 5726 times)

Windie1

Follow-Ups After Surgery Abroad
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
When you have surgery in Belgium or India, or out of sate for that matter, how do you do your follow-ups?  Who takes care of you if you have problems after you get home? 

Lopsided

Re: Follow-Ups After Surgery Abroad
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
After leaving the clinic in Belgium, the only follow up that is required is to send in an x-ray after one year.

Dr. De Smet, however, answers all messages. His replies are short, economical, but he answers every point. Having had about ten thousand past patients (3000++ resurfacings, 6000++ THR), he seems to remember me personally, and I am sure he does all his patients.

His physiotherapist, Evelyne, also answers all messages, and is helpful.

I will say that having been cared for so well at the clinic, I felt a bit lost for care a few days after leaving.

I have had follow up consultations with my local orthopaedist, who did not recommend resurfacing. And I got a six month x-ray, even though Dr. De Smet did not require it.

I recommend Dr. De Smet. Even though for follow ups, he is remote, his replies might take a few days and are short, he does not forget his patients.

When you get home, and when you are having the surgery, it is good to have a wife/husband/loved one to help you.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

Re: Follow-Ups After Surgery Abroad
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
Dr. Gross in SC asks that his patients return after six weeks and one year, but he does not require it.  He has a packet that you can take home with you that explains how to do the X-rays, physical evaluation, etc from long distance.  I chose to make the drive back for my first follow-up appointment (9 1/2 hour drive), and I plan on going back for my one year checkup.  I figured since I went to all the trouble to find the good doctor to do my surgery, I might as well let him finish the process. 

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat