+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: FYI - oral anticoagulant approved by FDA for hip surgery  (Read 2706 times)

halfdone

FYI - oral anticoagulant approved by FDA for hip surgery
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »
http://www.jnj.com/connect/news/all/fda-approves-xarelto-rivaroxaban-tablets-to-help-prevent-deep-vein-thrombosis-in-patients-undergoing-knee-or-hip-replacement-surgery

FDA has approved a XARELTO/rivaroxaban oral anticoagulant for the prevention (prophylaxis) of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which may lead to a pulmonary embolism (PE) in people undergoing knee or hip replacement surgery.  (Good news for US patients who don't like injections!)

It is already widely used elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:18:22 PM by halfdone »

Lopsided

Re: FYI - oral anticoagulant approved by FDA for hip surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »
Would you still have to wear those awful TEDs?

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

halfdone

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:08:21 PM »
It may be "belt and braces" (or "belt and suspenders" for our US friends), but my UK protocol included TEDs for 4 weeks post op as well as in-patient use of "squeezy boots".  Given that DVT is (apparently) a huge cause of hospital re-admissions I expect there is no escape from TED torture.  Besides, anything that helps avoid a blood clot is well worth some short term leg torment.  ( Plus in the US the TEDs mean that they can add another $500 to the bill  ;) )

(fyi - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21696766 )

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
Squeezy boots! What's all that then?

I have only actually met one other hippy, apart from the other patients in Belgium, and his hospital did not supply TEDs. He is fit and strong, but he got DVT. SO I do understand the necessity for TEDs.

D.

halfdone

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
Squeezy boots! What's all that then?

Here's a pic Lop
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=huntleigh+flowtron&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11298109515622603545&sa=X&ei=guHCTYeJLML2gAep3bmEAg&ved=0CDIQ8wIwBA#
They are programmed to compress and release at regular intervals - I think they give them to those of us who are too lazy to do the ankle pumps  ;)

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »
I loved the squeezy boots. It was like an ongoing massage of the legs.

The TEDS were a pain in the behind, but along with the aspirin I took, were the price to pay to avoid those nasty blood clot issues. Besides, I got to look like Ben Franklin and embarrass the heck out of my daughters.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
I had squeezy boots (aka my puffer fish) for the first week, then TEDs for bed and Venosans for day -both knee high.  The day ones are WAY tighter than TEDs and are nearly impossible to get on.  My rehab doctor wanted me to wear them until six weeks which is when the clexane injections finished. Apparently there is something about the six week mark where the risk drops or continued use won't reduce the risk further -  I can't remember what the exact reason was...  I did what I was told to do though.  Not sure if being a bilateral makes a difference in these matters, or whether my slower recovery plan meant that because I wasn't as active I was seen in a higher risk category.  Either way, the socks aren't nice but the alternative didn't bear thinking about.  I must admit to having little breaks from them during that period :)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
I must admit to having little breaks from them during that period :)

Everyone take their TEDs off, lets their feet breath, and then thinks, 'What if I just don't put them on again quite yet.'

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »
I must admit to having little breaks from them during that period :)

Everyone take their TEDs off, lets their feet breath, and then thinks, 'What if I just don't put them on again quite yet.'

And then after a period of time inversely proportionate to their level of paranoia / good sense / level of risk adversity thinks, "What if there is a little blood clot starting to form" and then promptly gets them back on and pretends that they were on the whole time and hopes that maybe their body won't know they weren't :)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
http://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/fda-approves-xarelto-rivaroxaban-prevent-deep-vein-thrombosis-patients-undergoing-knee-hip-2747.html
This is the one I had, check my thread for description of possible side effects. I wasn't given TEDs

Lopsided

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
Gary, just tell us, please. What side effects did you get?

Did you get itchy legs and hot feet, so bad that it disturbed your sleep? (Oh, no, that's TEDs isn't it?)

halfdone

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
If I recall correctly, andybc reported headaches so he changed to another product.  I experienced some headaches, but not troubling or regular enough to have me change medication.  (Besides, for a few days post-op I was taking an occasional Tramadol, which might have contributed to or been responsible for the headaches.)

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:32:29 AM »
Headache, insomnia, appetite suppression.

JMS

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
Oral anticoagulant sounds great. I had shoot myself in the stomach with Fragmin every day.  But at least I didn't need squeezie boots or tight stockings!  Roll on widespread approval for the oral anticoagulant.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat