+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Returning to scuba diving  (Read 7831 times)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Returning to scuba diving
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
Has anyone had HR and returned to scuba diving?  I am a divemaster and help with classes every other month or so.  I am having my surgery August 1st and wondering how long before I can return to diving.  I haven't asked my surgeon yet but thought I would check with the hippy community (in the hippy commune?) to see if anyone has experiences.

My concerns are the weight of the equipment before entering the water.  I carry over 30 pounds beyond my tank and equipment here when helping students in these cold northern Pacific waters.  Also the pressures that would be on the hip.  And of course any problems with nitrogen build up in the tissues surrounding the hip.

Thanks

Dan (ORDiverDan)
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

halfdone

Re: Returning to scuba diving
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »
Hey Dan. My 2 cents in case it's helpful.  I'm an Advanced Open Water diver but dive rarely these days.  It was a couple of years after my first op before I went diving - no problems at all.  (I was more concerned about rusty dive skills than my hip!)  As far as the weight bearing is concerned, I think you should just follow your surgeon and PT protocols, and when you are comfortable in the gym with similar weight bearing, eg on leg press, and have good balance and ROM, I'm guessing you'll be good to ease back in. (6 months or so depending on recovery/rehab experience?) I wouldn't rush, and I would be concerned about impact risk in and around the boat as you get back into diving.  Maybe fair weather diving only to 12 months?
Good luck with your upcoming op and recovery.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
Hey Dan, sounds like a good goal. I talked with my outpatiend PT about my particular goals: going back to martial arts, doing significant weights and returning to soccer. She put together a plan to get to this, with exercises in due time. They included leg presses towards the end of PT, etc. I also worked out with a personal trainer for a month specifically on exercises for sideways motion (soccer, ma) and overall strengthening.

I'd talk with the pros during your recuperation, let them know what you want to get to, also with your surgeon. Mine cleared me for most activities by 6 months, soccer and martial arts after a year.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

toby

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
Dan,
I dived 6 months post op-fantastic, no problems with weights, mobilty etc
My surgeon said at 6 months (time I was going on holiday) it would be ok up to 20 metres.
Regards
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

ScubaDuck

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
Thanks Toby.  I will definitely be asking my surgeon what his limits are.  Did the doctor say why you were limited to 20 meters?  When was that restriction lifted?

Dan

JMS

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »
Hi Dan
I began diving again at seven months with my surgeon's ok and no depth restrictions.  The diving was great although I used more air than usual because my muscle strength wasn't as good as usual and I was tired when I got back to the boat.
  My real problems came on a later dive when I was visiting DR and found that the boat was not well equipped with a decent ladder.  Getting in was easy of course but getting out was a different matter. i passed up my BCD and weights to minimize effort but still had difficulty accessing the short ladder, and much more seriously swinging my leg over the rail sideways.  I didn't have the ROM to do it and ended up being hauled in! So be cautious about diving with unknown operators 

ScubaDuck

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
JMS-

Well I hope to be diving before 7 months.  But if the doctor doesn't clear me I will hold off.

I had ROM problems prior to my surgery.  I know what you mean about short ladders.  Fortunately my strength is good.  And I plan on a good stretching program to get my ROM back.

Dan

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »
JMS-

Well I hope to be diving before 7 months.  But if the doctor doesn't clear me I will hold off.

I had ROM problems prior to my surgery.  I know what you mean about short ladders.  Fortunately my strength is good.  And I plan on a good stretching program to get my ROM back.

Dan

Dan - a real good way to get started on a stretching program is to work with a physical therapist. Tell him / her what your goals are, what you need to be able to do (get on that ladder) and they'll give you some directed stretches / strengthening exercises. It worked well with me on getting ROM for martial arts.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »
That is a great suggestion Hernanu.  I tend to be one of those independent types that doesn't ask for help.  But working with a PT will insure I get back as much ROM and strength as possible.  I certainly want to take advantage of this new lease on life.

Dan

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM