+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Twelve days more to join the club  (Read 2498 times)

lswall46

Twelve days more to join the club
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:03:22 PM »
Hi everyone.  This is my first post.  I am a very active 64yr old male who is scheduled for RBHR with Dr. Hickman in Utah in only 12 days.  I am getting nervous.  Have slept reasonably well the last week and you know how the head-games go....I keep asking if I am doing the right thing, if I really need this.  Thanks for letting me share.  I am sure things will go well and I'll keep posting on my progress.

Lopsided

Re: Twelve days more to join the club
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
Don't get nervous. This is when you begin to get better.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:14:45 PM »
Lopsided is right. We were all nervous, but for me, this is the best thing I ever did for myself. Think of how it will be to be pain free.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anniee

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »
Iswall,  I'm a 65 year old woman, so theoretically not a good candidate for resurfacing.  I was very nervous too before the surgery, but it enough pain to know I needed to do something.  I'm about 7 weeks post surgery on my right hip, and it already feels better than the other one, which I'm having fixed in October.  Part of my nervousness was because of my age, thinking that being older might be a problem for healing purposes.  Based on comparisons with the stories of other people on this site, my age has not been an issue in any way.  You will feel so much better once you have this done and start healing!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:22:50 PM »
Your hip will not get better, it will get worse. You are doing the right thing getting it fixed. The surgery will not be anything like you are probably imagining. When it's over you will say, "That wasn't anything like I thought it would be". It isn't bad at all. Trust us, we've been there. We're here for you.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

nekko

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:30:32 AM »
Iswall, it is normal to be a little bit nervous but you can think to all the nice things that you will do after surgery. You will really get you life back without any pain.
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:28 AM »
Yo Is - There are lots of folks here that can offer info about recovery, and surgery, and everything about HR.  I think you did the right thing by posting.  You'll also get lots of encouragement.  Hang in there and I think you'll really enjoy life on the other side of surgery. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
Iswall, hang in there.  I was scared out of my wits.  I don't regret a minute of it and I'm getting ready to get my other hip done.  Yeah, it's a pain in the butt (dont break 90 degrees, take your shots, sleep on your stomach, don't cross legs, etc.) but it will be over before you know it. 

I felt little pain after the surgery. Nothing like the pain I was in before. I am at three months and just had all restircitons lifted. I'm racing Sunday in a Aquavelo. Gonna take it east but at least I get to get back into competition. I'm shooting for last place.

Ed

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »
Ed-

Good goal on the race.  You will definitely need to take it easy at first.  Those of us with those competitive juices have trouble throttling back. 

Go with the Walt Stack philosophy " Start slow and taper off.". Good luck.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
Hey hip! congrats on getting back to the races. I got ten bucks that you'll hit your goal or better!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal