+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Dr. Bose soon, can't tolerate pain meds! help?!!?!?  (Read 3057 times)

alpsters

Hey y'all, thanks for all the fabulous information being posted, it's been an enormous help preparing for my trip in 10 days!
I am only concerned about one thing and that is that when I take pain meds I get nauseous and throw up. Then I get a migraine and have to take meds for that. I'm really sensitive to drugs and worried a bit about pain management post-op. Anybody out there have any input, suggestions or similar experiences?
thanks! :P

Lopsided

Re: Going to Dr. Bose soon, can't tolerate pain meds! help?!!?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:46:09 AM »
E-mail and tell Dr. Bose about your sensitivity before you leave.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:59:18 AM »
When you email, I'd also include a list of what you can and can't take.  Not sure if the pills that you are taking for migraines are some type of pain killer or anti-inflammatory but I'd include that in the can take as it might indicate a family of drugs that may be suitable.

I wasn't able to take oxycontin or endone as they made me sick and hallucinate.  I am still able to take panadeine forte and ibruprofen.  Between that and ice, things were all good.  The pain wasn't bad at all which really surprised me.  I wouldn't have expected that to be enough, but it was and I scaled it down pretty quickly when I came home.

I'm sure that you won't be the first person that Dr Bose has worked with that has similar issues and will have some ideas on different medication options.

Best wishes for your upcoming trip and surgery.
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
I wasn't able to take oxycontin or endone as they made me sick and hallucinate.

Aha, that's why your x-rays come out in blue then.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »
Lori and lopsided have it right - let them know about it and they'll take that into account. Everyone's different, but after the IVs came off, I only used Tylenol extra strength, so you may not need stronger stuff - either way, work with the doctor on it, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck with everything, keep us posted.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:00:08 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk and Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.  There are many kinds of pain meds and hopefully, they will find one that will work with you.  The folks are correct in suggesting you write to Dr. Bose ahead of time.  Be sure to remind everyone before your surgery in the hospital.  Some people don't need a lot of pain meds after a couple days.  Also they can give you meds for the nausea.  I get sick with most meds, but whatever they gave me in Belgium kept the pain away while keeping the nausea away. It was moraphine at first, but then some kind of codene.  As soon as I left the hospital and the nausea meds wore off, I had to stop the codene meds and stick with Advil.  So the point is that they will try their best to take care of you and keep you out of pain and from being sick, too. 

Good Luck.  Dr. Bose is a wonderful hip resurfacing surgeon. I have read tons of email from many happy patients.  I will watching for your post op recovery posts.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
I agree with what everyone else has said.  I received anti-nausea drugs both pre- and post-op, because I have had problems with getting sick after surgery in the past.  I had no problems, and came off the narcotics after a few days.  I've taken nothing but Tylenol since.

I'm sure you'll be just fine!  Best of luck!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:06:40 PM »
I wasn't able to take oxycontin or endone as they made me sick and hallucinate.

Aha, that's why your x-rays come out in blue then.

Nah, it's because I'm really a superhero now - just a little surgical side effect ;D
(that's what colour the first ones I had that I photographed with my iPhone using a fluro light in the background.  Not sure if it was the film colour, light or camera but I liked the effect so didn't update with the digital one :) )
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).

Lopsided

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
Nah, it's because I'm really a superhero now

Lori, I would not think of you as anything less.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 04:49:10 AM »
Thanks lopsided :) 

Think we are all pretty super around here.  This discussion board is kind of like our lair where we all hangout and keep each others secret identities a secret  ;D

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 05:11:50 AM »
I don't get on well with codeine either. Ask for Tramadol (Ultram etc.) It's effective and has few side effects that I've noticed. Good Luck.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear