+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Experienced another big difference since surgery!  (Read 2506 times)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Experienced another big difference since surgery!
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:18:33 PM »
I wasn't sure which category to post on, so I'll put it here. I did something that was very thrilling today and I know only us Hippies can appreciate what I am about to say. At least it was very thrilling for me. I am almost 4 months post op with both hips done.

Today was the day I did my first lawn mowing of the grass growing season. It is later than usual this year because of a lot of rain and cold here in the Northeast.

I MOWED MY GRASS!   ;D  I MOWED MY GRASS!   ;D

O.K. so what's the big deal? Let me explain.

I have a yard big enough that I need a riding type of lawn mower. I have an older machine that you have to lift your leg up over the center hump, then sit down with your legs spread apart on both sides of the front of the mower. Some of the newer ones are step through designs. This may sound crazy, but of all the things I used to do before my hip surgery, I dreaded and hated having to spread my legs apart to sit on that mower or sit on my 4 wheel ATV to plow snow. With my very limited ROM it hurt like hell and it was really bad standing up when I got off. Stiff, pain, it was terrible. Last Fall at the end of the mowing season I could no longer mow anymore. My son or my wife had to take over because I just could not do it anymore. I love mowing grass.

So there it sat in front of me. It may as well have been the rack or some other torture device sitting there waiting for me. Even though I already tried sitting on my 4 wheeler and there was no pain at all on it, this seemed different for some reason. I almost didn't want to try it remembering the agony from last year. I slowly stepped up onto it and slowly and carefully lifted my leg up over the center hump. NO PAIN! I slowly sat down and pushed both legs forward along the sides of the front. AMAZING!

No pain, no discomfort, NOTHING! I actually sat there for at least 5 minutes in disbelief. I mowed my yard, got off and stood there. Other than the usual first few steps of start up stiffness, it was like the old days.   :)

I hope I didn't disappoint or bore anyone with this story but I just had to tell someone who has gone through HR like myself. I didn't run a 5K or 10K, I didn't race my mountain bike, I didn't hike to the top of Mt. Whatever, I MOWED MY LAWN! As I write this, I am grinning BIG! and my eyes are watering!  ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
Re: Experienced another big difference since surgery!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:34:31 PM »
WOOT!  Another wonderful "look ma no hands" story!!  You made me chuckle, lying here in this hospital bed with magic fingers doing my legs.   :o

My *I did it* story of the day:  I peed unassisted!!  Yes, folks, the pee factor is now behind us. (so to speak)  If I dare to be so brave ... can number two be far behind?
 :o

We rock!
kate

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:03:12 AM »
Good for you guys  ;D

I love that 'I did it' feeling that turns up most days.  It is the little things that mean the most, whether it be things that we need to do to get back to the point where we are looking after ourselves independently or those things that we had the most difficulty with pre-surgery.  It's all great.  

Newdog - you are right - no one understands like a hippy.  I can imagine how you would have had to sit on the mower and I don't think that I would have been able to do that pre-surgery at all so it is such a big deal.

Kate - I am glad that you are starting to get some runs on the board.  Each day will bring you new things that you will be adding to the list until the point where they are the things that you couldn't do before surgery.  I am happy that you sound a bit better :)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:42:18 AM »
That's funny.  I have an old Ford tractor (8N) and the seat is low.  I think people were smaller in 1949.  I had to rasie the seat with a steel jobby I built just so I could sit in it.  This was before surgery.  I think I could probably start to lower the seat now.  I hear you, it seems these days that the small stuff is all I need to keep going.  Just a little positiveness here and there.  That's awesome, Good Job!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:24:36 AM »
Newdog - great story.    I'm still sitting here with a big grin thinking about your moment.    I still get times when I'm walking along a country lane or track and realise I'm pain free.     It is not all about high intensity physical activities - though they have their place.

Kate - another good story and another milestone passed.  Good luck with your number 2s  ;D  ( Did I really type and post that!   ???   ;D )

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

halfdone

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »
"I MOWED MY GRASS!     I MOWED MY GRASS!"

Made me smile ND.  It's those big milestones....like I PUT ON MY SOCK!!   And it goes to prove that you can teach a newdog old tricks!   ;D

Enjoy spring....I think it may have finally arrived.  :)  Rock on all.

HD

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:25:11 AM »
I so can't wait to yell "I PUT MY SOCKS ON!"  ;D
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
Cutting my toenails did it for me. That was the return to dignity.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »
I mowed my grass yesterday using a electric mower.  I'm at just five weeks post op and I'll know I'm on the way back when I can tie my shoe.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

maxi

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
 ;D ;D
ahhh     another story of triumph, im still laughing...... 

good job mate ...   ;)
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
Another fantastic "I DID IT STORY"  Great for the patients thinking about resurfacing and great for the patients recoverying!

Keep it up - I love those great big grins.    ;D

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hipnhop

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »
Say What!!!!! I would definitely honor your presence to do my lawn. Let me tell you why? I think one hippy helping out another hippy is what it is all about. Think of the inspiration you will give the millions of others who suffer in pain.  They will see you doing my lawn and seek out information on HR. You will be a hero.

When are you available? LOL!!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »
hip,

That's funny! I'd love to mow your lawn! In fact, I'd love to mow any hippy's lawn just to get to meet them and connect a face with names on this forum. That's a good idea though, I could mow lawns of pre-hippies (is that a word?) who can't do it anymore like me last year. Funny!  ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »
newdog-

Thanks for the offer but I don't have a lawn.  Gave that up along time ago.  I like it au naturel.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM