+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whine Whine Whine  (Read 2774 times)

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
Whine Whine Whine
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »
Hello hippy people,

I am watching TV at home in bed.  I couldn't really ask for a better recuperation, I don't guess.  I have a wonderful husband who is giving me pain meds every 3 hours or so, making sure my hip is iced for the swelling, putting ice in the diet ginger ale, nuking a Weight Watchers meal when it's time, and generally being the Positive One, letting out the dogs, mowing the yard, you get the picture.

I am grateful.

So why do I feel so crappy?  The weather has been so godawful around here (they're predicting snow tonight) that I don't want to get dressed or go sit outside.  So I'm hanging out in my pjs and going from the bedside potty back to the bed, with a trip or two on the walker to the kitchen.  That's pretty much my daily PT, and it's pretty much all I want to do.

I am bored out of my skull, but all I want to do is sleep.

My daughter is coming home next week with her new baby and I don't even know if I'll be able to make it to the church for the baptism.  I asked her to wait a while, but I don't think she understands what a debilitating piece of work this surgery is.  I don't really want her to see me all down and out, but I don't want to push it, either.

Is there a moment when you realize that it's better?  Or a sign that says you're on the right track?  Or could you just float along and be forever lost?

OK,  done whining for now.  Thanks, hippy people, for listening.  I don't see this getting better any time soon, and I don't much like where it is right now.  It's just kind of frustrating, and there's nothing you can do about it.  The worst part is that there's nothing really wrong, but there's nothing exactly working well, either.

Thanks for listening,
Kate

maxi

Re: Whine Whine Whine
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
sorry kate but i could not help but smile at your post, reminded me of how i felt about the same time into post op as you ...

you will feel better, you will go outside soon, you will use the real loo again, you will walk again.  :) ;)

i remember getting myself out of bed one morning about 3 weeks out, i reached for the crutches and just burst into tears. was a very sudden emotion believe me, but 10 mins later all was good and havent looked back.

try and enjoy doing nothing and enjoy your good hubbies pamperings ....

i slept for 16 hrs daily average for the first 2.5 weeks (out of hospital) ... even now still having arvo nap for an hour or 2 at 12 weeks out ..... 

let it heal kate ....  theres no other way ... :)
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

John C

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:10:39 AM »
Yep, three weeks was a pretty tough time. No energy, wondering if I did the right thing, was it going to get better; but the good news is, that was about the time that it started to turn around. By five weeks I was feeling pretty good; swimming laps in the pool, on the exercise bike, starting to walk without crutches or even a cane, and starting to have some positive energy. By six weeks, I started work on a remodel, and was exercising regularly every day.
You are approaching the point where many of us started to feel a little better every day. Look for, and appreciate, the little things that start getting better and better.
The journey has just begun.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »
Thanks, Half.

pasinvabch

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
Kat, I think we all understand the way you feel since  I think all of us have felt like that at one point. Some days are good and some days I feel like "why me"?. At one point I had to surrender and decided to take naps when i was sleepy and take it easy, and not freak out because I'm not lifting or exercising the way I would like to. I will have time for that later.
I have one more week(6 total) and hopefully I get to ditch the walker and that is what I'm focusing right now.
I'm sorry  about the weather, that makes it really hard to want to get up. Reading and movies have helped me when the weather is bad.
The other day I was feeling good, walking outside and a song came out on my ipod I for no reason I started to cry. Some days are like that but as time passes there are better good days than bad.
I hope you feel better and it is ok to whine ....
Piedad

halfdone

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
How about some wine, wine, wine?

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
Well Kate, a couple of suggestions...

You could take up a new hobby

You could decorate your walker with offensive stickers.

You could make phone calls to every single media outlet that reports the weather and demand an explanation for the upcoming snow... in writing.

You could make unreasonable demands of your daughter about the baptism, saying you want to invite all of your hippy friends, especially the ones from the UK and Australia

You could tape requests on CDs with stickies and fling them like frisbies about your room (not where you could slip, obviously), then demand that your great husband fulfilll every one of them, and why hasn't he already?

This could be great therapy  ;D

Seriously, things improve quickly, but I am serious about one of the above....

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
Kate, I really felt better around week 4.  I was very depressed and unsure about my progress. I am six weeks out and feeling so good.  I can walk without a cane, workout - i just got back from swimming 2800 yds followed by one hour of deep water running. When my son gets home we are taking Luke for a walk then I'm writing a paper for work.

I never thought I would feel like this three weeks ago.  I;'m not saying I dont have some difficulties but it is nothing that will keep me from enjoying my days. I know next week will be better for me and for you too.

All i can say it find something you enjoy - for me it was watching Deadwood (recommended by another Hipster), ROME, and posting on Surface Hippy.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

einreb

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
Not that uncommon at all... I suspect that I was 'most bummed' at the 3 ish week point with ups and downs all along the way.   

I found some odd comfort hearing that others went through it too.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
Kate,

I felt very much like you do the first week, and it was rough because I really did not expect to!  I felt great when I got out of the hospital and for the first couple of days, when I was high on the Oxycontin, but as soon as I got off the narcotics I felt tired and listless and depressed.  Also, I had a lot of trouble going to sleep which did not help!  About 8 days after surgery, I started feeling a lot better, and I've been steadily improving ever since.  It probably helps that I live in South Carolina and the weather has been absolutely fantastic (except for the tornadoes last weekend) - sunny but not too hot and humid yet.  Hang in there - you will get better and the snow will go away!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

AlanN

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
Best thing I can say is...you'll be fine!

Rest when you feel like it, push yourself when you feel like it too!

You don't have to be confined to bed do you?
I was walking  indoors for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times per day (on crutches) from day 2?

Be inventive, get up 4-5 times a day and do your range of motion exercises.
GET YOUR OWN LUNCH ;)

Above all, don't lay in bed feeling sorry for yourself and the time will fly by and your progress will be much quicker than you will ever imagine.

Good luck!
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

halfdone

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »
Some "Venus and Mars" on this thread  ;D ;D

Tin Soldier

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »
I felt like that on day 3 and 4 and then again during week 4 and 5.  I think the key is to remember that recovery is not linear.  My Daddy told me that.  You 'll have your good days and you'll have your bad days.  At about 6 or 7 weeks, I didn't have many bad days after that.  Now after 2 months, every day is pretty much a good day.  Hang in there, you'll get a big change in over a short period and you all of sudden realize it's getting better. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

AlanN

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 07:03:18 AM »
I felt like that on day 3 and 4 and then again during week 4 and 5.  I think the key is to remember that recovery is not linear.  My Daddy told me that.  You 'll have your good days and you'll have your bad days.  At about 6 or 7 weeks, I didn't have many bad days after that.  Now after 2 months, every day is pretty much a good day.  Hang in there, you'll get a big change in over a short period and you all of sudden realize it's getting better. 

Excellent advice.
You will be amazed how quickly things turn around...but be aware there will still be the odd "bad day" along the way, just don't let the odd upset get you down because the more positive you are the quicker you'll improve ;)
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

Marymk

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 10:40:34 PM »
The weather in the northwest is horrible too. I love the outdoors but have been inside since returning home last Wed From my RHR. Hang in there.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear