+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seeking Recomendations for a PT Program for Hip Osteoarthritis  (Read 2782 times)

Jeremy76761

Hi All,

I'm 36 years old, recently diagnosed with "mild" OA in my left hip. Unfortunately, I have pain in my groin and buttocks even after walking just five minutes. All this pain just started in Mid-March, 3 months after a couple clinicians accidentally caused 3 tears on my rectus femoris (quadriceps) in November-December 2010 using the Graston Technique.

I have managed to put together a small program of PT to protect the hip and reduce pain.

1. Bridging
2. Abductor leg raise
3. Adductor leg raise
4. Hip Flexion
5. Monster Walk (Theraband around ankles and/or knees and walking).
6. Once the quad is stronger, squat and leg curl variations.

Sadly, there seems to be no widely accepted and tested exercise protocol. Could anyone provide me with suggested exercises or tips that helped or help them??
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:58:37 PM by Jeremy76761 »

Jeremy76761

Re: Seeking Recomendations for a PT Program for Hip Osteoarthritis
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
Hi folks,

Just to add, I'm only looking for ideas related to PT to slow OA -- not PT for soft tissue injuries.

Thanks,

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
Pre-op, I was bone on bone due to arthritis damage.  This damage had been there for many years and overtime my ranges diminished and the level of activity I could do before severe pain entered the equation also diminished.  Walking was a big issue for me and a lot of other types of exercise like the stationary bike was a no go.  For about eight years pre-op, I did regular pilates sessions in a studio utilising the cadillac and reformer.  Some of the exercises were modified for what I could do, but I could still do a full hour program and build core strength and lean muscle.  My body coped well with resistance exercises and I was able to build strength.  When I was away for a few weeks I noticed the difference in my mobility. 

You can mix up the bridges by putting your feet on a fit ball or a bosu.  If you are using a fit ball, you can work up to pulling your feet in when you are in the bridge position.  You can also start from sitting on the fit ball and roll down so it is between your shoulders and you are kind of in a bridge.  From this held position use small arm weights to do arm exercises.  Arms get worked as well as glutes to hold the position.  There are heaps more things that you can do with a fit ball.

A foam roller is also a good investment.  While laying on it (running down the length of your spine) you can try lifting alternate arm and leg (the dead bug exercise mentioned here before).  As balance improves you can lift the other arm up so you aren't using it to aid balance.

I'd suggest working with a good pilates instructor or physio to build a program that suits you personally. 
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Jeremy76761

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
Hi Lori,

Thanks for the note. Sounds like you were in that small group with more limitations early on with your OA, not being able to use a bike for instace. But you were able to adapt and continue to develop regardless. Just what one has to do. Now you are in a better position for it in important ways.

Funny you mention the bosu ball. I just bought a book on strength ball training. Started weightlifting at 16, but at 36 training that allows mobility is the best. Thanks for those exercises; I will try those for sure.

I have a foam roller also; really excellent for loosening up my quad injury. But didn't know about the Dead Bug. Pilates also a good idea. Thanks.

I hope you are doing well now, able to do all the kinds of training you want to do with the HR. I imagine many of these exercises are useful post-surgery as well to offer the hips that extra protection, stability, and strength.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat