+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: After 3 years, an ache  (Read 1757 times)

jkiernan

After 3 years, an ache
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
I had bilateral hip resurfacing 3 years ago and have had no complaints and a wonderful return to a norman life after a short rehab. I am 64 years old, in pretty good shape, and exercise (swim) 5 days a week. For about 3 months now I have had a slight burning sensation in my right leg from the hip down to my foot. The hip is sore as in after a muscle cramp. Any ideas out there?

John C

Re: After 3 years, an ache
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:54:09 AM »
With the appropriate warning about getting diagnostic advice from a bunch of fellow hip patients, I will throw in my two cents worth.
"Burning" pain often means nerve pain. The fact that it runs all the way down to your foot, also could indicate nerve pain. The description of soreness as in after a muscle cramp also sounds like possible nerve involvement.
So, I would not necessarily let the symptoms you describe lead you to believe that there is a problem with your resurfacing. Many years ago, I had symptoms like you describe, and spent months of having people tell me that it might be coming from my hip. Eventually, an MRI clearly showed that it was a ruptured disc in my back, and a discectomy solved the problem. I did end up with hip issues 25 years later, but thats another story.
I am definitely not a doctor, but from my own experiences, what you are describing sounds like nerve pain emanating from a spine issue. If you want to explore that, my own experience did show that X-rays are fairly worthless at confirming nerve issues, so MRI or CT scans are the only meaningful imaging tests.
Good luck.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

DakotaDocMartin

Re: After 3 years, an ache
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »
There is always the possibility of an infection or metal ion allergy.  The best bet is to call your surgeon and find out what they would like to do to check it out.
"Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas"
Left BHR - 02-09-2011 - Dr. David Palmer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM