+-

Author Topic: Dr. T. Marc Barnett at Asheville Ortopaedic  (Read 5695 times)

Bradford

Dr. T. Marc Barnett at Asheville Ortopaedic
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:45:18 PM »
As a new hippie I want to first thank everyone in this group and its founder for all the information I have read over the past few years.  I know there are many more lurkers like myself out there who will come out after joining the hippie group and share there stories.

First a little about my Dr. and his group.  I chose Dr. T. Marc Barnett of Asheville Orthopaedic to perform my resurface and I cannot be happier.  Dr. Barnett is a local boy from Johnson City tn and went to university of Virginia and then went on to Wake Forest baptist for both his general and orthopaedic surgery.

Now let me tell you how I chose him.  10 years or so ago my left hip started going.  By this time I had already had four operations on this hip for different things.  The orthopod who had kept me together for all these years had passed away and I felt very out in the cold.  So I started going around and got the common response of "Ride it out as long as you can stand it and than come in and well do your first hip replacement and than you'll get to change your life!"  At this time I was 30 years old and lived a very active lifestyle.  By the way I am 6 foot 7 and about 350, not your normal pt by any means.  My work is in the Fire and Rescue field and well if it was a sport or outside my name was in there.  I made it about five more years before it started taking medication just to get out of bed and it was taking a lot more each and every year to do just that.

About two years ago a friend of mine became a double hip Gross pt and I finally saw light at the end of the tunnel.  Well after sitting down with the county insurance rep it became very clear that Dr. Gross would not be in the future unless I paid for it.  So I started to save.  This last year my hip went down hill at a sonic rate and I knew it needed to be done now.  I went in for xrays at Asheville Orthopaedic and saw the son of my old orthopod Dr. David Jarrett and he said "Yep your 100 percent bone on bone, its time to do this and let me tell you about your options!"  Wow a Dr. that said options!  He spoke about the thr and also about the resurfacing and than said we can do them both here, let me tell you about the Dr. who does the resurfacing and that was how I met Dr. Barnett.

Well than the work started, go to the hospital that the work would be done at and ask friends or friends of friends what they thought about Dr. Barnett, not a bad word was spoken by any!  What about complications? no nerve, or neck problems.  Starting to look better.  By the way had two other names of Dr. that advertised resurfacing and comments ranged from no comment to wouldn't send my dog to them...around here we love our dogs!  So the next phase ask the appliance reps thru a Dr. friend.  Was told that the S&N rep smiled from ear to ear...after all the reps get around and hear things!  So that part looked good, the next to last phase was to get some family to ask a few a wake forest about him.  I am lucky that a few of my family are in the medical field and have taught at wake forest.   The common answer was great and enjoys what he does!  As far as I was concerned there was only one last thing..when can we do it!

So within two weeks I checked in to Memorial Mission surgery center at 5 am  was on the table at 7 and now own the largest s&n devices made!

I could go on and on about the good care from my Dr. and the hospital but wont bore you.  Walked the same day, home in three, little swelling on day 7..well maybe a lot but it was gone in three days, now I am on a cane and hope to go back to work in 7 more days.  Guess what I'm trying to say is there are a few out there who will be in the top very soon, LOVE what there doing, have the skills and give you hometown service and follow up!

Bradford

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
Re: Dr. T. Marc Barnett at Asheville Ortopaedic
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:11:45 AM »
Great to hear that all went well for you! So S&N means you have a brand new BHR? 

Hope to hear more of your recovery story as you get back to the things that you love to do!

Lori
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Bradford

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
Thanks Lori for your reply things are just doing great and I cant be happier about my choice.  I can add this before I say anything else.  Had a slight problem over the weekend not really with my hip but with sleeping.  Called the office on this monday a holiday and within 5 min get a call back from Dr. Barnett!  Not the person on call or the PA but MY Dr.  Makes me very happy to have made the choice that I did.  Anyway things are looking great moving around by cane 100 percent of the time now.  I go out and walk one half mile twice a day with no clunks or bad pain.  Think thats the first time I've walked that far in five years.  I could not be happier!   Still Have a little problem mostly in my own mind about some of the pt.  I think that comes from before but like I said its in my own mind.   Will add some more this afternoon going to try and get out and about with the family.

Bradford

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing great.  You are definitely in a demanding profession so I know you will be giving your hip a workout.

All these stories of people having endured years of pain and giving up sports makes me feel like a whimp.  I have really only given up running (which is tough for me since I ran for 25 years competitively).  And the only time l have too much pain is when I push too hard on a long walk or bike like I am Lance.

That being said I am going to have this fixed before I lose more strength and range of motion.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Bradford

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
Hi Dan
All I can say is the sooner the better!  With all the great people out there get it done now because I have read some stories of those that waited to long and have had to have a THR.  Do your research and don't let anything be it home, travel, or money put it off for you.   Some of my waiting was based on the fact that I am a primary care giver for one of my parents.  This last month has been like a e ticket ride when I have not gotten some of my buds to drive me!  Stock up on everything, food, meds, tp and don't be afraid to know you will make it.  I learned that I could use two walkers as grab bars in the bathroom!  But what I should have done was do this before my other muscles were terked out.

Well today my in home PT ended,  Its been 24 days from my surgery and I go see the Dr. about starting back to work again soon.  This last week I think I have lost my mind but looking back I can see the changes that were for the better everyday!

Bradford

DGossack

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:12:21 PM »
Bradford-

Yes, the message to get it sooner rather than later is loud and clear.  I still have pretty good muscle mass and range of motion.  So I need to get the surgery before I lose more.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Good luck with your recovery.  Kudos to you for being a caregiver to your parent.

Dan

Tommy

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
Bradford
               Glad to hear your doing good, there are Dr's that are good that don't have that "rockstar" staus. Good luck and keep up the hard work.

Dan
       get it done and get to running, June 2nd will be my 2 year anniversary just finish my second marathon post op as well as half a dozen half Marathons. I didn't wait to long so getting back to running wasn't bad.
                                                                                                                                 Tommy

Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 01:18:11 AM »
Great story, Bradford. I'm glad you found a good doctor and love the recovery. Keep it up, things improve rapidly from here on.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Bradford

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »
thanks so much for all of your kind words!  Just got back from my first bonfire after my hip feels good to be out under the sky with friends and to hear the dogs running!  Well I guess the next step will be my 30day visit post op on this thursday.  Going to find out my cup angle and maybe get to start back to work on a limited bases...yea...I think the best part is being drug free and moving for the first time in six years!  I hope that the Walking gets better..only up to two sets of one half mile each a day its pretty sad how fast your cardio goes down!  And thanks for picking up on the fact that the rock stars had to start someplace.  Guess mine being pretty routine made me place a high value on my Dr. customer service as well as his skill.  I look forward to keeping up with everyone..on those days that you need a little more push to keep going its nice to know your not all alone!

Bradford

Bradford

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
Boy its funny what you call mile stones after you get your hip or hips done.  Today I was able to use my own shower at home!!  No more going to the station and using the walker to role into our decon shower while the shift stands outside being mother hens!  Best two things to do before you have yours done..put in a grab bar and buy a pair or two of crocs!  Hope everyone is having a great day in there recovery!!

Bradford

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
It is hilarious, little things that give you joy because you can do them again with the arrogance of someone who hasn't had to give it up.

One of mine was picking up dropped coins at the cash register in the company cafeteria. I stopped using cash and switched to a debit card even for small amounts to avoid having my change dropped and then having to reach down on stilts to get it.

Paranoid? sure, but all it took was a couple of instances and I was gun shy.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:08 PM »
Hahahaha!!

I can relate to the dropped coins experience.  I would have to find something to hold onto before painfully picking anything up off the floor.

I got to the point before my surgery that I could no longer tie my shoes and have the knot come out in the center.  I'd have to put my foot up on my knee while sitting down and the knots would always come out on the right side of my left shoe and the left side of my right shoe.  It was one of the first things that my surgeon noticed at my initial evaluation and he told me it was an OA giveaway.  I can now proudly tie both shoes in the center, whether standing up and bending over, or sitting down and reaching around my knee.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Bradford

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 04:50:18 AM »
both of you jinked me today!  First time out..dr has not cleared me but I just needed to stick my head out the window and let my tongue flap in the breeze..anyway drove down to local store thats about 15 min from the house, its a country store, slipped in between a john deer and a f450 and slowly got out of the car.  Walked past 4 or 5 elderly men (75-85) sitting on the bench out front, one of whom was my neighbor.  Got a cold drink and thought man I'd like a newspaper..so got my 1.25 in quarters, we have two one .75 cents one .50 cents and walk outside.  The machines are right next to each other which are next to the bench.  I get the .75 in one an a quarter in the other and drop the last one on the ground.  So here I am looking at this quarter that looks a mile away hearing Dr. Barnett voice saying my one hard and fast rule is no more than 90...I cant pick it up with my cane(someone needs to make a cane grabber all in one) I know I cant take off my crocs and get it with my bare feet..I'm screwed..next thing I know the oldest of the men on the bench comes wobbling over on his cane, takes 10 min to bend down and get my quarter and places it in the paper box  for me and as I look over there is not a dry eye on any of them!  Talk about feeling dumb!  Oh well

Bradford

DGossack

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 05:48:57 AM »
Bradford-

That image just cracked me up.  Thanks for sharing.  Keep on healing and you can return the favor someday.

Dan

rbt2011

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »
That is a funny story.

Best on luck!
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Bradford

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 01:42:56 AM »
well made it past one more milestone..got the o.k. to ditch the cane, and best of all I get to sleep on my side!!!!  Get to gone back to work friday.  So I will be well rested, and walk a lot like a penguin but its a milestone.  Been reading a little on the yahoo board and I just want to close this with two things..First one being go and get it done now, don't wait!  I road mine for over five years, 100 percent bone on bone having to take pills to get out of bed.  Don't be like me..And lastly if you cannot afford the rock stars that so many hold on to be the gods there are Dr.s out there that are over the 100 mark, have great track records and are on there way to being the new rockstars..do your research, ask around, they do still take most insurance plans DON'T LET YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE SLIP! This is just my humble thoughts as I walked my first three miles pain free thru the woods today for the first time in over five years.

Bradford

DGossack

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 04:43:41 AM »
I believe you!!!

I am scheduled to have my left hip resurfaced on August 1st.  Everyone here says not to wait.  I am taking the advice.

Ain't no stoppin' me now!

Can't wait to be limp free, to sleep without waking up in pain, and possibly even run again.

Dan

Bradford

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 03:45:58 AM »
Well just a little update.  Just finished my first week back at work..what a long week!  Have been without my cane for a week or so now and walking at least one mile twice a day at the track.  Still have to pick up my leg a little to get it in the car.  I think the only bad thing that I have to say is that I walk like a penguin. If I was a ship they would put me in dry dock for repairs!  Only restrictions left are bending and no pounding activities so thats not to bad.  Go back in three months.  Today was a good workout..if I can only find a way to move the pins in the machines without bending..oh well.  I am so happy with this, so very very very happy with Dr. Barnett and Asheville Orthopaedics and the things they have done.  Only thing he has told me no for was a swift water rescue class in the natahala river the first of july..oh well!

Bradford

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Bradford,

Damn, I hate missing those swift water rescue classes!   ;D  Just kidding. Sounds like a cool thing to do. Glad to hear you're doing well.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
Bradford - you are doing great! Thanks for the update, when is the bending restriction lifted?

Don't worry about the penguin thing, I'm sure your coworkers are being very understanding and not making fun of it at all  ::) I had women I work with ragging me every time I went up the stairs, wanting to motivate me (at least I could cuss out the guys). Just make sure you work on getting the stride right as you walk.

Recent Posts

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 19, 2021, 05:42:06 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by catfriend
October 18, 2021, 06:08:25 PM

Re: Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by LarryBud
October 18, 2021, 10:43:42 AM

Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by gray horse
October 17, 2021, 04:16:50 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal