+-

Author Topic: Leg Kickbacks  (Read 2586 times)

Nemesis

Leg Kickbacks
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »
I started doing leg kickbacks on a machine.  In the exercise I rest my shoulders on pad with handles.  I then raise my operated leg onto a platform and perform a mule kick backwards.  It looks something as this YOUTUBE video but with a machine made for the movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vDf8pwMV0

When I first started I could only do 10lb.  I am know at 45lb. for 3 sets of 10.  Does the exercise look safe?  I am know concerned about overdoing it and a femoral head fracture.  Before the operation I was able to do over 180lb.

Lopsided

Re: Leg Kickbacks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:27:05 PM »
Nemesis, is that you in the video? You have got nice hips.

Seriously, stay out of your expensive machine gym, just do the PT either that you were given, or is recommended by the physiotherapists for the top surgeons (like Evelyn for Dr. De Smet) and do lots of walking.

Four weeks! You are not on a race.

D.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:28:27 PM by lopsided »

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
I agree with what Lopsided says. Give it a little time, you want the healing to happen without putting the extra stress just now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chris finn

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
Yup...I agree... its too soon for any weighted exercise. And that one looks totally pointless anyway. Whats it supposed to exercise ??? Hamstrings ??...do leg curls. Quads ??...do leg extentions and free squats..but not yet...give it a few weeks.  ;) :)
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Nemesis

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »
Yup...I agree... its too soon for any weighted exercise. And that one looks totally pointless anyway. Whats it supposed to exercise ??? Hamstrings ??...do leg curls. Quads ??...do leg extentions and free squats..but not yet...give it a few weeks.  ;) :)

It helps me with leg stability by strengthing the rear glute upper hamstring and the very top of thigh at full extention.

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »
Nemesis,

That is a great exercise for strengthening your glutes. Weak glutes can lead to hip instability and hence a lot of problems. The only question would be if your surgeon allows that much weight at this point. Every surgeon gives different restrictions so that is something to ask yours. You can do similar exercises with the therabands given by most Physical Therapists. I tie it around the leg of a stable chair or table and do the exercises standing...flexion, extension, abbduction, and adduction.

June

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats