+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Right BHR and question about painkiller  (Read 6030 times)

Matulis

My Right BHR and question about painkiller
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
I underwent right hip resufacing yesterday (Friday, May 20) at about 11:30 a.m. at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. The surgery was performed by Dr. Ryan Nunley, who is with Washington University orthopedics.  Dr. Nunley said all went well, and I think he is right as I got home this afternoon and was able to go grocery shopping with my wife on the way home from the hospital.  I was awake enough during the acetabulum portion to remember the pounding -- I wonder if the pounding jarred me more awake?  I had a spinal and sedative for anesthesia. I guess they bring you out towards the end as I got to experience being sutured and stapled back together. No pain just some pressure and maybe a tiny bit of sharpness during the suturing.  I got in my room about 4 p.m. and by 5:30 I took my first walk with a walker. Did one more walk last night as they decided I was on the "fast track."  I then did several more walks on crutches today and received clearance from the physical therapist to be discharged.  I got some good sleep last night despite the constant interruptions and the abductor pillow -- had to get up at 4 a.m. yesterday for the 2-hour drive to St. Louis, so I was tired by bedtime. The room had wifi so I was able to email folks on my iPad to let them know I survived. I also was able to read a book, check the weather and read the Washington Post and New York Times. You have to love those iPads.  Dr. Nunley said the operation went "perfectly" and he feels he got the angles exactly right. OK so here is my question:

I have not had any painkiller now for 4 hours or a bit more -- they prescribed Norco.  I am also taking Celebrex twice a day for the next 3 days and an aspirin to prevent blood clots (also have the squeezy socks for that, which I like!)  I took the Norco script to the pharmacy, but I really don't feel like I need it that much, and I am not crazy about narcotic side effects. Any thoughts. I think I can do all PT without it. Is there a reason to fill it if I am not hurting much? Thanks for any advice.

Anniee

Re: My Right BHR and question about painkiller
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
You are tough!  I had a spinal with sedation and cannot imagine waking up before the surgery was complete!  I was discharged the day after my surgery also, and felt no pain. My doctor does a lot of different things to minimize the pain after the surgery. However, he also told me to keep taking the narcotics on schedule for the next couple of days to stay ahead of the pain.  I followed his advice even though I don't like narcotics (they make me feel weird), and started reducing the dosage after the first couple of days. I found that I was in more pain the third and fourth day after the surgery than immediately after. It is obvious to me that you are a whole lot tougher than I am, but even so, I recommend filling your prescription for narcotics so that you will have them if you need them.  If you do need them, you'll be glad you you did! 

Good luck with your recovery!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

lori.36

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
Norco made me sick and blackout at the hospital!  I only took it to help with sleep, because I felt achy.  After the NorCo incident I talked with doc and we decided to try OTC Tylenol for me and that is all I have used along with the Celebrx for pain.  I would say I'd you are not in pain, don't take pain medicine.  I am 10 days post op and I am riding an exercise bike, walking with one crutch and taking care of two kids.  I am amazed with this surgery.

Ps I would freak out if I had your experience for surgery.  Are you having nightmares from it?

Lori
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:28:09 PM »
Matulis,

Congrats on the new hip. It's over and you can look forward to better days!

Like Anniee said, fill the prescription. That way you have it if you need it. I took my narcs for about 7 days then went to X-Strength Tylenol and was fine.

I had a spinal with sedation too. I am a bit reluctant to tell my story because I don't want to scare any future Hippys waiting for their surgery. I had both hips done, the first on Monday and the second on Wednesday of the same week. During the second surgery which was my left hip, I woke up.  :o  I don't know what phase of the surgery it was. I suspect it was at the end when they were closing me and putting the bandage on because I felt a rubbery, tugging sensation on the lower half of my body, I don't know.  I lifted my head up, looked around and someone stationed above my head said something like "You're O.K., nothings wrong, you won't feel anything. Everything is O.K.". I believe I said something like "Yeah, but I don't want to hear anything". Then I fell back to sleep. There was no pain and I wasn't scared at all or freaked out. Actually I think it's pretty cool because how many people can say they woke up during their surgery? Maybe I'm weird or something thinking that way. I'm sure it would be different if it was heart surgery or something but then it shouldn't happen because the patient is quite a bit more sedated.

I wanted to ask on this forum if anyone else experienced this, but like I said, I didn't want to scare anyone. Since you experienced it and posted what happened to you I figured I might as well also.

Keep us posted on your progress and best wishes!  ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:34:43 AM »
Not sure that with all those happy drugs you could freak out though if you woke up? (I still don't like the thought of it - but hey these things do happen).

I know when I did wake up after the process had finished, I was still pretty happy.  I know I spoke to the surgeon about something (not sure what - think it may have been did I have both done and did I get the BMHR's?) and then promptly passed out again.  Next time I woke up my husband was there and I was still happy.  The happy lasted to the next day.  Maybe I just got the good stuff :)

The narcotics I was given on the other hand - I don't like (The ones I was given were oxycontin and endone).  I got hallucinations , vomiting and major freak outs.  Having said that, heaps of people use this stuff without any ill effects and it really is a good idea in the beginning to stay ahead of the pain so that you can rehabilitate effectively.  It's just about finding the right combination for you.  If you can take the pills, get the script filled just in case.

I had both sides done at once and have used ibruprofen (anti-inflammatory) and panadeine forte (panadol and codeine mix) and have weaned down to low doses of the former and panadol when required.  The pain really has never been really bad and I'm no hero!
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Mi Corazon

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
I thought the Celebrex was making a wierd numbing sensation out on my extremities, hands and feet, so I stopped taking it, and never did take any hydrocodone.  I was just tylenol.  But, at the hospital, staff kept insisting to "stay ahead of the pain", meaning, take the drugs anyway because once the pain starts pounding, it's likely too late to mitigate it with drugs.  I never felt any great pain except when moving around those first few days.  Walking on day 1 and home on Day 2?  What a horse.

Matulis

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »
In part to keep my wife happy, I am going to have her pick up the Norco script this morning, but I will try to wean myself off as soon as possible -- if I do take them.  I was more sore this morning when I first woke up but once I started doing chores it eased up a lot. We have 25 dogs, four cats, two guinea pigs and two goats, so there's plenty to do in the morning. I managed to do most of the dog feeding, all of the dish washing and some of the vacuuming this morning. I find I can get around well on one crutch on the nonsurgical side for support. Thank goodness for Linda helping me out though.

As for being freaked out about being awake for some of the surgery, it did not bother me at all. I am assuming that had something to do with the happy drugs they gave me, but I also watched the full length surgery video on this site so I knew exactly what the operation entailed and I was just thinking that, "Hey, they are pounding the cup in now!" I also assume they must have been backing me out when I could feel the suturing and staples because the doctor was talking to me then. I don't think I was responding. Overall, it truly was a pleasant enough experience and I found the recovery room part peaceful as I was wide awake but still in happyland. This was the first surgery I ever had so it was a relief to get it over.  All I really had to do in there was wait for the spinal to wear off so I could wiggle my toes.  I am 53 by the way and was a lifelong runner. I switched to road biking at the beginning of the year and I rode 10 miles the night before surgery at 17.5 mph pace. I am not in superb physical shape due to the hip problem, but I am in decent shape, and I think that probably helped with dealing with the surgery. Good luck to anyone on deck!

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
Welcome and happy to hear things went well. I also did only Tylenol extra strength after the surgery, I did fill out the script for Hydrocodone, but never used it.

I found that the tylenol helped me to handle the discomfort pretty well; I discontinued it after about three weeks, partially because there wasn't really a need, and because I think the dosage was causing me night sweats (or it could have been the surgery).

One thing though - I recovered pretty quickly, but remember that you've had major surgery and want to let your body heal. It sounds like you're pretty active right now, you may want to look at moderating your activity to let your body heal. Just a thought.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

nekko

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
I got home this afternoon and was able to go grocery shopping with my wife on the way home from the hospital. 

You're a Rock ! Congratulations ! There is no doubt that you will get a prompt recovery. Regarding meds after surgery, I also got Celebrex up to D+10 , blood thinner up to D+35 and Paracetamol (US= Tylenol) as painkiller.
Welcome on the other side of the surgery  ;)
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

Matulis

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice on taking it easy. I took a nice long nap late this morning. I have not had a vacation for 3 years, so this time off -- despite the surgery -- will be really nice. I am just taking things at a nice slow pace. I figure that will be good for my hip and my blood pressure.  :D

Mike Matulis

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Definitely. I find a lot of folks who have this procedure to be very active people, who haven't had much time off (either work, kids or something). I found the time off instructive, since for the first time, the focus was myself and improving my health.

I had to convince myself not to feel weird that I wasn't just doing something for my daughters or my family. My blood pressure went down about 10 - 20 points, and has stayed down. Don't know if it's the lack of pain, a new attitude, or just an overall improvement in my body.

Matulis

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:58:50 AM »
A quick, rambling update one week after the operation, then I promise to shut up.  I still have some healing pains from the surgery, of course, but I am able to walk pretty well without any devices -- though I continue to use one crutch for longer journeys as it seems the smart and cautious thing to do.  I have one day left with the squeezy socks, and I must admit I won't mind not wearing this pump around my neck any longer. I have taken more naps this week than in the past three years, but besides that I have not really been restricted much. I was pleased that I was able to mow (riding mower) as this year in central Illinois the grass seems to be growing about an inch an hour.  We live on an acre so mowing is a serious concern. I weeded one of the gardens this morning, with a hoe, standing. One of my early pre-surgery concerns was "Do I want to give up the veggie garden for a season to have this surgery?" The concern now seems silly and I fully anticipate I will be able to see the tomatoes I reared from seed in March through to the summer harvest. I was a bit surprised how much I swelled up on the surgery leg as I generally am not much of a sweller, but I think I was probably actually lucky as the swelling lasted maybe 3 or 4 days and now besides my ankle and foot it seems to be gone  -- and the foot is a bit better each day.  I am the cook in the house, and the surgery has not set me back from accomplishing that chore. We live in a two-story house with bedrooms upstairs. I take them slower, but I did not find the stairs to be any real problem. I have been diligent about doing the 5 exercise that were assigned to me -- twice a day. I think I am probably getting more rehab overall simply from my mobility and activity.  We have a tub/shower set up and the hospital folks made it sound like it would be exceedingly difficult to get in such a shower, but happily I have had no problem. I just wish the hospital had sent home more waterproof bandages. Staples -- 25 -- come out next Friday morning (June 3) and I have my first physical therapy session on Tuesday (May 31) -- I believe I will also be returning to my job that day -- an office job.  I have much rehab still to accomplish, but overall things have gone pretty well I think. My incision is a bit itchy -- I figure I can deal with that and it's probably a good sign things are healing up nicely. Best wishes to all.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
Matulis-

Keep on rambling.  This is very helpful to those of us who haven't had the surgery yet.  I know everyone recovers differently and it is helpful to hear the range of experiences.  And I agree that your daily activity is helping with your rehabilitation.

Anxiously waiting for my new hip.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Denver_wrench

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 03:34:33 AM »
Absolutely, keep on rambling. Even though I know people are different, I'll go to sleep tonight with a smile after reading your post, and be ready for my new hip this Thursday. Thanks!
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 01:11:44 AM »
You guys that have some memory of it aren't alone. I remember a high pitched hammering, "Tink Tink Tink" laying on my side and being cold, then sensing lots of activity around me, and thats the end of the memory until the recovery room. No pain, just a weird memory. I remember thinking oh sh$t I'm in the operating room, this aint good, I'm not supposed to be awake for this, oh no... hahaha Good times !!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:13:10 AM by B.I.L.L. »

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 10:31:25 AM »
B.I.L.L.,
It is a weird memory. I was told before I went in that I might remember hearing noises like pounding, power tools, people talking, music playing (I guess they play music during surgery). I just remember lifting my head slightly and trying to look around and somone at my head telling me to relax, nothings wrong, you won't feel anything. I recall that I knew where I was but I wasn't scared. I think I complained that I shouldn't have to hear anything. I think that's what I said. Who knows, maybe I dropped the "F" bomb on them, I don't know. It probably lasted 5 seconds, it wasn't very long. Weird.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »
I can remember transferring to the operating table, and then waking up in recovery.  It was the best sleep I've had in months.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
Okay now you guys are really freaking me out.  I refuse to watch the real surgeries on YouTube for a reason.  I really don't want to be waking up in the middle of my own surgery.

Let's just hope that they knock me out good.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 12:00:07 PM »
Well, Dan mine was a little different --

I remember nothing from my first surgery. I started to be wheeled out of the waiting area to the surgical room, and then I was in my bed in my room, with a nurse telling me everything had gone great. No lethargy, nothing but just waking up.

The second time I was conscious going into the surgical room, saw all of the apparatus, etc. and remember telling the doctor how cool it looked. Then I woke up in the surgical recovery area (don't remember that from the first time) where I was completely fussed over by some very nice nurses. Again, just waking up, no grogginess.

Pretty pleasant experiences...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:00:46 PM by hernanu »

Anniee

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
I remember being "transported" into the operating room, and moving from the gurney to the operating table.  I said something about how narrow it was and I might fall off. That's it until I woke up in recovery, wide awake with no grogginess.  I'm glad I was out for the whole thing!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat