+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another feel-good report...5 months tomorrow...  (Read 1573 times)

AlanN

Another feel-good report...5 months tomorrow...
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:37:55 PM »
...and everything is going superbly.

Prior to my BHR left side I struggled to walk for more than 200 meters and would then have intense pain for a couple of days.

Sleeping was almost impossible.

My op was carried out by Mr. Graham Keene and the transformation is just night and day.
I started walking a mile at a time at approximately two weeks from op, with crutches.
Ok the mile would take 25-30 minutes but I could do it and the hip pain was minimal.
By four weeks I was walking 1.5 miles in 18-20 minutes, still with crutches (my surgeon insisted I take them whenever out of the house for the first six weeks) but hardly using them at all.
By six weeks I was walking 3 miles in 45 minutes, no crutches.

At the six week stage I also started some very light (20 minutes, 70 watts) on an exercise bike, four to five times a week.

Anyway, to cut the post short and to save you from boredom, now, at five months, I am training in the gym with basically no restrictions.
I am doing 90deg squats, with light weights, with no problem at all.
Concept rowing machine is also fine, so much more comfortable than prior to the operation (last two years I just couldn't use it).

All cardio equipment is also now a joy to use (well as much of a "joy" as training can be!) and I don't leave the gym in agony and I wake up with stiff muscles not an incapacitated hip.

My wife has commented many times that I now have an enthusiasm about me when it comes to getting out of bed and getting on with the day whereas previously I simply didn't want to get up!

My friends say that I look much better and the "pain" that was etched on my face is now gone.

As you may deduce, I am one massively happy bunny :-)

To all of you out there on the other side of the proceedure or recently "done"...just hang on in and do as your surgeon tells you and the transformation in your life will be far greater than you ever imagined, mine certainly was/has been!

Oh and as a ps...thanks to Pat for this site, and everybody on here for the help/encouragement/advice/camaraderie which without I would have struggled.

VIVA LA HIPPYS!! ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:44:10 PM by AlanN »
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

hernanu

Re: Another feel-good report...5 months tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »
Congrats and thanks for the post!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lori.36

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
Alan,

Wonderful story.  I am happy to hear that all is well and that you are back to feeling 100%.  I am at the 6 week marker and I am happy that i have done it also.  Thanks for the update and all the detail.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

rbt2011

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »
AlanN

Great to hear you are doing so well.  Best of luck on your continued recovery. 

Personally, I appreciate you sharing your story as it gives us guys on the "other side" hope.

Right side BHR 11/29/2011

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:23:41 PM »
Alan-

I echo rbt2011's comments.  It is inspirtional to hear success stories from the other side.  I will be there soon.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Denver_wrench

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
These are the kind of posts that helped me while I was preparing for surgery, and I can also attest to good results at almost three weeks post-op. I did a 2-3 mile hike at 7500 ft a couple days ago (though I think the blood thinner may have made me slightly woozy), and today went up and down the stairs at Red Rocks (those of you from Colorado know what I'm talking about). The advice I've been given is to listen to my body and be sensible; but I've found doing the exercises and walking has been very helpful both physically and as a confidence builder.
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat