+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flying to Columbia on Sunday for a Dr. Gross Bi-Lat  (Read 3786 times)

got2newhips

Flying to Columbia on Sunday for a Dr. Gross Bi-Lat
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
Hello all,
I've been lurking around the site for several years to learn about resurfacing docs and experiences.  After waiting "longer than you should have" according to Dr. Gross and Lee Webb, I'm off to SC for bi-lateral surgery this coming Monday and Wednesday.  After meeting Dr. Gross and staff this week, I'm even more confident in choosing the hassle of traveling from Texas for the procedures over local options. While everyone that I tell about this thinks I'm nuts, the fact that he's done around 3000 vs less than 300 for the most experienced local guy made it an easy decision.

While I'm starting to work up a little anxiety, most of it is centerend on not knowing how hard it will be to get around on two new hips during travel home and for the first week or so after.  That said, I'm more than ready to get my life back, and have to say that my family, friends and co-workers seem nearly as excited as I am.  It will be great to get back to coaching my kids sports teams and not opting out of fun family outings because it hurt too bad to walk around.

Many thanks to Pat and others who have showed their passion and support on this site; it's made a big difference in getting comfortable with the decision to move forward.  This is a great, sharing community, and I will wear my sufacehippy shirt with pride!!  I'll do my best to post my experience as things progress next week. Can't wait to git 'er done!!!

Best,
Richard
LH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/25/2011
RH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/27/2011

hernanu

Re: Flying to Columbia on Sunday for a Dr. Gross Bi-Lat
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »
Good luck and welcome as a poster, Richard! Sounds like you're going to an excellent surgeon, keep the posts up and let us know how it goes.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

SteveT

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »
T-shirt?  Is there a surface hippy t-shirt?

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »
Richard-

Best wishes on your surgery.  I will be joining you on August 1st but with only one new hip.

@Steve - I have been looking for the same thing.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

KirkM

• 50 is the new 49...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »
Resurfacing merchandise:

Note by Pat:    These are my designs, not someone elses.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/surfacehippystore.php

Thanks a lot.

Pat
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:20:00 PM by Pat Walter »
LBHR  Dr. Su   6/11/2011

einreb

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
I got a resurfacing t-shirt at my pre-op appointment with Dr Gross.  I also got a wallet card of my post op x-ray and a 'get well' card signed by several hospital staff a few weeks after getting back. Simple things, but nice.

I remember very clearly in my day two 'group' PT session meeting the 'bilats' and being very aware of how well they were doing and how excited they were to be on the other side.  You are in good hands.

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
Good Luck Richard.  Dr. Gross is one of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the US.

I look forward to reading about your recovery and activity this fall.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
Richard - you will be several weeks into recovery before I go in for No. 2 and as a bi-lateral-to-be, I'm jealous.  I think I spread mine out a little too far and now I wish I did the double in one event.  Oh well. 

Also, please post updates, one time event bi-laterals are not super common and I think folks here really like to hear how things go with that.  It may be akin to a mom having a singleton, vs a mom having twins.  Nursing one hip is different than nursing two hips, right?

Let us know if you have any questions.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »
Richard, you couldn't have picked a better team than Dr. Gross and Lee Webb!  The Providence Hospital is wonderful - I'm sure you'll do great!

I did not get a T-shirt at my pre-op appointment, though!  If you get one, please let me know so I can lodge a complaint!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

got2newhips

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
Hello all, thanks for your kind wishes!  Anniee, Dan and Steve, I got mine at my pre-op appointment with Dr. Gross on Tuesday.  Nurse Nancy gave it to me, so maybe she has the stash.... ;)  Long day at work today wrapping up and handing over projects, now doing some laundry so we can pack tomorrow for our trip to SC on Sunday.  Just a couple of days to go; not really looking forward to the next couple of weeks, but with the pain I've been in for some time, can easily look past that short bit to get back to life again!

I've gotten some great tips and feedback from members here, keep it coming; including any surprises you experienced (good and not so good).  I'm sure doing both hips in the same week will be tough, but mine are so bad I literally don't have a good leg to stand on, so figured I'd just git 'er done (plus, that kind of the way I work; not a ton of patience  ;D). 

Hummer

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 02:59:42 AM »
Good luck Richard.  Today I'm two weeks post op and so glad I did it.......you will feel the same.
All the best!
LBHR July 9, 2011 / Dr. Marwin

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »
Hi Richard,
I can say "Been there, done that". Best of everything to you on your upcoming surgeries. I am also a Gross bi-lat. January 10 and 12 this year. You will not regret getting them done that way. It seems like a long ordeal but time will go fast. You will be able to get around on two crutches very well. I dropped one crutch at two weeks and never looked back. At 3 1/2 weeks I was totally free of a crutch or a cane. You picked one of the best surgeons in the world and Providence Hospital is fantastic. Beautiful building and believe it or not, excellent food. Amazing staff.

Yes, some people will think you are nuts, I had my share of negative nay-sayers. These people can't even spell hip resurfacing, yet they act like they know more than me. Be patient, in time you will show them how wrong they are. When I told my super at work I would be off about two months, he laughed and said "Yeah, right". The look on there faces when I walked in for a visit at work at 6 weeks was priceless. No crutches or cane and a very slight, almost unnoticeable limp. At 6 months there is absolutely no sign I had surgery. My co workers, friends and family can't believe it. It's because of Dr. Gross and his techniques and experience.

Oh, by the way, I traveled from central Pennsylvania to South Carolina and others on this forum traveled a lot farther...right, Sean, from Southern California? Most of Gross's patients are from out of state.

I kind of envy you because Dr. Gross, Lee, Nancy are really great people to be around. When I went back for my 6 week visit, I really looked forward to seeing them again. You'll see what I mean.

At least you won't have to deal with a snow storm in Columbia. That's right, there was a 6 inch snow storm that went through Columbia, S.C. on Monday morning, January 10 this year. It was unreal. Heavy snow in South Carolina?!! And of all days! My wife and I drove through it to go to the hospital. I can still see the snow blowing hard through the Palmetto trees.

Keep a positive attitude and you will do fine.  8)

Steve (newdog)
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »
Best wishes to you for your surgery and a speedy rehabilitation.  Sounds like you will be up and about before you know it!  I can't wait to hear your progress updates :) 
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

got2newhips

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
Thanks newdog, very encouraging!  I'm in Columbia now wrapping up loose ends before surgery #1 first thing tomorrow morning.  We almost didn't make it thanks to a lame curbside luggage guy who was so slow he caused us to miss the "cutoff" for checking bags (even though we were there 15 minutes early.  Had to get a supervisor and scramble as they held the plane.  NOT A GOOD START.  Kind of a bad omen, but it is what it is.....

Will be glad to get it done early, but since I'm not a morning person, it's still be tough to get there in the dark (assuming I don't have a last minute anxiety attack and flop around all night.....;)  Thanks all for the encouragement, will report in as I can.

Richard

Anniee

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 06:40:07 PM »
Richard, I don't think the air travel stuff is a bad omen, it's just the way things are these days.  I never seem to be able to fly anywhere without something not going right - if it's not a late flight, it's lost luggage or both.

I have no doubt that your surgery will go without a hitch, and you'll be very glad you did it (perhaps not immediately afterwards, but after a couple of weeks)!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »
Good luck Richard! Don't worry about omens, the only one that counted for me was waking up with the pain gone. Good luck and let us know how it went and how you feel.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »
Best wishes Richard.

I am getting excited for my surgery.  One week to go.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

23109VC

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 07:57:57 PM »
Good luck!

You will feel so great when the new hips are in.  I had my left hip done by Dr. Gross in feb.  Aside from start up soreness, I'm doing really well

It's wonderful to tie my own shoe, and not grimace in pain when I go up stairs.

I'm one month from the six month mark and I'm anxious to start running!  I know I could do it now, but I'm following the rules and waiting until I hit the six month mark.

You wll be there soon enough.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:58:35 PM by 23109VC »
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

bri

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »
I am also thinking about getting both done at the same time. How did it go for you?How was your pain, recovery ect?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat