+-

Author Topic: Graduation Day  (Read 3578 times)

FlbrkMike

Graduation Day
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
Yesterday was my last day of PT, so now I guess I'm on my own.

I've got some exercise balls and Therabands, but my biggest challenge is going to be finding the time and motivation to continue my exercises on a regular basis.  Going to PT twice a week was a really good way to maintain some focus. 

Have to make sure to get on the Concept 2 at least three or four times a week, and I really need to get my bike fixed so I can start riding.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

bothdone

Re: Graduation Day
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:02:28 PM »
Hi Mike

I try to do 10 mins stretching every morning.   I manage to do it most days but some days other things get in the way.

Recently I've been getting back into Concept 2 rowing.  I was very pleased to do 20.23.3 for 5000m on Wednesday, with no ill effects.    The Concept 2 rower gives you no place to hide - it is a beast, but very rewarding when you stick to it.    I also bash away on the exercise bike a couple of times a week.  Another good place to keep the fitness going.

I hope things go well for you.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

FlbrkMike

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
Hi Ed,

It's great what you're doing on the rower.  Keep up the good work.  I bought one around 1995 and used it religiously for about 12 years, 5 days a week, but had to put it away about 4 years ago because of my back and hips.  I got it out about a month ago and have been slowly getting back into it.  I'm now using it once or twice a week (I need to do more) and can do a 20 minute set at very low resistance and get about 4500 meters.  Then I cool down slowly until I reach 5000. 

At one time I had gotten up to workouts of 60+ minutes and could keep up a pace of around 7:00 per 2000 meters the whole time.  I'm so out of shape now, I don't think I'll ever get back to that level but it's still great exercise.

Do you get blisters on your fingers from the handle?

Mike
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:21:43 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »
Hi Ed,

At one time I had gotten up to workouts of 60+ minutes and could keep up a pace of around 7:00 per 2000 meters the whole time.  I'm so out of shape now, I don't think I'll ever get back to that level but it's still great exercise.

Mike

Hi Mike

Wow!   60 mins at 7.00 min 2km pace - that's superb.    My best ever 2km was 7.28 and that was just one 2km.   

The longest I've ever rowed is 30 mins and I can remember getting a very numb rear end from the hard seat!     I've never had blisters on my hands from rowing - I only row twice a week at most: one 3km to 5km session and one shorter reps.   I enjoy the mental toughness of it.  It is so easy to go off too fast and then blow up.  Hanging in there can be hard work.  :)   

I look forward to hearing how you get on.   Is there a Concept 2 thread on here?

All the best

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
Mike, congrats on the graduation! I asked for a full ceremony (hat, procession, etc.) and they gave me a t-shirt. C'est la vie (please correct, nekko).

Sounds like you're well set up, the thing I've added to what I was doing before is the intense core stuff that I learned in PT. I did not like the fact that with all my working out before the procedures, I was not strong in the lower abdomen. Keep going, you're on your way.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:53:25 PM »
Hi Ed,

Mike

Hi Mike

Wow!   60 mins at 7.00 min 2km pace - that's superb.    My best ever 2km was 7.28 and that was just one 2km.   

The longest I've ever rowed is 30 mins and I can remember getting a very numb rear end from the hard seat!     I've never had blisters on my hands from rowing - I only row twice a week at most: one 3km to 5km session and one shorter reps.   I enjoy the mental toughness of it.  It is so easy to go off too fast and then blow up.  Hanging in there can be hard work.  :)   

I look forward to hearing how you get on.   Is there a Concept 2 thread on here?

All the best

Ed

I'm a little embarassed that I posted that yesterday.  I'm no superman.  It's been so long since I really timed myself, I forgot what I used to do.  I actually used to be able to keep up a 2 min/500 meter pace (8 min/2000m!!) just about indefinitely.  7 minutes at one time was my target for a single 2000m, and I eventually got it down to around 6:45 when I was in my mid-40s, and just about killing myself to do it.

All these numbers don't really matter anyway except for keeping track of your own progress - it's getting out there and doing it that really matters.  Like you said, it takes some mental toughness to keep going.  I have my rower in the garage and used to watch this little TV when I rowed, to keep me from getting really bored.  I also tend to count my strokes to keep my mind occupied and not go crazy.  The TV doesn't work anymore, though, since we went to digital cable.  That's how long it's been since I rowed seriously.  I need a new TV or a boombox or something.

I have to tape my fingers, just below the top knuckle, to keep from getting blisters.  Maybe I need to hold the bar closer in to my hand.  We should start a C2 thread and keep track of our progress. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:53:59 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:03:03 PM »
Mike, congrats on the graduation! I asked for a full ceremony (hat, procession, etc.) and they gave me a t-shirt. C'est la vie (please correct, nekko).

Sounds like you're well set up, the thing I've added to what I was doing before is the intense core stuff that I learned in PT. I did not like the fact that with all my working out before the procedures, I was not strong in the lower abdomen. Keep going, you're on your way.

Hi Hernan,
I threatened to wear a cap and gown to my last session but I have a feeling they wouldn't have let me in the door.   ;D

I never used to do much core stuff either, or stretching.  I think you've got the right idea.  I'm going to keep doing both of those.  I think that when I used to row a lot I should have done more stretching.  My quads got really strong, but I think my flexibility really suffered from not stretching.  I'm feel like I'm still paying for that now because that's where my biggest problems are.  Gotta stretch, and tighten up those abs!!
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 01:15:49 AM »
Hi Mike

I try to do 10 mins stretching every morning.   I manage to do it most days but some days other things get in the way.

Recently I've been getting back into Concept 2 rowing.  I was very pleased to do 20.23.3 for 5000m on Wednesday, with no ill effects.    The Concept 2 rower gives you no place to hide - it is a beast, but very rewarding when you stick to it.    I also bash away on the exercise bike a couple of times a week.  Another good place to keep the fitness going.

I hope things go well for you.

Ed

Ed, I just did 6000 meters in 26:48.  That's about 2:14/500 meters, and my longest piece since starting up again. 

I have a long way to go to catch up with your pace.   :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:16:22 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Lopsided

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
I'm a little embarassed that I posted that yesterday.

No you're not. You love posting about it.

Glad you are progressing.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

bothdone

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 08:23:02 AM »
Ed, I just did 6000 meters in 26:48.  That's about 2:14/500 meters, and my longest piece since starting up again. 

I have a long way to go to catch up with your pace.   :)

Congratulations, that's a good row.   It puts you ahead of me on distance.   :)   5000m is the longest I've done for a long time.     I find the longer ones need a lot of effort for me just to keep going.  On the 5000m I count down every 50m (1%).  It helps pass the time.   :D.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

FlbrkMike

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:56:40 AM »
Last week I started a regular weekday after work schedule of swimming on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and rowing on Tuesday and Thursday.  On weekends it's yardwork, long walks and whatever else I can come up with.  Still planning to get back on the golf course soon.  I've been able to keep it up since last Monday (not very long yet but I'm very committed to this now).

Started out last Tuesday at 6500 m and have added 500 m each of the last two workouts.  Today I did 7500 meters in 33:04, an average of 2:12.3.  Still not particularly fast, but I'm getting better gradually.  Not sure how long I can keep adding 500 m twice a week.  Eventually I'll start mixing distance pieces with interval work --I hope.  In the meantime I alternate one minute hard with two minutes moderate pace.  Keeps me from going crazy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:57:56 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter