+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 week check up  (Read 2125 times)

ohiotim

2 week check up
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
Just had my post op visit, got my staples out. They checked my hip X-rays, and everything looks great. Now I need to get this leg as strong as possible for my left BHR on Aug. 3rd . I cant wait to get it done.
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

Tin Soldier

Re: 2 week check up
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
Good Job!  Sounds like you are on the fast track.  I had stitches, and that looked bad, I can't imagine having staples in there.  The doc's assistant had a hard time pulling the stitches out, she said it always reminds her of chicken kebobs, because the stitches get sort of stuck to the meat.  Staples may be less sticky?

Good consistent PT will get that leg stronger.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »
I just realized how lucky I am to only have one bad hip.  I don't know how all of you can go back weeks or months later to get the second one done.

I am slightly apprehensive for my upcoming surgery.  I know the outcome will be awesome because of all the great posts of hippies that have gone before me.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
Congrats Tim! sounds like you're going on the right track. I had about the same as you, with 3 months in between. I told the PT that was my goal and she worked really hard with me and made my leg strong for the second.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
I think the human brain has a way of forgetting the or at least fuzzying memory on the bad stuff.  Might a little akin to bearthing.  I've finally gotten pretty used to the fact that no. 2 is coming and when you know that you will once again rid yourself of pain and begin anew with a better hip, it makes it worht doing it again.

Hernan - I have about 5 months in between.  My PT really worked hard with me to get the operated hip in shape.  I'm at a point now where I don't even notice the operated hip, other than ROM limitations.  I just wasn't mentally ready in 6 weeks.  However, financially, I was totally prepared to get it all done under one deductible.     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

ohiotim

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
I just realized how lucky I am to only have one bad hip.  I don't know how all of you can go back weeks or months later to get the second one done.

I am slightly apprehensive for my upcoming surgery.  I know the outcome will be awesome because of all the great posts of hippies that have gone before me.

Dan
Just wanted to tell you that with the pain and loss of quaility of life all us hippies endure, the hardest part is deciding to do it. The pain I woke up with after surgery was nothing compared to that awful pain I felt for years. I am actually excited to have my second done , because I already know that pain free feeling. Hope you will have that soon.
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
Tim you are the man. Going in again - i can't say I'm looking forward to it. I am scheduled for my second bhr in October. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They say if it gets easier the second time. I can't say that about my second wife.   
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
Congratulations on your first BHR Tim.  I had my second done four weeks after the first.  I worked very hard to get the strength built up in my left leg between surgeries so that I'd have a good leg to stand on.  I think that having my right hip done at that point actually helped my left side heal (or at least get stronger) faster, since I then had to depend on it as my "unoperated" leg.

BTW...no stiches or staples here.  I had some internal stiches that just dissolve, but the incision was closed with some super-glue type stuff and steri-strips.  Never had to go back to get anything removed.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
Tim you are the man. Going in again - i can't say I'm looking forward to it. I am scheduled for my second bhr in October. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They say if it gets easier the second time. I can't say that about my second wife.

It's not bad, hip, just close your eyes and think of England ( ;D).

Seriously, the second time around is easier in that you know what to expect and are emotionally ready, since you've seen the benefits. I prepared better the second time around, and did things like practice crutch walking with my OTHER leg, simulated getting in the tub with the other leg, all sorts of things that people send you to the loony bin for if they ever see it, but it worked for me.

I went in and asked for the same anesthesiologist, etc. since they did me right the first time. The procedure itself was the way I remembered the first time, woke up a little earlier (in the recovery room vs. my room) and was actually looking forward to the squeezy leg thingies.

When I got home, the things that were easier were that when I got clunking I didn't freak, just worked it into my salsa routine  8), other things like PT and just getting around, I knew generally what to expect and it pretty much worked that way.

The only thing that didn't go my way was that I did not work on my gait well enough and got this pain just behind the middle toe in my supporting foot. Eventually found that I had switched my gait from putting pressure on the outside of the foot (correct according to the podiatrist) to the middle of the foot (wrong according to my foot), causing pain and actually thickening the bone in that spot to compensate. That is nearly gone (still ouches every now and then) due to the podiatrist treating it and haranguing me into using good foot orthotics.

October you and I can form the two hips two ex's club then  :o.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:40:40 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM