+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: PT in the pool  (Read 2821 times)

joedb123

PT in the pool
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I just wanted to mention that I have been exercising in my pool. I don't ,know if there is any research on this but I can't imagine a better, safer way to rebuild the muscles without over stressing (word?) the prosthesis. My exercise includes simply walking in circles in the 5' deep area against the resistance of the water.

If you have access to a pool, try it!

Lopsided

Re: PT in the pool
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »
Hydrotherapy is part of Dr. De Smet's programme. I was in the pool from day two doing his physiotherapist, Evelyne's exercise. These exercise are listed on this site http://www.surfacehippy.info/waterexercisesevelyne.php

I believe this hydrotherapy made an enormous boost in recovery.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hipnhop

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
I've been looking for correlations between actual running and deep water running. I've heard of people who trained for marathons exclusively in a pool.

http://www.running.net/read_new/deep-water-training-results-good-marathon

It's my hope to eliminate the pounding of outdoor running by using DWR. I'll save the pounding for the races. If you find anything please share.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Big Bill

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »
Big Bill here.....I got ready for my surgery back in July 2008 by training in the pool  :o.  Years ago when I ran on land , I put in about 12-25 miles a week. I knew that my pre-surgery hip could not stand the pounding...so I rode my bike and found water aerobics and deep water training at my local YMCA. The pool was the best thing for me leading up to my resurfacing(1 year) and I was back in the pool as soon as my incision was scab free. It was a tremendous help to my rehab and getting back an active lifestyle.... I will celebrate year 3 soon ... ;D

Big Bill, C ormet A nterior S urface H ippy  aka: "C A S H"

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat