+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR info for Kaiser patients in Denver  (Read 4677 times)

rob9421

BHR info for Kaiser patients in Denver
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
Just had appt. with only known BHR Dr. in Denver's Kaiser service area.  He informed me that he is no longer doing BHR's due to the recent issues with muscle and soft tissue damage relating to the devices.  He only commented on the recent studies and the De Puy recall. He has been told "by other sources" to move away from BHR's until more information comes out on the damage and if it is truly device related.  At one point he stated he wanted "to limit his exposure also" which makes me wonder if it is not a Kaiser cost issue as well as a lawsuit protection maneuver.  On another point he indicated that he has done over 150 BHR's and would get one himself, if needed, until the recent issues surfaced.  I could only find this one BHR doctor in the system and unless someone else knows of a BHR Denver Kaiser Dr, I'm THR bound because of Kaiser.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:00:08 AM by rob9421 »

rob9421

Re: BHR info for Kaiser patients in Denver
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Per another member, there was a 2nd Kaiser Dr. that did BHR's.  However that Dr. has also stopped performing them as of the June, due to the metal ion issue.  Sounds like Kaiser is turning their back on this instead of making sure they do it right.

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
For all listening, there is not 'metal ion issue', there are only badly placed and wrong choices of device issues.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

rob9421

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:01:20 AM »
figured as much, just wish they would stop and look at the issue, i.e. placement, devices etc.  Not just stop doing the procedure.

lori.36

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
hmmm, so the Colorado doctors that I know of that do this procedure are in order of my preference
Dr Rector, Boulder
Dr Dayton, University Hospital
Dr Kelly, Denver Joint Insitute
Does Kaiser have an out of network option?  Dont know much about your plan, but Out of Network is sometimes an option.
Can you change your insurance coverage? 
Best of luck to you.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

rob9421

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
Hi Lori,
Change insurance, no.  But there is a triple option plan (+$200 a month) thru Kaiser.  Still researching that one, but Dayton is on the list of Dr's to use thru that plan. 

Denver_wrench

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 02:28:30 AM »
I'd like to hear more about the triple-option plan. I'll be seeing my guy in a couple weeks for follow-up. So far, so good, so far...
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

lori.36

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »
Have you meet with Dayton.  I never meet him or spoke with him, but I did schedule an appointment.  I opted to go with Dr Rector, because of his knowledge and experience.   All the doctors that I listed where on my plan.  Did you see the Univerisity of Colorado's website for the hip preservation clinic.  That is where my interest with Dayton started.
http://www.uch.edu/conditions/bones-joints-muscle/joint-replacement/
Dont know what the "triple option plan (+$200 a month) thru Kaiser." is, but if you could choose any doctor for $200, I would do that and choose dr rector again saying this without meeting Dr Dayton.

I should mention that the surgery bill for Dr Rector was $3k, the vast majority of the 50K cost from the hospital.  Are you able to go to which ever hospital that you want? Best of luck making your decisions.  Here if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:32:04 PM by lori.36 »
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
Just reread your message.  Are you saying that Dr Dayton is no longer doing HR?  Why do they still have it listed on their website?   :o
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

rob9421

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:06:41 PM »
Denver Wrench,
Glad to hear things are going well for you!!!  Wish I had the success getting under the wire as you did.

Lori,
the triple option plan lets you go out of network for some things, trying to find out if surgery is covered for Dayton,  Yes, as far as I know he is still doing BHR's but what I was saying is that he is under what they called the Preferred Provider in the triple option plan.  By the way it's not 200 for just seeing the DR, it's an additional 200 a month added on to the premium I already pay and I'm stuck with my plan choice for 1 year at a time.

Denver_wrench

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »
Thanks, Rob. Wishing you the best getting through this...it should be easier for you but let's hope at the end of the day it's "all's well that ends well."
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

lori.36

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
Rob,  Sorry to hear that, because that is $2400 for the year.  You have some hard questions to ask you insurance carrier.  I am curious.  Since the cost for the additional insurance is $2400 instead, could you use Dr Rector and just pay the 3,000 and then all the hospital would be under your insurance?  Insurance should be easier then this. 
Are any of the top docs on the Kaiser plan.  Maybe you could fly to NYC for Dr Su, or SC for Dr Gross?  Hopefully there is an option for you. 
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM