+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mitch Per Mini-Hip Post resurfacing?  (Read 2489 times)

Jeremy76761

Mitch Per Mini-Hip Post resurfacing?
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »
Of course there's no reason to think that hip resurfacings won't last a lifetime. But never to leave a stone unturned I contacted one of the major Mini-Hip surgeons, Richard Field about the Mitch Per mini-hip. Pat posted information about this mini-hip on surface hippy. 

This device has only been used for a couple years, but Dr. Field indicated that on 2 occasions a HR in need of revision has successfully been converted to the Mitch Per, once by himself with a rugby player and once by a friend of his who did the procedure first. The Mitch Per, according to him, has virtually no limitations as with the HR. I asked him whether that means that one can run with the Mitch Per and haven't heard back from him yet.

The significance of this might be that potentially one could continue high impact sports after HR even with current technology. Of course this is preliminary. Interestingly the surgery leaves a portion of the femoral head intact much like a HR.

http://www.hipandkneesurgeon.co.uk/Mini-Hip-replacement.asp

Just thought the success of these revisions might be useful information to pass along for all you runners out there. Also wondering if anyone had ideas about this option as a way of potentially extending their lives of impact sport should the HR ever require revision? (and of course it may not).

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:08:28 AM by Jeremy76761 »

Lopsided

Re: Mitch Per Mini-Hip Post resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »
I asked him whether that means that one can run with the Mitch Per and haven't heard back from him yet.

I also contacted that surgeon, and was told that the mitch per device is better than resurfacing. But I got the complete run around from the surgeons and his assistants. If you want to know anything, you have to book an appointment and pay for a consultation.

Do yourself a favour and use one of the well known surgeons often mentioned on this site, and also use one of the well known devices with a track record. Much better than an aloof surgeon with a secret device that sees you as fodder willing to waste money on mere questions.

Do I sound annoyed? Pat, please do not expurgate this message!

Good thing I contacted Dr. De Smet and got treated as a human being. I do believe you have a better chance of successful surgery if the surgeon values you as a patient.

D.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:39:00 AM by lopsided »

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Jeremy76761

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »
With 100% certainty I personally will be getting a MOM hip resurfacing from one of the top doctors on surface hippy. The only question is whether it will be Dr. de Smet or Derek McMinn. Closer to the time, knowing me, I’ll end up contacting all the top guys before finally picking one based on rapport and their answers.

But still, a resurfacing may or may not last all the way.

You see, I had always envisioned myself living to 100 in perfect health until finally dropping stone-dead on my centennial birthday with a beautiful woman under each arm, a Harley in the garage, and an empty bank account.

Now I’m facing the nightmarish prospect of old age in a wheel chair with worn out joints, a crabby attitude towards everyone around me, and no love-life other than a couple Eastern-European housekeepers from Perfect Wife Topless Maid Service. 

Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration. Maybe that’s not likely since resurfacing is so awesome. But I just want to be able to run full-speed to my own funeral. I want to be back to normal for the rest of my life (or close to it as possible!)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
I'd like to know how a RS has bee"converted" to one of theses since this looks similar to both a BHR and bmhrs. Shorely if a revision is done they have to remove the femoral neck!?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »
Well Danny, if you can get any questions answered about it, you are doing better than me. He wanted me to travel ten thousand kilometres, and pay a few hundred quid just to ask him a few questions.

Now I thought you said Mr. Treacy was great. Stick with him.

D.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
Not interested in seeing anyone but Mr Treacy lop. ( got my first appointment with him on the 21st of september on the NHS) I just think it's strange saying a HR can be converted to this as like I say surely "if" a revision is ever needed then they have to remove the femoral neck and go to a standard THR as surely the femoral cap wont come sliding off leaving the prepared femoral head for this to go on to!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Jeremy76761

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
These are all good questions.

Here's a quote that may be useful. Note that I had inquired into whether the Mitch per Mini-Hip could be used to replace a problematic HR.

"Thank you for your email enquiry of 4th July. You have enquired whether it is possible to convert a hip resurfacing to a mini hip.  To date, there are two recorded cases of this procedure being undertaken.  The first was by my friend, Dr Ribas in Barcelona.  Inspired by his success, I myself performed the same operation on a rugby player at the end of last year.  The proximal epiphyseal replacement (mini hip) is a form of resurfacing which is intended to mitigate some of the potential problems that may effect a conventional resurfacing.  Nevertheless, it is still susceptible to the problems of metal debris generation in exactly the same way as the standard resurfacing.  With regard to activities, the restrictions are no different from resurfacing.  Finally, you have asked how long this implant is projected to last.  The answer depends entirely on the biology of the individual in whom it is implanted and how their tissues respond to the alien lump of metal.  We do now have several studies published for standard resurfacing and these indicate that in the best hands, between 95 and 98% of male patients will still have their implant in situ at ten years.  I hope this information is of assistance to you."

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:04:32 PM by Jeremy76761 »

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
Congratulations on actually getting an answer out of him. "Inspired by his success", "The proximal epiphyseal replacement", "that may effect a conventional resurfacing", etc. Pity he could not reply in English.

"We do now have several studies published for standard resurfacing and these indicate that in the best hands, between 95 and 98% of male patients will still have their implant in situ at ten years.  I hope this information is of assistance to you."

So that means there are no studies of his device!

Jeremy76761

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
I think there are no studies because it has only been around about 2 years. There seem to have been only 2 revision from a HR so far.  What is great about new devices like this is that they offer hope that people with HRs that don't last forever might be able to continue their sporting lives as before.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:46:55 PM by Jeremy76761 »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal