+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Happy Bi-lateral MiniHip w/ DAA per Dr. Snyder  (Read 3200 times)

dbhearts

Happy Bi-lateral MiniHip w/ DAA per Dr. Snyder
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
Last year I used this tremendously valuable site to guide my research to a solution to my twenty year hip degeneration.  I wish to quickly present my story for others to see should this be valuable in their search.  I was greatly served by this site myself and I wish to pass on my experience in return. 

I was first lead to resurfacing by my taiji teacher and was so excited that such a good solution was available.   My research on this site and elsewhere lead me to chose resurfacing using the direct anterior approach (DAA) to the surgery and to Dr. Snyder of Newton-Wellsley Orthopedics as this is his preferred approach. 

Prior to this I had thought that hip replacement was to be avoided for as long as possible. I had not thought that a solution of renewed hip joints without any restriction to range of motion of activity existed.  I now know better.  I also now know what most of you know, that hip resurfacing needs to be done sooner than later.

Although hip resurfacing was my choice, my first surgery (09-2010) found my femoral head was too necrotic to accept the Cormet cap and Dr. Snyder’s backup plan of the new Styker/Corin minihip was used (FDA approved early 2010).  Although little track record yet exists, my research into this design showed me it is based on proven ideas and promised me a solution comparable to resurfacing.  I still feel that resurfacing is a better choice regarding bone conserving -- the minihip is a total hip replacement with a small stem inserted into the femor, yet it is much more bone conserving than a traditional total hip.  Further, as I research these short stem minihip designs, I find they are designed to get their strength from the “medial curve of the calcar (femoral profile)” and they therefore have less risk of revision than other traditional designs and may prove longer lasting than resurfacing.  They are also bone growth at both ends, cup and stem, so no cement is involved, plus being a large-ball device there is no dislocation risk.  There are large ball THR designs of two types it seems in vogue today, either metal or poly.  The wear of this new cross-linked poly in my minihip is much improved based on testing and the metal ion issue is absent yet only time will tell which is better.  I look forward to a peek at the future statistics of wear and durability, and likely I will be one of those numbers!

My research on this minihip has mostly shown me how new this is.  Because of this I have included my expereinces for all to read on a personal website as others may be looking for a solution to their hip problems and this minihip may be it.  I have loved what it has done for me.  I particularly love the ease of the rehab.  I now have two as April 2011 and the recovery from the second was blazingly fast compared to the first.  In my case, I feel this is due the direct anterior approach that cuts no muscles and gives me confidence in my mind that stretch and exercise will do no harm.  My post-op precautions were “weight-bearing as tolerated” with no restriction to range or motion or activity  from day 1.  This surprised several of the PTs that have served me so it is clear that in some circles this is unusual.  I can now report that both of my rehabs were easy and fabulously successful.  I loved the skill that Dr. Snyder presented to me in both cases.  I loved the care at the Newton-Wellesley Hospital both times.

If you are interested in more details, including x-rays, recovery milestones, etc. please check out my site at www.dayacheson.info and click on the minihip page uptop.  This story has been a significant one for me and I love how it turned out so I put up the details for others to see along with some of my decisions along the way to get me through.  Perhaps it will be of help to others in similar situations.

I am forever grateful to those on this site that shared all of their experiences and support.  This is a fabulous resource and I wish it a long life.  Although my hip surgeries are now complete, I will be checking in still from time to time.  I am still watching my recovery and I am still rehabilitating my muscles to rid myself of twenty years of stuck-state protective habits and memory.  It is a complete joy to be out and about again and active with my sports and family.  For me and for all of you hippies out there, I say “Yahoo!”.  Time for me to sign off now and get in some exercising before the kids wake up :)

Cheers,
Day Acheson
bilateral Styker/Corin MiniHip Sept’10 Apr ‘11 Dr. Snyder

hernanu

Re: Happy Bi-lateral MiniHip w/ DAA per Dr. Snyder
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »
Glad to hear that everything has gone well! I had resurfacing about the same time as you on both hips (8/2010, 11/2010) from Dr. Snyder and also feel very good about the outcome. It's really interesting to hear about the bone conserving part of this, along with other devices like the Birmingham resection device.

Thanks for the post, I think we need as much information as possible. How's your range of motion and exercises? Did you do PT? (I know Dr. Snyder is a big advocate).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Happy Bi-lateral MiniHip w/ DAA per Dr. Snyder
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
Thanks for the post.  It is interesting to hear about other devices for people that are not resurfacing candidates.  I am even more interested in this anterior approach. 

Although I am already scheduled for Dr. Pritchett and the posterior approach, I plan on becoming a voice for alternatives to THR.  And the more information I have the better I can help people find resources.  It really frustrates me that surgeons are not providing information about alternatives to THR.

Check back from time to time and give us updates on your progress.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat