+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is your cup angle?  (Read 5627 times)

Dayton96

What is your cup angle?
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »
I'm curious what the cup angles are for the new surface hippies.  I had my hip resurfaced five weeks ago and my cup angle is 32 degrees. 

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Lopsided

Re: What is your cup angle?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
Mac, is that your own measurement or did the surgeon tell you that? If you measured it yourself, how?

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
The surgeon told me.

chris finn

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

John C

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
Mine was 39 degrees by Dr Gross 3 years ago. At that time he was shooting for 40 degrees.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dayton96

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »
Chris,

I was just curious.  During the past year there has been a lot of discussion about cup angles and implant wear.  I was surprised my cup angle was so low and I began to wonder if this was the new standard.

Mac

bdoughty

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »
Mine was 39 too - Dr. James Rector, Boulder, CO.

maxi

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
i have my 12 week xrays today and see surgeon on wednesday so will make a point to find out what mine is ...   

gee the 12 weeks have gone quick, i walked 3 miles this morning, then did 3/4 hr in the gym on the upper body, who would have thought ... ;)
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

chris finn

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
Chris,

I was just curious.  During the past year there has been a lot of discussion about cup angles and implant wear.  I was surprised my cup angle was so low and I began to wonder if this was the new standard.

Mac

Ah....I didnt know about the angle and implant wear discussions...but it makes sense after thinking about it. Cant imagine what my surgeon would say if I asked him though. When I asked if I could keep or at least have a copy of my X-rays, he gave me a very strange look.
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
40 degrees, I asked him last time - for both sides.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lopsided

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »
When I asked if I could keep or at least have a copy of my X-rays, he gave me a very strange look.

No Chris, everyone gets copies of their x-rays. If he has not given you copies, he has not done his job.

maxi

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »
i have my latest pics and by looking at other pics i must be aweful close to 40ish. i have no idea how to determine the angle from the pics so will wait till seeing my surgeon later in the week. i was surprised at the size of the metal in me.    :o

but who cares its working fine ....   :D
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

chris finn

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 05:21:10 AM »
When I asked if I could keep or at least have a copy of my X-rays, he gave me a very strange look.

No Chris, everyone gets copies of their x-rays. If he has not given you copies, he has not done his job.

Are you in the USA ???? things seem a little different under the NHS. Ive got the mri scans of my discs...and Im not supposed to have them apparently.

halfdone

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
My UK orthos have always given me my X-rays to keep.  I now have quite a collection dating back to 1998.  I'm sure part of it is that they think that I am less likely to lose them than they are.  It has become easier to carry them around since they went digital and put them on CD!

chris finn

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:06:02 AM »
Right!!! that does it...Im gonna march in there the next time I go and demand my x-rays ....although its not until next Jan 2012..so I will have probably forgotten  :-[ :-[ ;D ;D

phillwad

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
This is good to hear, my Dr gave me a copy of the x-ray - could not really undertsand why, but I am glad to hear that here in the US it seems to be standrd to provide a copy - is this like getting the old brake pads when you have a brake job? 

I really wanted my Dr to give me me my hip ball to see the flat spot that I had "enjoyed" making - but after watching the YouTube video of the procedure I understand that the bone does not come out in one piece

The X-Ray is cool to share with other people and show how it is different from a THR

Cheers - Phill

Lopsided

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »

Are you in the USA ???? things seem a little different under the NHS. Ive got the mri scans of my discs...and Im not supposed to have them apparently.

No Chris, I am in Thailand.

In England you have the Freedom Of Information Act, which means the NHS, your doctor, or whoever has got them, is obliged to give you your x-rays at your request. They might charge a handling fee.

D.

Dayton96

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 09:38:52 AM »
Interesting responses, or lack of responses, so far.  Of the three who responded with their cup angles, two have cup angles of 39 degrees (surgeons were Dr. Gross & Dr. Rector) and one had a 40 degree angle (Dr. Snyder).  Then there are those who don't know their cup angles.  I think I will post the same question on the Yahoo site and see what I get. 

AlanN

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
What would be REALLY handy here is if someone could post a diagram or explain HOW to measure the "cup angle".

I have my xrays so could easily do so, if I knew what to measure and from what reference plane?
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

halfdone

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:20:18 PM by halfdone »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat