+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How will I get out of my car?  (Read 2515 times)

Denver_wrench

How will I get out of my car?
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
So, I am 7 days post-op and really pleasantly surprised at how well things are going. I can ambulate with one crutch, pain is very manageable, and emotionally I'm much better than pre-surgery, short some impulse-control issues. I don't feel the need to actually go anywhere right now and I've got friends with casseroles, but when I do want to use my car as either a passenger or driver I'm worried as it sits kind of low (maybe 20-22"/ '94 Nissan Maxima). Wondering what kind of devices and tricks you folks might suggest...certainly don't want to put blocks on the pedals and my steering wheel only goes up so far, but maybe I'm overthinking it.
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

lori.36

Re: How will I get out of my car?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Let me see
1st make sure seat is as far back as possible
2nd make sure the stering wheel is up as high as possible
You want to stand in the door way
brace yourself with your arms on the doorway
Sit
try to turn your body into the car
Help the operated leg in with your arms
Oh, the hardest part for me was to shut the door, a really long lean and grab door to shut.

I imagine it is like getting into the shower with a tub, which I did not have to do, because I have a walk in shower.

Let me know if you have any ?s
Oh, and make sure before you go anywhere that you can brake and also you are not on painkillers.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
Agree with all that Lori said, also - I tried to make sure the seat is as high as possible. As for the leverage, I just grab whatever is stable. I found that I was quickly able to get in more normally (within a week or so), so the strategizing only went on for about a week for me.

Getting out is easier for me - just pivot and drop the feet (with hand assists), the crutch goes out first, to provide the third point of leverage - that makes everything stable.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »
It definitely sounds like I will be using my gas guzzling Jeep for awhile.  It has higher seating and is an automatic.  The fuel efficient Honda will have to stay at home for awhile since it is lower and a manual transmission.

Thanks for all the tips.  Lori, your description sounds like what I have to do now when my hip flares up.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Denver_wrench

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of a booster seat, but will just have to practice and come up with a plan, I suppose. We have semi-good public transit here as well, just a little phobic around crowds yet.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:55:48 AM »
I used folded towels to level out the seat and make it higher.  My car is pretty low, not sure it is that low though.  I worried a lot about it before I actually tried to get into it.  The first car I got into was a bit higher, so I was familiar with what I needed to do to get in and out.

It took me a while to get up the confidence to get into the drivers seat and actually drive. I was lucky and actually found that for me it was easier to get in on my drivers side.  I figured that it was because my weaker leg goes in first.  Once I tried it, I think that I would have been ready a fair bit earlier.  I have a manual and am a bilateral so I waited a while before trying (three weeks after I was cleared by the surgeon to drive). When I did try, I got my sister to take me to an empty car park as I figured that there might be some bunny hops and stalling while I learnt to drive again.  I pretty much just got in and drove no relearning required :) 

I'm still wary of public transport but that could well just be an aversion to public transport and nothing at all to do with my hips  ;D

I'm sure that you will figure it out and make it work for you :)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Denver_wrench

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
Well, I think you're right, Lori, a lot of this looks like it will come down to trying things out and finding what works. I have the same kind of aversion to the public world in general aggravated now by being a bit protective of this hip. It would be easier if I were in England as the steering wheel would be on a better side!

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 03:57:33 AM »
It would be easier if I were in England as the steering wheel would be on a better side!

Or here - England drives on the same side as us in Australia :) 
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Anniee

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »
Lori Cee, you're still my hero!  I always feel like such a wimp when I read your posts.

I guess I'm luck to have a small SUV that I actually have to kind of climb up into - that worked really well after the surgery!  Also, I put the seat as far back as I could to still reach the pedals and the steering wheel.  The automatic transmission helped as well.

Denver, I was out there a few weeks ago for my grandson's high school graduation.  We rode on the train to the graduation ceremony, which was held at Denver University.  The train was majorly delayed because of some problem down the line, and were were almost late for the graduation, so I can kind of understand your frustration with public transportation.  Where I live, there is no public transport to get frustrated with.  You either drive yourself, or get family or friends to drive you.  Not sure which is worse...
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Denver_wrench

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
Yes, I was wondering about taking Light Rail here in Denver. Think you may have given me some insight on that. And Lori has given me an excuse to visit my Australian family.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal