+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Went to Ortho. Surgeon today for discomfort/pain.....  (Read 9892 times)

takilasunrise

Went to Ortho. Surgeon today for discomfort/pain.....
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced in Jan. 2008.  I have been in "heaven" since I healed up from my surgery, no pain or problems whatsoever.  About 3 weeks ago, after a heavy dose of going up and down stairs helping my daughter move (but I did not move any furniture or heavy objects, only boxes, light stuff), something changed.  I have not fallen or anything else that would have caused any issues, though. 

It started out feeling what I would describe what the pain from a "charlie horse" feels like afterwards in the deep part of my "cheek".  When I walk it doesn't hurt in my hip like it did pre-surgery, but all the surrounding area started hurting, similar to the pain I used to suffer before the surgery.  I also feel pressure and clunking and clicking 80% of the time I move or shift.  So, my doctor (the one that did the surgery) took x-rays and said the device looks perfect, nothing is wrong with it.  He took another x-ray of my lower back and said the pain I'm feeling is probably from the arthritis I have between two of my lumbar discs and probably irritated it when I did all the moving (lifting and climbing stairs).

Hmmm, for some reason, this is not sitting right with me.  I tried to tell him several times that I've had lower back problems in the past and yes, sometimes the pain would shoot down my leg, but not like this.  This is very isolated in the areas around my hip.  And, he said he doesn't know why there's more clicking going on, but he's says my hip is fine. 

I wish I would have thought about asking him when I was there, but how can they tell by a still x-ray that something isn't loose and moving around when I move and maybe irritating the surrounding areas? 

Anyone else experience this?  Thanks............
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:46:42 PM by takilasunrise »

daylily

Re: Went to Ortho. Surgeon today for discomfort/pain.....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
Hi marni,

I've just had problems with LH resurface.
I would ask you surgeon for ultrasound on your hip. My consultant has asked for BOTH of my hips to have an ultrasound to check for damage from metal ions in the bloodstream.

Different problem ( mine has been put in at an unacceptable angle and is rubbing together) but until you get a soft tissue test done then surely there cannot be a complete diagnosis.

I have been complaining of pain for over 3 years now and all that was done were x-rays which have not been interpreted properly by the GP.

Ultrasound/ MRI/ CT are all tests that could be done.
Good luck

takilasunrise

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
Well, I went and got a second opinion.  The ortho. surgeon that did my hip resurfacing put the cup in at the wrong angle, so now I haved edge-loading going on, plus he thinks I might have the recalled device installed.  Nice...........now I have to get a full hip replacement. 

:(  >:(  :(

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
plus he thinks I might have the recalled device installed

No, he does not think that. He knows very well what device you have got.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
Well, I went and got a second opinion.  The ortho. surgeon that did my hip resurfacing put the cup in at the wrong angle, so now I haved edge-loading going on, plus he thinks I might have the recalled device installed.  Nice...........now I have to get a full hip replacement. 

:(  >:(  :(

Sorry to hear that, Marni - would it help if you sent your X rays to some of the doctors on here? They can give you some idea of how much of an angle it was installed at and other information. Bummer - have you had your metal levels checked also?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »
This was a good example of why people should always seek out 2nd opinions.

If what the doctor says does not make sense, find someone else.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

takilasunrise

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »
The doctor I saw today (he did NOT perform the surgery) didn't have any records from my surgery so he wasn't sure which device was installed but he knew it wasn't a Birmingham, he suspected it's the recalled one, though.  I was really put off by the surgeon's (that did do my resurfacing) attitude when I went and saw him.  He was rather arrogant and said there is nothing wrong with it!  The ortho. surgeon I saw today said yeah, he didn't want to admit he put it in at the wrong angle.  And when I told him I click all the time, the surgey surgeon said and I quote "I don't know why it's doing that"!  The doctor I saw today, and his PA, both have heard many patients complain about his attitude.  He said, well, I don't want to throw stones, so he was trying not to voice his opinion.  I said it's ok...I feel liking throwing some stones at him right now!   ;D

The doctor said today if he had blood work done up on me, he could guarantee that there would raised metal levels!  He showed me on my x-rays the angle mine was put in (with a fancy computer program) compared to one he just did yesterday.  Mine is off quite a bit!    :-\   He said he knew what was wrong with me before he even came in and saw me.  He said he looked at the x-ray and said I knew what symptoms you were going to say that you had before I even talked to you!

He said he'd personally would have tried to talk me out of hip resurfacing if he had seen me and explained some of the reasons why (women are smaller boned; women are more prone to pseudotumors).  Then he assured me that full hip replacements are getting better all the time with new technology, etc. 

All I know is I sure wasn't expecting to have to go through this again...at last not 4 years later!
 :( 

And the full hip replacement still scares me..........

takilasunrise

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
Daylily....sounds like we both are having the same problem!  But I've only been experiencing the discomfort and clicking for around 3 months. 

I will probably have the "revision" done this January.  Pretty ironic since I had my resurfacing done in January 2008 (after the holidays and the birth of my grandson in Dec. 2007). 

What sucks is that I was completely pain free up until a few months ago.  It was awesome!  Now, I have to start all over again....but at least I know what to expect and will be prepared. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:46:10 PM by takilasunrise »

daylily

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »
Hi takilasunrise,

Almost the same story. I have just had a THR just over 4 years after the re-surface.
I have had a few x-rays over the years and all Doc'd have said the re-surface was ok.
Saw my new surgeon in May/June and went straight on the list for THR. My surgeon said the re-surface was at 'a steep angle', it was also too big for my smallish frame. He also found when he operated that the 'cup' was loose and the outside rim of it had been rubbing into my actual hip bone. The result was he had to do a bone graft before he could fit the THR (ceramic this time).

So far, 2 weeks after the surgery, I am fine, no pain at all in the hip. That deep grinding bone pain has gone and I am very optimistic for the future of my new hip. Did have a nasty fall 2 days ago but managed to twist on the way down so landed on my good side, luckity it doesn't seem to have damaged the new hip.

I too was pertrified about having the THR but it feels soooo much better it was worth it.

Hope everything goes OK for you and try not to be too anxious about the THR
xx

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
Marni,

So sorry to hear, but in the end you will be fine and ready to roll.

Small boned women are more of a challenge, there are few out of the many hip surgeons that are really good at doing small boned women.  Dr. Bose in India does mostly smaller Indian women with crazy success.  Here in this country, Dr. Gross and Dr. Su have really great numbers with smaller women.  I know 2 smaller boned women who went to Dr. Gross and are doing fine.

In your case though I think it was misplacement that hurt your success and that can happen to anybody, big and small.   Once the alignment is off you're very likely to present with the symptoms that you have and you'll usually end up with a revision.

Large ball THRs are not the end of the world, you may have a few restrictions but I think you'll do well.

What is really upsetting is that you're original doctor was not standup enough to admit he screwed up.

Chuck

He said he'd personally would have tried to talk me out of hip resurfacing if he had seen me and explained some of the reasons why (women are smaller boned; women are more prone to pseudotumors).  Then he assured me that full hip replacements are getting better all the time with new technology, etc. 

All I know is I sure wasn't expecting to have to go through this again...at last not 4 years later!
 :( 

And the full hip replacement still scares me..........
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 01:04:51 AM »
Hello Marni,

Sorry to hear about your experience, but at least now you know. On another recent thread here, it was discussed that Dr Pritchett in Seattle, and possibly Mr McMinn, are using a cup with a poly liner to revise resurfacings like yours. If it would work in your case, it would allow you to retain the resurfacing head on the femur. At this point, I understand that they are only suggesting this option for heads of 46 or under, and it is a very new option without any long history.  I certainly could understand if you want to have a THR  and be done with it; but if you want to keep the resurfacing, and go to an option that is not MOM, you might contact one of these surgeons. My understanding is that the recall had to do with the acetabular cup, so the resurfacing on the femur might be fine.
I am attaching a link to articles by Dr Pritchett. The one on Women and the one on Metallosis both discuss some options.
http://www.pritchettorthopedics.com/articles.php
Also, Dr Gross has done a lot of cup revisions, but you would need to check with him about your case.
Best of luck with all of this,
John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats