+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Soooo... I've decided to have Lasik surgery, HR implications?  (Read 2226 times)

hernanu

Now that 6 months have gone by (Yeah!) on my last hip, I went in to talk to a well regarded Lasik (laser cornea surgery to give you clear sight without lenses) doctor.

I went in as an exploratory thing, but was so psyched over this that I am having it done tomorrow on both eyes. This will be the first time I will be able to see well without lenses since I was 18 or so. I was found to be a good candidate for this (also!), so my only concern at all, and I told the people there this, was if my surgeon, Dr. Snyder thought this was ok to do.

I checked with Dr. Snyder's office, and the answer I got was that he doesn't want any procedures before three months have passed, but at six, he had no problems with it. I had specifically asked whether I needed any kind of precautions like at the dentist (anti-biotics), but the answer was that no special steps need to be taken. Very cool.

I thought I'd post this, since as we go on with life, these kind of decisions will be facing us, so here is one good result where the HRs have no impact on a different kind of procedure.

Of course, by the time I'm done, I'll be revamped and look like my avatar.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

Re: Soooo... I've decided to have Lasik surgery, HR implications?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »
You may get a whole new perspective on how your scars look.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Anniee

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
Hernan,

Sounds like you're going to be a whole new man!  Good for you!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
Hernan-

Aren't you being a little shortsighted?  LOL. Sorry,  I couldn't resist.

It is amazing the medical advancements that allow us to life better lives.  What is the value of that not only to us but to society?  I sometimes wonder about my hip surgery.  I can certainly function but do not have the quality of life I once had.  And eventually I will have to have something done.

But do I have this procedure done now?  Am I using resources that could be used for a better purpose?  I know what I will pay out of my HSA but what about the insurance costs?  I am sure these are the kinds of conversations that go on in socialized medicine countries.

I am able to justify this because of the following points.  First, I have rarely used medical insurance because I live a very healthy lifestyle.  Second, I will be healthier as a result of the surgery because I will be able to train again thereby reducing future costs to the system.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
hernanu,

We have the technology, we can make you better, faster, stronger....it goes something like that. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes. Sounds exciting to me!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:12:02 PM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:23:08 PM »
Man,  I got to get a Vasectomy.  I hope they don't make me wait six months. Due to the location of the surgery, I think they might. Got to keep it moving....
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »
Finally got a clear look at my scars...   not so bad. I'm home and can see clearly with some goggles to protect my eyes until tomorrow, no problems, and no contacts!

Anyways, I don't want to clutter our hippy site, but it does put into perspective the procedure we have done. The benefits are also much greater, since we are talking about being able to walk, run and dance again vs. not having to use contacts.

I do have to say though: I would not have done the eye surgery without having the good feeling about my body from my hips being so amazing right now. Just feel I can allow things to get better and better.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat