+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proud owner of a new BHR  (Read 5291 times)

Groundhog

Proud owner of a new BHR
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
Hello everyone.
I was fitted with a BHR by Mr Ronan Traecy last Thursday (July 7th) at Birmingham Royal Orthopaedic. Consequently I am sat at home bored and have found this site.
So far the experience has been excellent. Mr Traecy's team are world famous of course and the Royal made my stay as comfortable and pleasant as is possible under the circumstances.
I had a few issues with tramadol making me constipated and depressed but now, 6 days in I only use it at night and am quite comfortable through the day with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I am now cheerful and regular!
My only problem is the lack of information I was given on discharge. I was told that all the precautions that I would have to follow had I had a total do not apply to me but is there really no danger of dislocation?
I have no idea when I can expect to be able to drive or go back to work. All I know is that Mr Traecy said I should be able to ski this winter but not perhaps at Christmas. I will leave it till early spring!
Any advise would be appreciated.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Proud owner of a new BHR
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »
Congratulations on your new BHR.  Most people have problems with the meds.  Many take stool softners.

The normal precautions are to take it easy and listen to your body.  It is best not to cross your legs and if you sleep on your side - put a little pillow between your legs.  A lot depends on the surgical approach that is used.  If you just be cautious and don't do a lot of bending, sititng on the floor, crossing your legs etc., you should be OK.  He might have precautions listed on his website.  The large ball components of the BHR do mean that it is almost difficult to dislocate it after you have healed.  Most surgeons want you to be careful for about 6 weeks.  The muscles and tissue around the hip are very weak - so it is best to best to be cautious.  Some people drive quickly if they have an automatic car and have their left leg done.  Then no many problems with the right leg.  If you had your right done - you need to wait until you can lift your foot quickly to go from the brake to the gas pedal.

It takes about 6 months to heal to the point of doing most normal activities, but a full year for a complete heal.  Most don't want you to run until about a year out.

Don't push too much early.  If you push, you will end up with swelling and need to ice, raise your leg and take it easy.  If you are using one crutch, don't stop until you don't limp.  That was my advice from Dr. De Smet.  I used one crutch on the opposite side of the operated leg for about 3 weeks.

So much is common sense and taking it easy for a few weeks.  Walking is good, but remember that you have to walk back for the trip. People get out and keep walking, then realize they don't have the energy to get back!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
Attached below are pictures of the surgeon and the device he uses to implant.

(Hippies from parts of the world other than England might not understand this.)

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Groundhog

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:41:50 AM »
HA HA! Yes thats him! My leg does feel as though that device has been in there.
Thanks for the advise Pat. I would like to try sleeping on my side but wasn't sure if it was ok.
It is my right side so will be very careful about driving (I have a stick shift).
Probably try out on an empty car park.

Groundhog

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:30:07 AM »
Traecy?? How did that happen. Of course its Treacy. I blame the drugs.  :-\

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »
Pictured below are the surgeon's private clinic-resort, transport to the clinic with extended leg room, and the device implant tool in action.

Groundhog

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:40:53 AM »
Stop making me laugh so much! It hurts! Just looking at that last pic makes me wince.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »
Lop - Is this some BBC reference? 

Groundhog - where are you from?  I thought cars in the UK had the stick on the left side of the driver?  BTW - good job with the new hip.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 02:06:12 AM »
Congrats on the new hip!

How bad were you before and how do you feel now?  You will continue to get better!

It's hard the first few weeks because your leg is so weak and still sore, but it improves quickly.  By about 4-6 weeks you should be walking quite a bit without q cane or anything....

I'm at about 5 months post op and I just got home from a good swim....I am able to kick hard with my operated leg...it feels as good as my normal hip I. The water.

I still get some start up stiffness when I get up after sitting...but that's about it.

Is your device a cemented BHR or an uncemented one?
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Groundhog

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »
Tin soldier; Google "Thunderbirds"
Yes in the UK we sit on the right side of the car. The stick is on our left. The problem is I need to go from the gas pedal to the brake with my operated leg. Not sure if I can do this yet. Driving in the UK is like a warzone. you need to react fast!

23109; Before the op I could only walk about 1/2 mile with a stick and in some pain. I indulge in mountain sports and caving so had to give most of it up. Oddly I could still cave ok. You can very often take your weight on your arms in a cave.The walk to/from the entrance was the hard bit.
Now 10 days post op I am getting better every day and can definately see the light at the end of the tunnel  :)
I am 99% sure Mr Treacy does not use cement.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 07:10:35 AM »
Congrats on the new hip! Sounds like you're doing well, check the site for any questions you have, Pat's done us all a great service here.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »
"I am 99% sure Mr Treacy does not use cement."
All BHR's are hybrid fixation mate, cemented on the femoral side. When I asked mr treacy about cementless he said he felt that its looking to fix a problem that doesn't really exist. He said the most crucial factor is correct instalation of the device
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
Thanks GH

BTW - I drove from Heathrow to Inverness and back, in 1992, and I felt like that was a warzone then.

I think Gross is one of the very few that do the uncemented femoral component.  There is certainly some healthy discussion here about the subject.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Lopsided

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 03:14:01 AM »
This video features the surgeon working under pressure, his staff, high tech operating theatre, patients, and a resurfacing device (in green) in the final stages of failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzl_lnQIrbE

Groundhog

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 06:56:58 AM »
Thanks Danny more info I didn't have. I only spent about 2 minutes talking to Mr Treacy. I was a bit disappointed at the lack of info I was given. I was just relieved to be getting the procedure I wanted by my surgeon of choice.

Groundhog

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 07:12:46 AM »
Great vid lopsided thanks.

Groundhog

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 05:48:55 AM »
Time for an update.
I am now 16 days post op and I can't believe how quickly I am progressing. Every day I see an improvement. I can walk happily on 1 crutch, but still use 2 for any distance over 10 meters. While sitting or lying in bed I can fool myself that I am completely normal. I can lift my operated leg in and out of bed easily. Getting up and down from chairs is also easy.
I was initially quite shocked at the toll the op had taken on my body. I was expecting pain in the operation site. This is the only part of my leg that doesn't hurt! My thigh is still stiff and sore and I have some pain in my groin. This is diminishing daily though. When walking I am unaware of the new joint which must be good sign. I still tire easily and have to lay down in a dark room after any mild excertion.
My leg is very weak and obviously needs a lot of work to bring it back up to normal.
I am almost off pain relief. Just the odd paracetamol and ibuprofen in the day and 1 tramadol at night. These run out soon and I may use cocodamol instead.
I can drive my car! Freedom at last. I was apprehensive at first but as soon as I got behind the wheel I found I had no problem. When I was first told I would need a new hip a couple of years ago they said I would  not be able to even get in a car for 6 weeks never mind drive. That was for a THR of course.
My clips are out and the incision is clean with no sign of infection.
My appetite is good and my bodily functions have returned to normal.
A very positive outcome so far and I am so glad I held out for a BHR.
Good luck to everyone else recovering and thanks again for all the help I have got from this site.

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »
Sounds great! You're still early and sounds like progressing well. Do you have physical therapy planned?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

kfmcmahon

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Time for an update.
I am now 16 days post op and I can't believe how quickly I am progressing. Every day I see an improvement. I can walk happily on 1 crutch, but still use 2 for any distance over 10 meters. While sitting or lying in bed I can fool myself that I am completely normal. I can lift my operated leg in and out of bed easily. Getting up and down from chairs is also easy.
I was initially quite shocked at the toll the op had taken on my body. I was expecting pain in the operation site. This is the only part of my leg that doesn't hurt! My thigh is still stiff and sore and I have some pain in my groin. This is diminishing daily though. When walking I am unaware of the new joint which must be good sign. I still tire easily and have to lay down in a dark room after any mild excertion.
My leg is very weak and obviously needs a lot of work to bring it back up to normal.
I am almost off pain relief. Just the odd paracetamol and ibuprofen in the day and 1 tramadol at night. These run out soon and I may use cocodamol instead.
I can drive my car! Freedom at last. I was apprehensive at first but as soon as I got behind the wheel I found I had no problem. When I was first told I would need a new hip a couple of years ago they said I would  not be able to even get in a car for 6 weeks never mind drive. That was for a THR of course.
My clips are out and the incision is clean with no sign of infection.
My appetite is good and my bodily functions have returned to normal.
A very positive outcome so far and I am so glad I held out for a BHR.
Good luck to everyone else recovering and thanks again for all the help I have got from this site.

...sounds very similar to my story..I am 9 days out and feel really great!  16 days and driving--wow, you are so lucky...I had my right hip done, so 6 weeks for me. Just finished 30 minutes spin on stationary bike and 45 min PT...wiped out now!  time for food and a nap...I am also off my Lortab...only on celebrex !!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »
You are all so inspirational! 

Nine days from now I will be joining you in hippy land.  A bit apprehensive but excited.  I know i have chosen one of the best surgeons using the one of the best prosthesis.  And I am in good shape.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz