+-

Author Topic: Squeaky Hip  (Read 3737 times)

FlbrkMike

Squeaky Hip
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:08:12 AM »
The wife and I went for a four mile hike this morning to the top of a local mountain and back down - a vertical rise of about 1200 feet.  This is a pretty strenous hike, but we took it very slowly mainly because the wife was getting out of breath.  Truthfully the hardest part for me was coming down the hill -- my knees and quads get pretty tired but my hips gave me no problems at all.

After the hike I went shopping at the farmers market, Costco and the grocery store.  When I got home I took a nice hot spa and then jumped in the pool to cool off.  As I was climbing the steps to get out of the pool my left hip squeaked like a rusty hinge.  I could feel it vibrate, and I heard it squeak.  My wife, who was sitting next to the pool also heard it.  At first it really freaked me out because it had never happened before.  But then I climbed up and down the steps a few times to see if I could get it to squeak again.  It worked a few times but not always.  I hear that this can happen if you get dehydrated and the synovial fluid fails to properly lubricate the joint, but I didn't feel at all dehydrated today.  Maybe it also had something to do with the sudden temperature changes.

Like I said, it sort of freaked me out at first.  Now, I wish I could find a way to make it squeak on demand.  I've heard of creaky joints but I don't know anybody who can make their joints squeak.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:09:17 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hernanu

Re: Squeaky Hip
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:06:22 PM »
I always heard (from martial arts teachers, soccer coaches, etc.) that by the time you feel thirst, you're already dehydrated. This may be true (or not), but I always hydrated before any intense activity. Since we depend on the lubrication of the synovial fluid, maybe it's just as important. Should be interesting to check it out (google is my friend).

Maybe Costco took it over the edge (all those free samples)  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

stevel

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
Dehydration is definitely a factor.  I was hunting steep slopes for blue grouse this Spring and my left hip squeaked occasionally when stooping over or crossing logs.  When my hamstrings begin to cramp, I know I'm not getting enough water.  This extended overnight and the next morning as my hip squeaked once when rising from bed.  It hasn't squeaked since and never squeaked before.  So I'm going to carry extra water during my hunts and be sure I drink plenty during my timeouts from playing racquetball.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:48:43 AM »
This morning I found that I could make it squeak if I bend over like I'm picking something up from the floor.  Also, it squeaks sometimes when I get up from a chair.  It's kind of funny and it would be cool if I could teach myself to play a tune on my hip, but if it lasts too long it might get annoying.  I wonder if excessive squeaking can cause any damage to the hardware.

I sent an email to my doctor this afternoon to see if he thinks there's any cause for concern.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

stevel

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »
When somebody says "You are so tight, you squeak!", then bend over and squeak.

My physical therapist thought the squeaks could be a result of over using the muscles and hip joint during the rigorous alpine hunt.
If you are still strengthening the hip muscles after recent surgery, then the squeaks should diminish.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
You squeak and I feel a hum.  No radio broadcasts yet.  Just when I am sitting quiet I feel a little hum in the op hip. I hope I can get HBO.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »
You guys crack me up!  My hip doesn't squeak or hum - I feel cheated!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »
I squeaked once this morning and haven't been able to get to squeak at all since.  Tried to demonstrate it to a couple of co-workers and felt like the guy who takes his car to the shop and it doesn't make the grinding noise when the mechanic is driving.   >:(

I'm about to go out and get a workout on my rower and then do all of my PT exercises.  Maybe that will dehydrate me enough to bring back my squeak.   :-\
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 02:17:27 AM »
Mike,
You crack me up!  ;D  Maybe a shot of WD-40?
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
Maybe a shot of WD-40?

This reminds me of a tv commercial we have here.
He'd look even more surprised if it was young guy that kept on squeaking. 
I guess you probably wouldn't have a cart like that either.... poor guy wouldn't know what to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX_kLEovriM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »
Lori that is hilarious.........  They need to make one with a hip receiving hip hop radio signals. I won't be able to turn down the music even after a cop traffic stop.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

FlbrkMike

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
Unfortunately they have Youtube blocked here at work.  I'll have to be sure and watch that video at home.

I haven't heard a squeak from my hip since Monday morning, but I'm pretty sure that it (the hip) is still there. 

My surgeon sent me an email explaining that it's probably NOT caused by dehydration per se but an instantaneous loss of the fluid that gets between the two parts. This can be induced by a sort of positioning that levers the head and likely then allows it to squeeze the fluid out momentarily allowing direct contact of the metal parts and audible squeaking.  Also, that it's happened before but always seems to go away within a few days with no intervention.

That makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:15:20 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Anniee

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:24:43 PM »
Great video!!!  I really needed that laugh after coming home from work today.  Thanks, Lori Cee!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

FlbrkMike

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
To anybody who read my previous message above, I wrote that my doctor told me that the squeak was "probably caused by dehydration per se..."

I made a big mistake by leaving out the word NOT.  My apologies to anybody who read this and may have gotten the wrong impression.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:20:05 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 05:27:23 AM »
That video is hilarious.  Thanks for the chuckle.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 05:40:31 AM »
Mike:  I really hope its still there :)  The only reason I know mine is there is the absence of pain.  It's weird that something foreign can so quickly become a fully integrated part that just belongs.  I read the explanation before and after the NOT and in my brain the dehydration makes more sense even if it isn't true.  I kind of understand what the surgeon is saying but I can't help but say 'why?' I can't seem to get my brain around how that works.  I'm happy to take it on faith that is 'just how it is' :)

Hip:  That would be pretty cool.  I think that mine are likely to pick up signals than many other ones since mine have an antennal!  ;) 

Glad you guys liked the video.  It appeals to my sense of humour which is not always appreciated  ;D
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

FlbrkMike

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:35 AM »
Great video.   ;D ;D

Not only does sound like me, she looks a lot like me too!! ;)

I haven't had a squeak since Monday morning.  I guess it was just a passing fancy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:27:53 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM