+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: three weeks until my BHR  (Read 1563 times)

pjh1765

three weeks until my BHR
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »
I'm 3 weeks away from having my BHR at Stanford University Hospital.  Getting a bit anxious.  Any suggestions?  Words of encouragement?  Thanks!
Left BHR 6/22/11 Dr. Lannin - Stanford Univ. Hospital

hernanu

Re: three weeks until my BHR
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
Actually, I think congratulations are in order. It's hard to get to the point where you decide to have the surgery and take care of things.  We were all nervous beforehand, as it is major surgery, but you would only have taken this step if both you and your physician were sure it was needed.

All I can tell you is that it is well worth it. I don't think I've made any other medical choice that so decisively was good for me. It has been a complete about face where the pain is gone, my confidence in my body is returning and it has impacted all aspects of my health - just like the illness did.

I think you'll come to the same feeling, hope that your procedure goes great like both of mine did. Who is doing your surgery, what device is being used, etc?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

pjh1765

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »
Thank you for those encouraging words.  Dr. John Lannin at Stanford University Hospital is my Orthopedic Surgeon.  I will be having the Birminham Hip Resurfacing procedure.  I did a lot of research  before I decided to schedule a consultation.  Dr. Lannin and his team were all very informative, open, and honest about the pros and cons and gave me enough information to make my own decision.  I feel good about them.
Left BHR 6/22/11 Dr. Lannin - Stanford Univ. Hospital

Anniee

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
Best of luck!  I know you will be very glad you had it done, once its over.  I think almost everyone gets nervous before surgery; however, I will not be anywhere near as scared when I have my other hip done in October, because I know what to expect!  A few weeks of discomfort from the surgery, and things start getting really good!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
May everything go well.  You have done your research and picked the best device and a great surgeon.  Now it is in there hands.  Then it will be your turn during recovery to return your body to "normal."

I am T-minus 60 days myself.  Trying to keep myself as healthy, strong, and flexible as possible to recover well.

Go confidently forward with e knowledge that you have chosen well.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
pjh,

You will be fine. I know it's hard not to worry but believe me you made the right choice and it sounds like you picked a really good surgeon. I actually felt calmer and better when I arrived at the hospital on my day of surgery. Everybody goes through the range of emotions, it's just normal. I'm no big brave fearless person and I did alright just as the others on this forum did. They all say the same thing, "I was kinda scared but it wasn't anything like I imagined it would be."

Keep focused on a better life after surgery. The pain and misery will soon be gone. Keep us posted and when you need encouragement we are here for you.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

nekko

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:11:35 AM »
Pjh,

It is normal to be a little bit anxious, but if you think to all the nice things that will come after your surgery, you will turn to a very quiet and peaceful mind. I was in your shoes two months ago, picking a good device and a good surgeon, like you did, and everything went OK. As many members said on this forum: "you will get your life back !" and this is the most important.
Cheers

Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat