+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Six weeks post-op of right hip resurfacing  (Read 4492 times)

Nadia Smith

Six weeks post-op of right hip resurfacing
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Hi!  ;)

I had my right hip resurfaced with a brilliant surgeon on the NHS, six weeks ago.  In 2005 I had my left hip resurfaced by Mr Mcminn, which was and still is excellent!

It is with great pride that I can say I took my dog for a 2-mile walk on our woody lanes, using two Nordic walking poles this morning!  There is no pain, and the only warning I get is lumbar backache when I have overdone it, and stiffness in the right hip, but that dissipates after moving about.
At the moment I tend to have one walking stick with me, but keep forgetting to use it for the last week now!

When I started physiotherapy four weeks ago I was very apprehensive about the stretches, especially "knee to chest", and bending forward over knees while seated, :o as the lumbar back muscles have shortened so considerably over the years of degenerating hip joints :'(!  Doing the stretches on a daily basis has proven excellent, especially as the range of movement is improving daily too :)!  So, it's really worth persevering!  The other scary bit was daring to put my full weight on the operated side when going upstairs, and bending the operated leg and placing the "good " leg on the next step down!  Now I don't think about it, except for a little stiffness which reminds me NOT to run down the stairs!! :-\

Something I would like to share with everyone is that I follow the postural principles of Esther Gokhale, who wrote the book, and has a very straightforward/back to nature approach, called "Eight Steps to a Painfree Back"  (remember when it didn't hurt?).  It has helped enormously with the pain I suffered from a very lordotic lower spine (inward curve which makes bum and tum stick out) which occurs as a result from worn cartilage in the hip joints and then in turn affects our musculature, which will then pull our skeleton out of alignment. :o

My other discovery is that I am improving a lot faster this time than six years ago simply because I was able to train my muscles and keep as good a posture as possible prior to the operation.  Six years ago, I had been in total denial about the left hip, thinking myself too young :-* to suffer from osteo-arthritis until the left leg muscles totally atrophied (wasted), and they then took over two years to re-build their strength :P

Well, I've already written too much and bored you enough now!!

I'll go and relax in the sun 8)

Nadia
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

Lopsided

Re: Six weeks post-op of right hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
I had my right hip resurfaced with a brilliant surgeon on the NHS, six weeks ago.  In 2005 I had my left hip resurfaced by Mr Mcminn, which was and still is excellent!

So who was this brilliant surgeon? You do not even give Mr Mcminn this accolade.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Nadia Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
Of course Mr McMinn is brilliant!  I am just excited at my present progress.  The name of this surgeon is Mr Majkowski :)
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 01:00:53 PM »
Excellent post, Nadia! As a fellow bi-hippy I welcome you to the club, although you precede me by a fair amount on being a hippy. I'm glad all is going well and that the preparation helped you to recover.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Nadia Smith

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »
Thank you Hernanu! 

How are you progressing?  I notice that you had both your hips done closely one after the other?

Nadia
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:41:21 AM »
Thanks for asking, Nadia - Not as closely as some, 3 months apart. I found it to be just right for me, since both hips were in bad shape. We did the left first, as that was the worst. The interval between was good for me, since I wanted to have the first leg strong enough to support the second. Pretty intense PT ensured that, the leg was very strong by then.

I am now well on the way, still a bit to go on the right leg. Some balancing issues with it, but I am asking a bit from it. I am doing basic Tae Kwon Do stretches, and am nearing reasonable stretching to let me do workouts. The legs are pretty strong and only run into any issues on stairs, I think I may need to add the stair machine to the elliptical.

I'm staying away from heavy impact until next year, as well as soccer, basketball and heavier weights. Some of the wider leg stretches bring a bit of numbness on the thigh of the last leg, but a bit of massage releases that. My body is still getting used to things, I think. Standing for long periods and walking is pretty easy on the hips, probably worse on my feet. I've also started running a bit (not a big fan, but nice to be able to do it again).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:42:01 AM by hernanu »

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
NAdia, i know the dog is happy.  Fido must have missed his/her walk with you.  Six weeks out and you're walking the dog is impressive.  Glad to hear your first surgery went well and still is. I need to get my other hip done but I'm in no rush to go through it again. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as yours.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Nadia Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
It's true it takes courage to go through another operation, but golly it's well worth it.  The post-op discomfort is short-lived, for me anyway, and then you can only look forward to being able to function better than before!  As long as you listen to your body and the physio, and don't tax your body.  Actually it's been so taxed before ... which is mainly why I had to have the ops.  So, now I've learned to be patient as I have the rest of my life to look forward to with flexibility and suppleness ....Hopefully! ;D

Oh, by the way my dog's name is Maddy, and she's a cross Blue Merle/black labrador.  She's VERY happy to have her "mummy" back on her walks.  She had even developed a sympathetic limp!!  Which has now gone! ;)
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

Nadia Smith

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
I forgot to reply to Hernan,sorry!  Am not used to this yet!  Sounds like you're doing loads already, and that's very encouraging!

My left hip has never really been "tested" properly,as the right one started to deteriorate just as the left leg started to get stronger. So, I'm mainly concentrating on stretching gently, and using spontaneous Qi Gong, which encourages the body to move "from inside out".  It's a form of self-healing movement.  It feels wonderful when doing it, and quite the opposite from forcing the body.  I did a lot of that as a personal trainer for years and as a keep fit instructor! :'( which got me in my present situation, I guess.

As for high impact training, I think you are wise to wait, as I remember that when Mr McMinn did my left hip, his recommendations were jogging/running could be started 1 year post-op, but that at 10 months post-op it's OK to start treadmill practice before running or jogging on the road, with a good quality running shoes/trainers.  That was 6 years ago, perhaps these recommendations have changed now? :)
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:22 PM »
Very nice, I have a lot of respect for Qi Gong.

By running, I don't mean distance or anything on the road right now. On the treadmill, I've started to do some light running, to get myself ready for running on the soccer field.

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 12:10:33 AM »
Nadia, welcome Maddy to Hippie Pets for me.  I'm checking out Qi Gong on the internet now. I thought you were talking about the Chinese dish I had last week. It really made me move "from inside out" very quickly. I spent half the day on the toilet.

I had to drop that one - ohhhhhh.... let me stop.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Nadia Smith

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Very funny Hipnhop!! 

Just a little update!  I saw Mr Majkowski for my 6-week post op check-up.  He seemed very pleased with my progress, but did specify I should still take it fairly easy for the next 6 weeks and seemed a bit concerned at my 2-mile walks!  So, no salsa or Argentine tango yet for me  :'( He was impressed with the knee to chest angle, and recommended I checked with the physio to add hydrotherapy to my exercise routine now - tho' he didn't seem to think I needed it !!!  That's because of  Qi Gong I guess.

After I asked him he also told me to wait with any hard repetitive impact sports or activities until six months post op.

I handed my two walking sticks back to the hospital today -NHS property and no longer needed! :D
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

Lopsided

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
... and seemed a bit concerned at my 2-mile walks!

What is wrong with walking? In Belgium everyone was encouraged to walk, and were walking kilometers in the first week. I walked one kilometer on day two, and five on day seven.

Two miles after six weeks is not much. Much better than staying home feeling bored.

So long as you don't feel stressed, keep walking!

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »
Really good results, Nadia! Just wait, the salsa and tango is just around the corner. At 6 months (last hip done)  I went to a party and danced salsa for a straight hour. Felt great afterwards.

Nadia Smith

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »
Thanks guys!  No, I'm not stressed about the walks!  Went on another one this AM and felt great!  And really looking forward to the dancing again!  Thanks for the encouragement, both! :-*
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat