+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: HOW LONG DID YOU ICE?  (Read 7291 times)

Bradford

HOW LONG DID YOU ICE?
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
 My question is how long did you ice.  I am now 10 days post op and at home.  I iced for the first 7 days all the time, most of my swelling went down and the socks came off.  Day 8 I spent most of the day up and about my chair.  Day 9 got up and leg was stiff sat in chair and within 3 hours it was like I had club foot.  Went back to bed much better, now day 10 same thing has happened.  Am I to far out to keep icing?  Has set me behind wanted to be out and about today!!!  Many thanks

Bradford

hernanu

Re: HOW LONG DID YOU ICE?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
I still ice if I get sore. I kept icing for the first three months, had my second procedure, iced religiously for three more months, then went to as needed, which I was pretty liberal with - meaning a lot of the time.

I also had a nice homemade flat little ice pack that was great for long rides in the car, etc. I just slipped that under my leg and kept it there until it melted (usually about 10 minutes).

So you are still really early, I would keep icing as much as possible for a while. Your body is telling you something when not icing causes issues.

BTW - My ice pack (suggested by the visiting nurse, a wonderful person) - wet a hand towel, wring it out slightly, then slide it flat into a zip-lock bag. Very thin. Put into the freezer, freezes pretty quickly. Once you make it, you never have to wet it again, it's a closed system. I've had mine for almost a year and it still works well. Like I mentioned, it melts in about ten minutes, which is about as much time as you want to ice an area. Put it back in the freezer, it will freeze in about ten minutes... repeat.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Bradford

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
thank you for your reply!  I have one of the ice machines that Dr. Gross uses that a friend dropped off when I got home.  I guess what worries me is the fact of the fluid.  Still have that first thing getting up soreness but that is getting better.  I go back for my first office visit in 3 more days as my Dr. is local.  Just being over worried I guess, first thing that has not been 100 percent...

Bradford

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:28 PM »
As I said, you're still early. We all had swelling to some degree, my left hip operation caused me to have swelling for a while (still a bit after three weeks), the right had almost none. The nurse was fine with the swelling, having told me that it was caused by the operation, and it would go down on its own as long as I kept active and iced.

I still have getting up soreness after 6 months on my right hip, not much on my left (now at 9 months), so that will be there for a while, or it may clear up on you quickly - we all proceed at different paces, but proceed we do.

The medication that you're using may also cause some water retention, or issues. I was on 325mg of aspirin for blood clots (and the TEDS stockings), extra strength tylenol for pain and multi vitamins which I still use. Both times I believe the tylenol at the concentrations I was using it caused night sweats. I loved the fact that I didn't need the prescribed oxycodone, so I treated the night sweats as the price of doing business, until I lowered the amount when I no longer needed the pain relief as much (about the second week).

Let's face it - we have had major surgery, so even though things are going well, your body is still redoing itself from both the surgery and the relief of the condition you had. It's confused and recuperating.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:30:51 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat