+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weight Question  (Read 1808 times)

Hopeful11

Weight Question
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:30 PM »
A surgeon I saw said he wouldn't recommend resurfacing for me because my BMI is > 35 and the fact that I am a female with a smaller femur. My BMI is currently 37.6 and I am actively working on getting that lower. Has any other female been told their BMI or weight was too high to be considered for resurfacing?

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
Re: Weight Question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »
Hi, Hopeful.

Obviously, I wasn't told that my BMI was too high, because I had the procedure done.  However, I did make it a point to work out to the extent that I was able and to clean up my eating act in the 3 months preceding the surgery.  The workouts were sort of a disaster because the pain factor was way up there by then.  As to cleaning up my diet, I joined Weight Watchers and ended up losing 30 pounds, gaining a bit more muscle mass, and going into the surgery feeling a bit fitter and ready for rehab.  Will get back to both the gym and Weight Watchers as soon as I'm a bit steadier on my feet (am a week and a half out from the procedure).

;)

The very best of luck to you as you work through these issues.  Feel free to e-mail me at katekosar at hotmail dot com if you'd like to talk further.

kate 

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:54:36 AM »
Weight issues are generally different depending on your surgeon, many surgeons will look at your dexascan numbers first because if your bones (especially women) are not hard enough they won't take the chance or they will really restrict you during recovery.

Lose the weight it will help with your pain as you are putting less weight on your joints and you will feel better too, also your recovery will be easier.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Hopeful11

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
Hi Kate and Chuck!
Thanks for the responses. I have recently lost 32 pounds with Weight Watchers. It is a great program and I'm feeling much better.

I am pushing myself to work out with Jazzercise and I can do most of the workouts. Just can't do a lot of floor work with my right leg. I am using 8 lb hand weights and do my best with doing the squats and lunges. I wish I could do more but we can only do what we can.

I am going to get my BMI down further and will try again.

What are Dexascan numbers?

Jan

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »
The dexascan measures bone density.  "Normal" bone density is a T-score between +1.0 and -1.0.  The doctor will look at the T-score numbers to determine if you have problems with bone density.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat