+-

Author Topic: Dr. Marwin - July 9th  (Read 2805 times)

Hummer

Dr. Marwin - July 9th
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:15:13 AM »
Hi all,
This is my first post since i joint this great website back in april.  I learned a lot from all the posts and want to tank all of you.  I'm 43 years old and have osteoarthritis on my left hip.  Last few months I'm in lots of pain and cant wait till July 9th to have surgery!  I been very active and played soccer all my life.  Dr. Marwin and his staff have been awesome. i will post detailed recovery after my surgery.
My only fear is getting epidural shot and waking up during the surgery.  Do they give you epidural shot before anesthesia while you still awake or after? 
Thanks,
-NADO
LBHR July 9, 2011 / Dr. Marwin

hipnhop

Re: Dr. Marwin - July 9th
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:52:40 AM »
Don't even worry about it. I didn't even feel a thing. I was advised to do the epidural by a friend who had both his hips done by Dr Mont in 2006.  The first he had under general and said he woke up feeling ill. The second he did with epidural and loved it.

They gave me something  before the epidural (I don't know what it was).  I didn't feel a thing before or after. I woke up telling jokes and as high as a kite.  I remember shivering like crazy and the soothing feeling of the heated blanket being placed on me.  I can't believe all this happened on MArch 17 ( a little more than 3 months ago) and know I am running up and down stairs (that's the least of it).

The first few days are hard.  I remember not even being able to hoist my leg on the bed or reaching the first step of my stairs without assitance form a cane or crutch. With PT and diligence I was able to do those things in a few weeks.  Now I can leap about for steps in a single bound. It's amazing what is happening. It gets better every week.

I was thinking about doing a 5k this July 4th weekend but I am going to take it slow.  I really think I can do it but don't want to push things too much. Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

Hippin and Hoppin
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

FlbrkMike

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:55 AM »
Good luck NADO, you'll do fine!!

They gave me the epidural before anesthesia, and left it in for about 24 hours.  It was the used after my surgery for delivery of the PCA delivered pain meds.  I had an epidural and general anesthesia and did not wake up at all during surgery. 

Like hipnhop  I woke up in recovery telling jokes.  After my first BHR the surgeon came to see me in recovery and the first thing I said was "let's do the other one!!"
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:25:23 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Hummer

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
Thanks, hipnhop & FibrkMike!
I just cant wait to get it done.  I'm in so much pain and cant sleep at night even with pain killers.  Now i understand when people were saying "I got my life back" after surgery.  I have wonderful wife and two boys age 10 & 7 and they been very supportive.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
You're going to do great, Nado! I also dropped soccer the year before my surgeries, and now my teammates are getting huffy about when I come back as they see me walking around normally. I've told them next year after I get my hips properly strengthened for cutting (not just running).

I didn't have an epidural, but I just went down and came up not even noticing that the surgery was done.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

double trouble

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
I had bilateral BHR with Dr. Marwin 9/28/10. I was under anesthesia, You can check with his office or I would think you can request to be anesthetized. He is a great surgeon and his staff is top notch.
I am back to playing golf--shooting in the 80's.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
Hummer - I'm 42, have bilat OA, played soccer all my life, have a beautiful wife and 2 boys (both 14).  I'm pretty much in the same spot as you.  Had my first surgery last Feb and went with the epidural.  I had a nice dose of oxy about an hour before they put the needle in.  I rolled into the OR pretty loopy and then once I got on the table, the anesthesiologist slowly injected a few other things, I believe the main kicker was the benzodiazepine, Versed, once that hit, I was pretty much out, or at least that's what I remember.   I "woke" in recovery much the same as HipnHop, chills, joking around with the recovery nurse, asked for tons of ice chips and hungry as hell.  I gave the nuirse a hug for her being so patient with me. 

I wouldn't worry about it.  I do think talking to the anesthesiologist will give you lots of confidence and if you go epidural, the anesthesiologist will be able to mess with the drugs to put you where you want.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Hummer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »
I want to tank all of you for your support, it really helps.  I cant wait to have a full night of sleep, it's been long time since i slept more then 2 hours at once. 

Anniee

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:40:39 AM »
Hummer, I had an epidural with"twilight sleep".  I never felt that epidural go in, and woke up, wide awake and feeling great when the surgery was over.  None of the nausea and grogginess of general anesthesia.  I think this is the way to go if you have the choice.  My daughter's best friend is a nurse anesthetist, and she told my daughter doctors prefer epidurals to general anesthesia because, for some unknown reason, there is less risk of infection, as well as less bleeding.

Best of luck to you!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

JMS

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 12:54:39 AM »
I had a spinal block for the first surgery - very easy more or less painless shot in the back, then was wheeled down to the OR wide awake.  Once I was on the table and settled in the right position, I presume the anaesthetist put some sedative into my IV because I dozed off and the next thing I knew they were stitching me up.  I could feel pressure but no pain.  Dozed lightly until recovery room, and apart from being thirsty felt just fine.  No grogginess or nausea, and a really good recovery.

The second operation was a revision surgery, so it lasted considerably longer. The anaesthetist explained that a spinal wouldn't last long enough, so it had to be an epidural this time so they could top it up during surgery.  I was a bit apprehensive about the "tube sticking out of my back" which was what I visualized for an epi.  But in fact it was a tiny thin flexible tube that was brought up to a patch glued to my shoulder, so it was perfectly comfortable. I was also given a local block - not sure why that was necessary to be honest.  Despite the much longer time frame, the surgery experience and the recovery were almost exactly like the first time in terms of coming out of sleep as they were stitching me up and smooth recovery - just thirsty this time.

I was so pleased I had gone with the regional anaesthesia.  Definitely the way to go.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »
I want to tank all of you for your support, it really helps.  I cant wait to have a full night of sleep, it's been long time since i slept more then 2 hours at once.

That was one of the amazing things after surgery. I slept.

At first, while in the hospital I attributed it to drugs (although the pain was gone), but then I got home and although sleeping on my back was a new experience and the incision was a bit sore, once I was comfortable in bed I really slept hard.

The first few weeks I awoke a couple of times per night because I had bad night sweats, but once I toned down the Tylenol, (or maybe because a couple of weeks had elapsed), I slept completely through the night. Bliss.

I'm still sleeping very well, and can say that I do wake up refreshed. I also slept one or two hours at a time before the surgeries, would wake up in pain, sometimes with a dislocated hip. The sleep I had was also so light it barely let me rest, and when I awoke, I was usually awake for a half hour or an hour. Sleep deprivation that lasted for at least 5 years that I remember.

Hummer

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »
6:30am local time here in New York city.  My wife packed the bag and I'm ready to rock and roll.  Surgery is scheduled for 10:45am.  Can't wait to take that first step with my new Smith & Nephew hip (BHR).  Be back this afternoon with update.

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
Good luck! look forward to your update.

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »
Best wishes Hummer.  Look forward tonhearing from you on the other side.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

rbt2011

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
Congrats Hummer.....By the time you read this you'll be a "fixed"....your hip that is.

Look forward to your update and all the best to you for a speedy recovery!!
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Hummer

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 01:28:34 AM »
Hello my hippy friends,
Yes.....surgery was done this afternoon and all went well.  I thought that I will get very nervos while waiting for surgery room prep...instead I was in very very good mood and not scared at all.  Dr. Marwin came over to talk to me and my wife and answered all the questions that we had.   Everyone in operating room was very friendly.  They put me to sleep and that was it, after that I woke up in recovering room by my wife's kiss. 
Thank you guys for a great support!?

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
Congrats and welcome to the other side! Great way to wake up.

pjh1765

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »
Congratulations!!  Glad to hear that all went well. 
Left BHR 6/22/11 Dr. Lannin - Stanford Univ. Hospital

nekko

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »
Congratulations, Hummer. You will feel better and better, on this side of the surgery  ;)
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

Recent Posts

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 19, 2021, 05:42:06 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by catfriend
October 18, 2021, 06:08:25 PM

Re: Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by LarryBud
October 18, 2021, 10:43:42 AM

Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by gray horse
October 17, 2021, 04:16:50 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal