+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie Wants Feedback  (Read 5113 times)

gibbcutter

Newbie Wants Feedback
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
Got resurfaced hip on Tuesday July 5th.  Went back to work exactly 2 weeks after surgery.  Put in 5 hour days working at a desk.  Everything seems to be going okay.  Biggest problem is swelling of thigh.  Above the knee I can see some discoloration.  I have a significant amount of knee discomfort.  Hip hurts but is slowly getting better.  When I move the hip, sometimes I feel like rubberbands are snapping inside.

Feedback appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:59:09 AM by gibbcutter »

Luann

Re: Newbie Wants Feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Hi GC,
 I am 13 months out from my HR. Personally, I think you are returning to work too soon. I took 6 weeks off, which might be more on the extreme side, but I think I would have liked at least a month; both for my physical as well as mental state.
 Yes, I had a ton of swelling, even at 2 weeks. My leg was at least TWICE the size as my other (and purple!). I kept it elevated most of the time, with plenty of ice packs. Are you able to do this at work? It is very important.
 As far as the snapping... I remember when I did one particular PT exercise that involved lying on the floor, and sliding my operated leg outward then inward (back beside my other leg) while in a straight position, it would feel like one of my muscles was "catching" on something. I told my Dr and he said it was nothing to worry about. Have you consulted your Dr about your "snapping"?
 Eventually, it all went away. Now I occasionally have the "thunking and clunking" noise/sensation( not painful) discussed here, but no snapping or catching any more. Overall, I am doing great and am very happy I had it done.
 I think you are probably worried a little too much for the amount of time that has passed since your surgery. It took me many months to heal, and I am still in the process.
 Be patient, talk to your Dr about your concerns, do not do too much too soon. Good Luck, Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

gibbcutter

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 03:58:24 AM »
My surgeon said if I felt up to it, I could go back to work.  I know it seems that I am pushing the limits but actually I felt it was good to get out of the house. 

I will make more of an effort to raise the leg.  Thanks for the feedback.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »
A few suggestions:

• Ice as much as possible. That will help with the swelling, any discomfort in the hip and overall recovery. I was icing pretty much continuously at 2-3 weeks.
  • Keep up with your exercises. You need to build up the muscles that were traumatized during the procedure
  • Walk. One thing that I found when I went back to a desk job is how much I had to concentrate to make sure I didn't just sit there. It's important to get your walking in to make sure your muscles can support your healing
  • Find time to rest. Healing requires rest; sounds simplistic, but there is no substitute.

Remember that you just had major surgery and need to support the healing. The lessening of activity that was forced on us before the surgery needs to be reversed to you can get back to life the way you want it. So do more but rest  ::) .

In any case, things will be good in the end, how do you feel? The bruising goes away, the clunking and all is due to the muscles not being strong enough yet; they will be.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

gibbcutter

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:01:28 AM »
I am feeling pretty good.  I think I was pushing to hard during the first week.  I am a former wrestler and have been conditioned to push to the extreme limits.  Based upon many posts on this forum, I have cut back.  I do get tired and like many, have trouble sleeping.  I haven't hit three weeks yet so like I have been told, I need to be patient.

I am increasing the amount of elevation & ice time.

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »
  • Ice
  • PT
  • Walking
  • Rest
and
  • Sense of Humour

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
Your postsurgery condition is pretty much the same as mine was.  My thigh --- from the knee to almost the waist --- looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to it; the bruising/discoloration took weeks to fade.  My swelling also took several weeks to subside.  Elevating the leg above the heart may help; I would lie on my back and put pillows under the calf to get my knee above my heart for 20-30 minutes several times a day.  I, too, had discomfort in my knee for several weeks, probably because of standing and walking in a different manner; but that went away.

Hang in there!
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:39:15 PM »
Hi gibcutter,
I had both hips done, four weeks apart.  I also have a job that has me at at desk 90% of the time, and I'm set up to work from home if I need to.  Both surgeries were on a Friday morning and I was working a few hours from home by the following Friday.  I was working full itme at the office on the following Monday (10 days post surgery).  I'm lucky in that my wife works in the same office so I didn't have to drive, and I did take it pretty easy for a week or so - I think I went home early a time or two.

Everybody is different.  I felt like I needed to get back to work and the people in my office were supportive.  Plus with two surgeries I didn't want to burn all of the vacation I had saved up.

That being said, I had some swelling and discoloration behind my knee for a week or so.  My IP bands were very sore for a couple of weeks.  Bluedevilsadvocate mentioned a baseball bat.  I was telling people that it felt like somebody had kicked me really hard on the side of my thigh about a dozen times.  I also had the rubber band clunking feeling, and still do occasionally though it seems like a lot less.  I'm not sure if it really goes away or if you just get used to it.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:42:35 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

halfdone

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
When I move the hip, sometimes I feel like rubberbands are snapping inside.
If this just happened once or twice, perhaps it could it be internal sutures moving.  I had a couple of sensations like this around the wound area.

I agree with everyone who has said "Don't overdo it!"  Good luck with your recovery.

hipnhop

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »
I had that snapping feeling for a few months after surgery. My doc said it was just tendons moving over bone.  I'm at the 4 month mark and it happens very infrequently.  It is nothing serious, just mention it to your doc.

I def think you went back to work too soon. For me, sitting was more uncomfortable than walking. 5 hours seems like a little too much (just my opinion). 

I still sit with a foam pillow under my work chair.  Long drives over 2 hours kill me.  I have less discomfort walking.

Keep up the great recovery

HipnHop

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

gibbcutter

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:29:39 AM »
HipnHop

You are not alone in thinking I went back to work too soon.  I am at the 3 week post op mark now and am growing stronger each day.  I guess everyone is different but I think my returning to work at 2 weeks was good for my recovery.  I only worked 3 days in week 1.  I was very tired on Friday, when I took the day off.  This week I will put in 4 days and next week go 5. 

I would not encourage anyone to follow my schedule.  We are all different.

Groundhog

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:45 AM »
Hi Gibbcutter.
I am very interested in your story as I had my BHR 2 days after you on the 7th. Our experiences sound very similar. I too was a little alarmed at the swelling and discolouration but was reassured that this was normal. I also returned to work at 2 weeks but part time. As I have my own business this was not a matter of choice. So far so good though. As you said I soon get tired but this is getting better and I can do more each day. I'm going to have a few days off again now and relax by the sea.
Personally I find quite long walks (1 mile now and getting longer) followed by long rests works best for me. I am happy on 1 crutch and have managed a few steps without any. I will follow advice though and keep 1 crutch till I can walk without a limp.
I too have a lot of thigh muscle pain (but no "snapping") but almost none in my hip apart from the occasional dull ache. I am almost unaware that I have a new hip.
Good luck and keep us up to date with your recovery.

gibbcutter

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »
Groundhog,
I guess we are lone warriors.  I am a high school principal and there is so much work that needs to be done in the summer.  Although I had the days (lots of them), the buck stops with me and like you, it really was not much of a choice to get back to work.

I have been doing PT which includes basic excercises of moving the hip.  Although I can walk without the cane, I have a slight limp and my PT says I should use the cane until I have a normal gait.  I also have been doing the excercise bike and each day increase the minutes.  I am now up to 8 minutes.  I am impressed that you are now walking a mile.  Starting today, I am going to put walking into my regime.  Obviously I am walking.  I am not walking to walk, just walking to get around.

Biggest thing is fatigue.  I get stronger each day but when I get home, and sit in my recliner, I quickly fall asleep.  Each day though, that time gets later and later.

I think the final phase is increasing range of motion.  Like everything else, I will start slowly.  The key thing is slow static stretching.

I really haven't had any setbacks.  Although it sounds like I have done a lot physically, I am going slow and if it hurts, I don't do it.  I think I have an advantage because not only was I a competive athlete in college and beyond, my college major was physical education.   My training there has helped me understand the science behind my rehabilitation.

Finally, the pain in the thigh and knee is almost gone.  I increased the amount of ice and elevation time and I think that has made a big difference.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Nadia Smith

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 12:57:16 PM »
Just a little word to all of you tough guys, I hardly had any bruising, just slightly around the cut which disappeared within a fortnight.  It was due to taking homeopathic Arnica and Rhus Tox. pillules.  It was after Mr McMinn's surgery that the nurses gave them to me, so I took them again this time.

Also the left leg was twice the size to the right one after the 2005 cut, which is smaller and more horizontal than the one I have now which is vertical and just half an inch longer than the left side.  So, perhaps it depends on the incision that our legs swell up more or less?

Walking and gentle stretches, and keeping leg raised when you need a rest helps me.  Every day it gets better and better!

Happy recovery! :-*
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

Alan B

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
Got resurfaced hip on Tuesday July 5th.  Went back to work exactly 2 weeks after surgery.  Put in 5 hour days working at a desk.  Everything seems to be going okay.  Biggest problem is swelling of thigh.  Above the knee I can see some discoloration.  I have a significant amount of knee discomfort.  Hip hurts but is slowly getting better.  When I move the hip, sometimes I feel like rubberbands are snapping inside.

Feedback appreciated.

I was re-surfaced on July 20th. I also had swelling in my thigh and knee followed by my foot.  I was using a machine which promoted circulation while cooling the hip/thigh.  I experienced tightening of the knee when flexing the knee.  However, laying on my back and flexing my knee up and extending my foot toward my butt(sliding) proved to be a good exercise to release some of the tension in my knee.  I hope this helps.

swat444

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 07:54:50 AM »
Hi!  I was resurfaced July 22 and overall I am doing okay, but I have this horrible pain in my knee, it feels like water on the knee, it is keeping me from being able to sleep!  I ice it, wear a knee support and elevate it but nothing seems to work!  It is also keeping me from doing my pt because many of the exercises are way to painful in the knee!  Does anyone else seem to have this problem?

gibbcutter

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 08:55:20 AM »
swatt44

I also have pain in the knee.  What has happened is that the inflammation from the hip goes down the leg. The area above my knee was actually discolored.  I don't think mine was a bad as yours.  What has helped me is elevating the leg and ice.  I mostly ice at the incision site.

I am pretty sure that your issue is pretty normal and will go away.  The PT is critically important so you may want to take pain meds to assist you.  Talk to your surgeon...that's always best.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:18:38 AM by gibbcutter »

swat444

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »
thank you for the advice.  It seems to be worse in the evening, so I am going to try and elevate it more during the day and use more ice.  Any good stretches?

gibbcutter

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »
thank you for the advice.  It seems to be worse in the evening, so I am going to try and elevate it more during the day and use more ice.  Any good stretches?

I also find it more difficult at night. 

One stretch that I find helpful is lying on the back and bring the knee of my good hip to your chest.  Use your hands to pull the knee as far as you comfortably can.  With the resurfaced hip leg, keep it straight and try and bring the back of the knee to the floor.  This will stretch your hip flexors.  DO NOT repeat this with the other leg.

I also sit on the floor and very slowly try to touch my toes.  This will stretch your lower back and hamstrings.

Make sure that you follow the motto, "If it hurts, don't do it."

gibbcutter

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
swatt44

One more thing, you are very early in the healing process.  It seems that week 7 could be the beginning of the end of the discomfort.  Be patient and follow your surgeon's orders.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear