+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Preparing for my BHR  (Read 3511 times)

pjh1765

Preparing for my BHR
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:32:09 AM »
Hi.  I'm new to this forum, but have been enjoying the information people have posted.  I am scheduled for a BHR procedure on my left hip in about 4 weeks.  I am very excited, but also nervous.  I just turned 49 years old last week and I'm in pretty good physical shape and up until recently, I used to golf and jog regularly. Due to my inactivity the last several months, I feel I'm a bit out of shape.  Is there any advice that anyone would care to share that might help me prepare for the surgery?  I'm looking forward to getting back to doing the things I love to do.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Left BHR 6/22/11 Dr. Lannin - Stanford Univ. Hospital

nekko

Re: Preparing for my BHR
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
Hi PjH

I am now at 1 week post op and was in the same situation as you are. I did not perform special physical exercises prior surgery, just try to get positive minded and having answers to points that was unclear for me. For example pro/cons about type of anaesthesia, side effects, risks of failure. The key is a good communication with your surgeon. He should be able to answer to any questions, in an "understandable format". Sometimes, we may get stressed when we do not know. knowing helps to build some mental representation, even if we are not medically trained.
Hoping it can help you
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »
Anything you can do to be in the best possible condition will help you out post surgery.  I am a big advocate of 'prehab' and understand very well how hard that can be when the ROM diminishes and pain interferes with exercise.  In my pre-op ramp up, I added hydrotherapy and an extra session of pilates to my usual schedule.  The usual schedule was one session of pilates and one of physio each week.  Pilates helps a lot with core strength, posture and balance.  The focus with hydro and physio was to maintain the joint mobility as best as we could with what we had left joint movement wise and to keep the muscles in the best possible condition (lengthening and strengthening).  With everything I was doing we made sure that I didn't overdo it and inflame the joint so that everything would tighten up around it.

I also cleaned up my act as far as diet went as well :)  Lots of good quality fresh food.

I really do think that it made a difference to my recovery.  It certainly helped me understand what muscles I needed to be activating as I was doing the rehab exercises.  It also helped me get by, to do the things that I needed to do as my new hips couldn't bear my total weight or move the weight of my legs.  It gave me the best possible start I could have for the rehabilitation process. I really feel that I would have been in a bit of strife really if I hadn't 'trained' for this huge event in my life.  

Given that it's only been a short period of time since your activity has decreased you are starting from a much better position and all of the things you have been doing already will help you and anything more that you can add to it now will help that little bit more.  If you can add one thing in, I'd pick hydro.  In the water you can work the muscles better than you can on land and without the pain.

Education and support also help immensely.  This discussion forum has been great for me and will be a fantastic resource and support through this process for you!  Best wishes for your surgery and a speedy rehabilitation.
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
Welcome to the hippy world! Lori pretty much covered it. We all know the kind of pain we've dealt with, so anything that you can do will help.

I've found that core stuff (check out the pre-op exercises on this site) http://www.hipresurfacingsite.com/Pre-Op/20101022594/Pre-Op/Pre-Op-Excercises-/menu-id-70.html is really helpful, but more than anything, I think being mentally ready and positive is the way to go. Post-op PT will get you where you want to be eventually, and at first we all felt challenged, but excited that the pain was gone. Just focus on that, and anything you do will help.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:03 PM »
I agree with Lori and Hernan, but would like to also recommend some weight training.  I continued my normal schedule of weight training 3-4 times per week, and using an elliptical trainer for cardio (no impact on the hips!) 3-5 times per week up until a couple of days before the surgery, when I got too busy getting things at work and at home lined up for the surgery.  Even though I had not been able to do any heavy lower body work for a while due to the condition of my hips, I think going into the surgery in pretty good shape really helped my recovery (I am 65).   

That being said, I think almost anything you enjoy doing that will keep you as strong and active as possible physically will help.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

phillwad

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:31 AM »
PJH

Try to stay in shape as much as possible, it really helps "on the other side"  As others have said "core" work helps out a bunch and anything that makes you smile - keep it fun and stay active

Cheers - Phill

pjh1765

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
Wow!  Thank you all for the positive, encouraging words of advice!  What a nice bunch of people you are!  I have to apologize, but I'm a rookie to this website and did not immediately see your responses so I posted again today...then I figured it out!  Boy, do I feel like a dummy!  I will be in touch and thank you again!! 

Paul

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
PJ, I am almost three months post op. I swam almost everyday the six months before my surgery.  I couldn't run or use any of the gym machines because of hip pain. The day before my surgery I swam two miles. It made all the difference.

Trying to get back in shape is difficult. I let go of good eating habits during my down time and I'm too addicted to those 100 calorie packs Lorna Doones. I eat the whole box in a day.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »
Hi pj, I did some of the pre- op exercises that are in the above link and I also swam every day like hipnhop.  The swimming helped me loose 10 pounds and get in great card shape for the surgery. 
Best of luck your 4 weeks will be up before you know it.
Who is your surgeon?
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

pjh1765

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  My surgeon is Dr. John Lannin at Stanford.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:38 PM »
PJ - I didn't do much before hand.  I was more focused on the mental side, like Nekko Said.  I think I recovered pretty quick, but I think that's sort of in my nature and maybe partly because I'm 42.  I think the post-op PT was the most important piece of recovery for me.

Good luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

pjh1765

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
I'm wondering how long I will be off work, unable to drive, etc (assuming all goes well which it will!!).  I would appreciate it if anyone would share your experiences with me!  I guess I have the pre-op jitters.  6 days to go...

23109VC

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
I took about 6 weeks off of work.  I probably could have gone back a bit sooner..but my job is a desk job.  EVen when I was back.. I needed to get up and walk fairly often.  I found that sitting at my desk too long made my hip sore.

Don't have pre-op jitters!!!  I had them too...but now that I've been through it, there was very little reason for it.  The worst part of the surgery process was getting the IV.. seriously.  If you can imagine how really insignificant it is to get poked with an IV... and *that* was the most painful thing I experienced teh day of surgery. :)  By the tiem I was heading to surgery, they put some versed into my IV... I have a vague memory of being told to sit up for my spinal shot... but that's ALL I remember.. being asked to sit up.. I have ZERO recollection of getting the shot... next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery thinking "Am I done???" 

don't be stressed about surgery... look forward to it.  if your hip is as messed up as mine was... your life has been compromised by it...and believe me..once it is fixed it is so amazing.  I feel like I got my life back. 

feel free to ask all the questions you want, message me, or others here on teh forum.  Lots of us here who woudl love to help you out and reassure you that you have nothing to worry about.

-Sean
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »
Like Sean, I was off about six weeks for each hip. Driving .. about 2-3weeks, off crutches in about 3 weeks, on one crutch in about a week. I live alone, was pretty much self sufficient inside the house about one week.

So as far as I'm concerned you do become independent pretty quickly.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »
Hi pjh,

Everybody is different.  Some people take a lot of time off work and some people take very little time off.  It really just depends on how you feel.

I had my two surgeries exactly four weeks apart.  I was prepared to take 2 weeks or more for each surgery, but I had just gotten a big promotion about three weeks before my first surgery and wanted to get back as soon as possible.   Also, I only had about 5 weeks combined vacation and sick time saved up and didn't want to burn it all.

Both surgeries were on Friday morning, and I was home on Sunday afternoon.  Most of my work is behind a desk, though I inspect energy efficiency projects in the field occasionally as well.  I was checking emails, calling in a couple of times a day and working an hour or two from home by the Friday after my surgery each time.  I went to the office both times on Monday or Tuesday 10 or 11 days post surgery for short work days and was back full time by the middle of the week.  I was a little tired and not functioning at 100% all of the time, but really felt no major ill effects.

I'm lucky in that my wife works in the same office so she was able to drive until I was ready.  It was about 2 weeks after my left hip and a few days more after my right hip.

It would have been nice to take more time off but I couldn't really afford it and I probably would have gone crazy if I did anyway.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:59:49 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

jjmclain

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
I took 7 weeks off of work but I am a group fitness instructor and personal trainer. I think I started driving at 2-3 weeks but my surgery was on my left hip. If it had been my right, I wouldn't have been driving so soon! Everyone is different.

Anniee

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
I started driving after about 5 days.  My surgery was on my right hip, so I had to break with my left foot.  It was a little awkward, and I did not drive any long distances the first few weeks.  Mainly to the grocery store, etc. but it felt really good the first time I drove myself again!  I have a desk job and took 4 1/2 weeks off work.  I was hoping that they would put me on half-days the first few weeks, but they did not.  I think I made a mistake by walking into our medical department without any crutches or cane.  When I have my other hip done, I will make sure I walk in with the cane, and a lot of extra hobbling, to see if that works better!

As far as the pre-op jitters, I had them too, and my experience was very similar to Sean's (of course, we do have the same doctor).  The IV was the most painful, and even that was not as bad as I expected, because they gave me a small shot to numb that area before they inserted the IV.  I don't even remember being asked to sit up or turn for the spinal.  I was out as soon as I got up on the operating table, and next thing I knew, the surgery was over and I was wide awake and feeling great!  Probably a little high on some of those painkillers!

Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

lori.36

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 12:34:36 PM »
I started working 1/2 days at 4 weeks, but was working remotely everyday even the day out of surgery.  I was never on pain killers and was able to remote in to work to accomplish small task.  I have a desk job, I do computer/network support and I can work anywhere, even the bathroom.  :)
I was able to drive at 5 days, I drove for the first time at one week, I had my left hip done and I have an automatic.  hardest thing was getting in and out of the car.
In regards to pre-op jitters, only you can calm yourself down.  I was surprisingly calm, but I had a lot of distractions, work and kids.  I wanted to make everything perfect for everyone to live without my help for 4 weeks.  I would say try to stay busy with things that you love.  Distraction is an excellent weapon for jitters.  6 days will be here before you know it.

Best of luck
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

pjh1765

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for the pre-game pep talk!  After a weekend of yard work and trying to get all the things done that can only be done without crutches, I'm SORE and can't imagine feeling any worse so REALLY REALLY looking forward to getting what I call my 'hitch in my get-along' fixed!!  What a nice community of 'Surface Hippies' you all are!

Happy Father's Day!

PJH

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz