+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Resurfacing contingencies  (Read 1539 times)

GIBLET88

Resurfacing contingencies
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:17 PM »
OK, say one is scheduled to have hip resurfacing and during the procedure the surgeon decides that a THR is indicated.
What are the best available options both in the US and world?
All I know is that a large diameter femoral component is generally recommended. I read Dr Bose comments that a short stem may not provide much benefit
I know Dr Bose uses the Delta motion ceramic on ceramic.
Any other options?
I think this is an important topic to be prepared to discuss with your surgeon before surgery. Each hospital may have different inventory, etc.... Another reason to have surgery in a major hospital with a world reknowned orthopedic dept.
I would imagine that Dr Su at HSS, would have more options than the local hospital.
Any thoughts?

hernanu

Re: Resurfacing contingencies
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:29 PM »
One good place to check is the devices area of the site.

I know two members: Lori Cee (BHMR?) and dbhearts (Corin Minihip) have both had intermediate devices and have been very successful with them. My brother in law had the Corin Minihip put in when his hip was found to be beyond the HR possibilities, and he is having a very good recovery after years of serious issues.

Ask Dr. Su about these and his thoughts, whether he or his staff use these. MOM THRs are also a good option.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:04 AM »
It is always best to ask what device will be used if a hip resurfacing is not possible.  Normally, if an experienced surgeons says they will do a resurfacing, they normally do that.  There is little chance of not getting one.  Again, always try to ask as many questions as possible so you will be prepared and now what you can expect.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
My surgeon warned me several times of the "contingency" possibility. 

But he also reassured me that he had never had to do it.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
That's a good question.  I recall my surgeon simply said that a THR wasn't going to happen.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Hummer

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »
I asked my surgeon Dr. Marwin same question and he told me that I won't need THR 100%.  The reason why I asked is because I had few cyst and my previous doctor who does only THR told me that I'm not good candidate for HR.  So I think if your surgeon has experience in HR he or she would know by looking at xray.
LBHR July 9, 2011 / Dr. Marwin

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:36:49 AM »
My surgeon talked about the very minimal possibility that he might have to convert to a THR.  He showed me the "parts" that he would use for both the resurfacing and the THR and how they fit into the bones (which I hope were fake bones).  I don't remember the name/manufacturer of device he would have used for the THR, but it looked very pretty!  Except for the long stake that would have been inserted into my femur.

If you are concerned about it, ask your doctor for the information before you let him operate on you.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »
I should have added, that I think it has a lot to do with the condition of the hip.  In my case, yeah I had moderate OA, but I did not have severe malformed parts and so I bet that plays into it a lot.  I'd like to think that any good surgeon would be able to identify that there may be a problem with HR by looking at the x-rays and that they would inform their patient about the potential for THR, midstream.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal