+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 week update from Cleveland  (Read 2118 times)

phillwad

6 week update from Cleveland
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
6 week – update
Well my surgery was March 18th, 2011 and I recently had my 6 week follow-up with the physician’s assistant,   Walked in on my crutches and walked out not needing them – Great news.  :D

I looked at the x-ray and asked what “angle” my socket was at...... “perfect” came the reply.  The PA pointed out how they know etc and it looked good to me – we could not agree on the “angle” but it was “perfect”. 

I have a 54mm ball – close to the largest of 56mm – must be a guy thing!!

Some different exercises to do to strengthen the external hip muscles and I can get back on my regular bike.  Here is the only down side currently – only 15 miles or 1 hour at a time for the next year Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!  The Dr wants the bone to fully recover.  On my first day with out crutches I remember looking down the airport having to go to D10 – Wow that was a long way with a back pack and a roll on suitcase!!! 

Last night I rode my bike for an hour and did about 7 miles - not far but it felt good to be back on the bike ;D  ;D  ;D

I have now flown a number of times since the check up – the pat down is “intimate” as you can imagine when the wand goes “off” – think where the hip implant is..  Using the full body scanners works and I do not need a pat-down – used them 4 times.  I take aspirin 2 days before and 2 days after flying – lots of ankle curls etc while flying.

Cheers - Phill

hipnhop

Re: 6 week update from Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:38:22 PM »
Phil, it was great meeting you.  I enjoyed are similarities being both 7 weeks post op.  The walk was good too but Yogurt better.

Let me know when you are in town again. I'll take you up on that bike ride.

Ed
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:46 PM »
Hey Phill, that's great news :)  Glad to hear that things are going well for you.  It's amazing to me to hear the stories about the day the crutches go away.  I'm looking forward to it though I don't know I would have walked to a far terminal without a little more nervousness the first time though that's probably because I'm still wobbly!  

The next year will go quickly and you'll be back to the distances you want to ride before you know it.  Just revel in how good it feels to be back on the bike and all of those other things that were difficult or weren't able to be done pre-op.  I am very excited for you.

Glad to hear that you survived airport security too!  I'm not quite sure that I'm particularly looking forward to that as we don't have any of those new scanners in Australia yet (to my knowledge).  I was wondering though how long you would continue to use asprin before flights?  (I'm still on clexane (lovenox) injections until six weeks as my rehab doctor is cautious and thought maybe this was the time frame you were told for the asprin or whether it was longer)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
Yay for you, Phill!

Am so looking forward to being without crutches.  My pits kinda hurt from using them.  This too shall pass.

Glad all is going so well for you.

kate

phillwad

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:16:40 AM »
Lori

My Dr wants me to take the asprin before/after flights until my 1 year check up.

Cheers - Phill

Marymk

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
Hi Phil. Great news about the bicycle. I love to bike too and hope that I will get the go ahead at the 6-wk mark as well. I have a lot of hills wherre I bike if I take off from my house so we'll see. Congrats on losing the crutches. And, thanks for the flying info. I fly in three wks so I'll be prepared.

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »
Hey Phil.

Purchase some compression socks for plane rides and recovery. I also use them when I'm going to be sitting or standing for long periods...it facilitates recovery. Gpt em on right now prepping for a Time Trial up the mountain this weekend (10 miler).

best,

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat