+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1 down 1 to go!!  (Read 3449 times)

got2newhips

1 down 1 to go!!
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
Hello all,
First hip done this morning, Dr. Gross stoppped by while I was in recovery and said it went "Perfect". Surgery was 1.5 hours. Checked in to the hospital at 6:30 and was in my room after surgery and recovery by 1:30. After they put in the spinal, I don't remember a thing until I woke up as they were putting me on a hospital bed to go to recovery - best sleep I've had in months (woke up refreshed)! 

No nausea problems, felt great and ate lunch (BBQ chicken was pretty good)  then had first PT session at around 4:30. Did first set of exercises, then got out of bed with no problems and walked the length of the hall twice with a walker. No pain, just tired muscle feeling - amazing!!!  I can feel some leg muscles starting to get sore from surgery, so I know that it'll be harder tomorrow, but today was unbelieveable.  The staff here has been great, and ALL have nothing but great things to say about Dr. Gross and how well his patient recover/progress.

Know I'm at the front of a long week, but I'm feeling great and look forward to getting this done!  More PT tomorrow, then #2 on Wednesday.  Cheers!!
LH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/25/2011
RH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/27/2011

hernanu

Re: 1 down 1 to go!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Excellent! great to hear everything went well. Once wednesday is through, you'll be fully on the path back. Feels great to get rid of that pain, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:24:14 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »
Congratulations!  Take it easy and keep in touch.  Great to hear things are going well.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

23109VC

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
AWESOME!

I walked those same halls a few months ago.

The soreness never got bad as long as I kept up on my meds. Just don't overdo it.  Take it easy.
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

einreb

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:20:24 PM »
The soreness never got bad as long as I kept up on my meds.

Congrats! 

Dont get behind on the pain meds.  You'll be off them before you know it, but now is not the time to pass them up.  I learned the hard way... ;)
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Dayton96

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:37:42 AM »
Great facility.  Great doctor.  Make sure you are clear on frequency and length of your meds though before you leave the hospital.  When I was there last March, I received written instructions from the hospital, from the pharmacy, and from Dr. Gross' office.  They did not always match and I had to call Lee to get it straightened out.  You might also want to ask Dr. Gross for your cup angle(s) before you leave.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:20:53 AM »
Two in one week...that's impressive!!

Congratulations on the first, and best of luck on the second.  You won't ever regret it.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

ohiotim

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
Congrats on your first!
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »
Congratulations!  It sounds awesome.  You're are giving me hope I will be the same in a week.

I got confirmation this morning that everything is a go.  Blood work and pre-op exam - check.  EKG and cardiologist review - check.  Insurance pre-authorization - check.  Post-op appointment scheduled - check.  Here goes nothing.

Best wishes on your recovery and second procedure.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
Good job.  I forgot you were doing 2 in a week and so I was going to say that it won't be that long of a week.  With your response to no.1, no. 2 shouldn't be bad at all.  Just keep an eye on your digestive system.  Intersted to hear more.  Take it easy.

Dano - I know the feeling, when you get all the pre-op stuff completed, there's a bit of an "oh crap" moment.  Then when I got out of the car at the hospital, I had one, and then also in the waiting roo, and then in pre-op room, until they dosed me up.  It'll be fine, look at 2new, 2 new whips in one week and feeling great. 

Hope you guys don't mind me messing with your handle, it's simply a term of endearment.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

got2newhips

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
Howdy again from South Carolina!  Took my pain meds last night, then had a great night's sleep (the first in several nights).  Had a good breakfast, then did another round of PT, then a meeting with an Occupation Therapist AND A SHOWER!!  Finished up the morning with a "Hip Group" meeting with other Dr. Gross patients (including another bi-lat).  Dr. Gross dropped by this morning with a copy of the x-ray of my first hip taken after surgery.  Pretty cool.

Dan, I had somewhat similar feelings leading up to the surgery.  Got surgery scheduled, air travel, hotel and, went through all of the pre-opt tests, always with a little thought in the back of my head that something would probably get messed up and cause a delay.  But nothing did. Even when my internist kind of slow rolled my medical release, I managed to get it wrapped up.  Then the final test; we headed to the airport last Sunday for an 8am flight, but due to an incredilby slow dimwit at curbside baggage check, we "missed the bag check cutoff" even though we had been waiting for 15 minutes.  So we went upstairs to regular check in, and they had the same story; sorry, we can't check them, you'll have to take another flight. Unfortunately there WERE no other flights, as we'd made these reservations months back, and flights to Columbia are scarce.  At that point, I could have chickened out (it would have been easy; what a great excuse). But at that moment I realized how committed I was to getting this done and having my life back.  SO, long story short, we made it with bags arriving later in the day. 

After unwinding from that mess, I started to not worry about it so much.  We were in Columbia, my family was with me, I had done all of my research and would be in the hands of one of the best surgeons in the world.  It was time to trust the decision and go. Was still afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep, but when I rolled over and got that sharp hip pain that knocks the wind out of you and, all worries about the surgery disappeared - I was across the street from the hospital and now it was just a matter of waiting for the clock to wind down.  To tell the truth, I was a bit surprised at my level of calm leading up to the OR; I was there for the ride, no turning back.

You can do this.  Don't overthink it.  You've picked the best doctor, and he and his team won't let you down.  #2 for me is at 10:30 tomorrow morning. Good luck to you.  Git 'er done!!

Richard
LH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/25/2011
RH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/27/2011

Anniee

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »
Richard,

Congratulations and best of luck with your second surgery tomorrow!  I agree with Mac to get clarity on your meds before you leave the hospital.  Are they going to keep you until Friday?
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
Richard,

Sorry about the late reply tonight. You may be zonked out by now. You experienced the same thing that I did on the morning of my first surgery. I thought I would be running for the doors to get out but it's just not that way at all. I too was amazingly calm, just a little anxious watching the clock wind down to O.R. time. Sounds like you did real well on your first one and believe me the second will go just as well. Wait until you get the x-ray pic of both hips done, it's really cool looking. You will get a laminated wallet card of the x-ray to carry with you. When you feel how smooth the new hips work you won't believe it. You'll feel that when you go for your walks around the hospital.

The physical therapists are the best. Dr. Gross is very strict with what exercises they are to do with his patients. You have another bi-lat with you? That's really cool. I was the only one when I was there. There were three others who had one done.

Good advice you gave to Dan. Hey, if it was horrible we would say so. It's just not near as bad as we imagine it will be.

Can't wait to hear from you tomorrow after #2. Go to it!   8)

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
Congrats on the new hip.  My first step was so painful. I almost passed out.  You are doing incredible. It only gets better. Good luck.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
Hey good luck today, Richard - you're an old vet now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »
Richard - I really like the "git -r-done" attitude.  Thats what it takes sometimes and it gives me and probably others here encouragement and a motiviated attitude.  Looking forward to the next update.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat