+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: THR rt Toukas & knee pain 7wks post op  (Read 2029 times)

QuintessentialHC

THR rt Toukas & knee pain 7wks post op
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
Hello!! New here, and had Total HR on May 2.  I know this is surfacing, but haven't found anything quite like thus place, so I hope it is OK. I am on week 7 after posterio-lateral std replacement.  I am done with the walker back 3 wks, and only use cane early mornings and chilly damp days.  I still ice religiously for pain more than swelling, although I had considerable swelling the first 2 wks.  I am having the issue of my behind just at the top of my scar, across to the middle if my cheek, indented and sore most of the time and screaming angry some of the time.  Also, mid thigh about 3" below 10" scar, same thing, as well as the knee on the top outside around to under kneecap.  I still am numb over the top of the knee.  Have I strained my glut muscle that was cut during surgery?  And or the tendons? And is that the same for the knee?  My top outside ankle is frequency sore at the same time..  It feels almost like a blunt saw blade grating thru the muscle.  No infection and very little swelling although I do believe my hips are at least an inch and a half bigger around troch to troch.  I am religious on my PT, walking, stretching and try very hard not to overdo.  It just hasn't made sense about timing of intense pain to activities.  Just happens whenever.  I am done for now.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: THR rt Toukas & knee pain 7wks post op
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:37:09 PM »
Well some of your pain certainly sounds the same as that caused by my very tight IT (iliotibial) band.  This runs from your butt to your knee.  I have had issues since college with this band.  It seems to be a common problem with hip surgery patients.  After hiking, golf, biking, and so forth I will get pain on the outside of my thigh and around my knee.  I have found that I can massage deep in my butt at the top of the band (about where your pocket on your jeans would be) and relieve the pain.

I can only recommend stretching and ice.  Others may have better knowledge and experience.
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

QuintessentialHC

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
Thank you for the heads up. It doesn't feel like I have done something wrong but it is quite annoying and perplexing.  I do find myself kneading the pocket area when its real angry, so maybe it is what you say.  I don't have followup until the 6th of July and do my own PT, and until I read what you wrote, I hadn't seen anything that came close to helping me to understand what was happening. Not frantic but concerned?  Again, thanks.  I have found most other answers from reading other topics. Before this I wouldn't have believed that a pain in the butt would be sooo much hand in hand with the knee and thigh.  Its all like its part of the same thing but opposite?!? Like dragging from the top and wound waaaaay too tight at the knee.  Tks again.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
Hi. Welcome to Hip Talk.  It is fine to post here since the folks are understanding and supportive.  THR and resurfacing are both major surgeries and have some problems in common.  I am not sure what is wrong since I am not a doctor or medically trained.  The only thing that comes to mind is maybe take a few days off from the PT and activities and let your body rest more.  Ice and elevate your leg when you can.  Give it a vacation and see if you might be pushing too hard.  I know you think you are not pushing hard - but your body is telling you something and you need to listen.  A little R & R might just help.  If not, I would talk more with your surgeon and maybe the PT will be able to help.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
Thank you for the heads up. It doesn't feel like I have done something wrong but it is quite annoying and perplexing.  I do find myself kneading the pocket area when its real angry, so maybe it is what you say.  I don't have followup until the 6th of July and do my own PT, and until I read what you wrote, I hadn't seen anything that came close to helping me to understand what was happening. Not frantic but concerned?  Again, thanks.  I have found most other answers from reading other topics. Before this I wouldn't have believed that a pain in the butt would be sooo much hand in hand with the knee and thigh.  Its all like its part of the same thing but opposite?!? Like dragging from the top and wound waaaaay too tight at the knee.  Tks again.

Hello and welcome! Like Pat said, I'm not a medical person, but from two resurfacings, I can tell you that the outside pain sounds like the IT band. I had issues with that on my first recovery, especially using stairs. I worked with a physical therapist on a set of stretches specifically for that band, and it helped immensely not just with that, but also with the other leg.

Icing helps a lot, but for me, the inclusion of good physical therapists was crucial. I did exercises which I hadn't thought of myself, and safely was brought up to the more intense exercises. It only lasted about two months per leg, at which point I "graduated" (no prom, but I did get a t-shirt).

Anyways, good luck and welcome!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM