+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two weeks today Knee pain  (Read 1847 times)

pmkoc123

Two weeks today Knee pain
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
Glad to be 2 weeks post op, feelin pretty good. I have been crutch walking 4times a day 30 min. Stints. Waiting to have 4 week post op appointment w Dr. Su. Here's the problem, I have some knee pain on operated side and it keeps me from checking some of my flexibility. I had the pain before resurface from poor gait I suppose. Wondering if during surgery if they really twist and turn and over manipulate let? Also a pull down my hamstring on operated leg (same situation pre and post op) but not as bad post op.  Anyone else have this?

Thanx

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Two weeks today Knee pain
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »
Well I haven't had my surgery yet.  But I think it may have to do with the new alignment and range of motion with the new hip.  With new pain it may have to do with the iliotibial band that runs from the back of hip under the knee.  Stretching will probably help get the muscles to work with the new alignment.

I have had knee pain along with the hip pain.  X-rays indicate there is no problem with the knee.  Stretching and Triggerpoint has helped with ROM and the pain.  I am hoping that is will benefit me once I have the new hip.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Anniee

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
I don't have pain in my knee, but I found a huge bruise on my calf just below the knee on the operated side.  It hasn't gone away completely yet, 3 1/2 weeks after the surgery.  I haven't asked anyone about it but I assume it was caused by manipulation of the leg during surgery - maybe it took a lot of force to dislocate the hip?

If I were you, i would ask the doctor about the knee pain if it doesn't go away soon!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Dayton96

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
I'm seven weeks post op and, while I can now tie my shoes (just barely), I still can't get my sock on without the thingamajig.  When I try, I get a sharp pain in my knee.  I'm working on my phase II stretching exercises, hoping it is only a matter of getting those damaged muscles and tendons stretched out and properly healed.  I'm also walking a 1+ mile in the morning and 1+ in the evening.  Sometimes my knee will be a little sore after a walk, and sometimes the areas above or to the side of the knee will get sore. 

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
Knee pain on the operated side is fairly common for two reasons. When you get severe arthritis and cannot rotate your leg, your knee points out a bit and does not go in the direction you want. And then when you get the operation, they have to dislocate your leg by yanking it out and twisting it around. Good thing you are under anesthetic at the time.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 01:25:14 AM »
I had a lot of knee pain before surgery, and had pain after surgery.  The pain after surgery was different than the before pain.  The before pain felt like arthritis.  When my hip was fixed that seemed to go away, but after surgery my knee felt sore and tender.  As if it were bruised.  Also, if I sat down sometimes. Got a very weird sharp pain down the front of my knee.

All that stuff gradually went away...I can't say how fast...but it wasn't right away.  Maybe by 6-8 weeks it seemed to ne going away.  I wouldn't worry aboutnit if you are that recently out of surgery.  I had a lot of Fu ky pains after surgery, oftenpanicked and thought something was wrong....and they'll gradually went away.

Be patient.  You will get better.
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:33:06 AM »
I think 2 weeks is pretty early and things will stablized and even out in a few more weeks.  I had knee pain before, lots of it, and then none afterward.  My doc said that they try to stabilize the knee when the rotate your foot inward to dislocate.  I bet there is still a lot of torsion in the knee when they do that movement.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

John C

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 02:23:21 AM »
There is no question that since we are under anesthetic, and the muscles are very relaxed, the knee if very vulnerable to damage when they manipulate the leg during surgery. When I had my hip arthroscoped a few years before my resurfacing, my knee was very sore for a few weeks afterwards, and had clearly sustained some damage. Happily, I had no knee problems after my resurfacing, but if you look at videos of the leg being twisted around during surgery, it is amazing that there are not more knee issues afterwards. I think that it might be a good suggestion for anyone with knee issues to mention it to the surgeon, in hopes that more care might be taken during surgery to protect the knee.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM